Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Great Sweater Search

Josephine

One Too Many
Cherry_Bombb said:
...she prefers to wear her cashmere cardigans BACKWARDS and with the top one or two buttons opened for "flair". It didn't show a picture of her in this sweater, but I could picture it: tight-ish sweater, waist length, pushed up or 3/4 sleeves, over a slinky tank.

So the buttons are running down your back? And the tag is at your throat? Is the slinky tank visible?

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Yea I love sweaters! Now that I am moving back to the east coast I get to wear them on a regular basis! I actually have a vintage men's sweater that I picked up at a thrift store on 8th in NYC a few years back. It's a greyish oatmeal color with a big collar, and it doesn't quite fit right, but it has turned into a CharlieBrown sweater- that is my go to. I love it.

PS

A-List Customer
HTML:
I tried it out, and I don't think I'll ever be able to wear a cardi any other way. It has a certain appeal to it!

We are going to need a picture! I think I can see it. I am thinking this would only work with vintage sweaters...most more modern ones I come across are on the longer side.......

Snookie

Practically Family
Wearing cardigans backwards was really popular with teenage girls in the 50's...they don't show it in the Sears catalog, but you can see it in photos of daily life. I don't know how this trend started - I always just assumed it was that teenagers have always been a little tweaked (even in the 50's). Maybe Marilyn popularized the style?

Fancy Mouse

Familiar Face
I love cardigans and wear them with pencil skirts, circle skirts, pleated skirts, jeans, trousers, over the top of dresses... I would love to buy some of the beautiful beaded vintage cardigans I've seen, but I haven't found any that fit yet. I do have a beautiful sherbert-orange coloured modern cardigan embellished with a small flower and leaf design made from ribbon and trimmed with beads. I've worn it whenever possible since I bought it.

Now I wish it wasn't heading into summer!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I have mapped out a plan for some inexpensive cashmere cardigans I purchased at the end of the season last year. Every once in a while I stumble across a fantastic print on table linens and I buy them. I don't really every use them unfortunately and they seem to just sit in my drawer. One is quite damaged however. It does have these darling little birds on it though. I want to cut out a couple and embroider them on one of these cardigans. Something different - a little anthropogie I guess.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Embroidered or beaded cardigans are my downfall. I like it that a plain, modern cashmere sweater looks vintage without much work if you pair it with a classic skirt and some vintage jewelry too.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt said:
I have mapped out a plan for some inexpensive cashmere cardigans I purchased at the end of the season last year. Every once in a while I stumble across a fantastic print on table linens and I buy them. I don't really every use them unfortunately and they seem to just sit in my drawer. One is quite damaged however. It does have these darling little birds on it though. I want to cut out a couple and embroider them on one of these cardigans. Something different - a little anthropogie I guess.
That sounds like it will be very cute. I may have to try that.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I LOVE cardis, but unfortunately mine are all too big. I bought a couple cheap, very modern looking ones (bulky yarns, tunic length, one is empire waist) simply because I need the warmth. I have a couple vintage knitting books, so I guess I'll start knitting some for myself. My biggest complaint is that with an average of size 3 needles, they'll take forever to knit.

carter

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
We are going to need a picture! I think I can see it. I am thinking this would only work with vintage sweaters...most more modern ones I come across are on the longer side.......

YES! We do need pictures. Five pages and NO PICTURES?

What Sweater(s) are You Wearing Today?
:D

sararebecca

New in Town
Sweaters = <3!!

I looove sweaters so much; it's a shame I have so few of them :cry: But anyway, I got this really soft gray v-neck from Target a few weeks ago. It's sooo comfortable and goes with pretty much anything. I'm not sure how vintage-y it looks, but I love it nonetheless :)

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I love cardigans and wear them pretty much everyday! I've got modern ones, vintage beaded ones from the 1950s and cropped bolero style ones with a collar. I don't tend to wear my vintage ones to work so stick to the modern ones with a brooch attached. I love that they go with pretty much everything - over dresses, over a shirt with high waisted jeans, with a skirt (swing or pencil) etc.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I love the backward cardi idea.
I have a question about cardigans.A blouse with a modern cardigan is too bulky on me,so I normally wear it with a tank top.
What are some dressier options under the cardigans that are still work appropriate?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I got a super cute deep red cable knit sweater this weekend. There are no tags but it looks similar to some in the 1950's sears catologue. It has 3/4 sleeves and a very high neck.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am currently wearing my most fancy cardi (a Ralph Lauren Black label red cashmere with pearl buttons) backwards! I love it. I expect my fellow students to give me a hard time. I intend to raise an eyebrow at them and make them feel like they really ought to have been wearing their sweaters this way all along.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Cardigan pictures?

OK, can someone take a picture of themselves in a cardigan worn backwards? I tried wearing it this a.m. and I just looked silly--like I had put the thing on backwards and not very stylish at all! lol Maybe I just don't have the right style/length of cardigan or it just doesn't suit my body type. So if anyone has some pictures of themselves wearing really cool-looking cardigans, can you post them please?
Inquiring minds want to know....

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm currently bidding on my first vintage sweater. No other bids and it ends in 10 minutes. I'm very excited!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner