Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Gurkhas win in court!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Bravo!

I believe this says it all.

"Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said it was a "wonderful vindication" for those who had campaigned for a change in the law.

"I've always felt that if someone is prepared to die for this country, then they should have the right to live in this country," he said."

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Long overdue and it should never have even gotten to this point.

Finally we see justice for the Gurkhas.

RIOT

Practically Family
For all the sacrifices they have done under the union jack, it's about time! Well deserved! :eusa_clap

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Dear Herbie...

That was my 'judgement call' to lock the thread.
With respect, a sticky had been advertised and placed at the top of the room for ALL members concerned about the plight of former British Army Gurkhas to access and petition No.10 Downing Street in the most relevent, organised and effective way. It will remain there until November.

Namaste, Paddy M.

Rufus

Practically Family
Cheers Paddy!
(Were you in the services?)
Everyone in the UK, please still sign, although the test case was one, the Government still has to act upon the judgement so pressure from the people is necessary.

The Gurkhas have fought for our freedom, the least we can do is help them in any small way possible, and signing the Downing street petition is a good place to start.

Also, email your MP..

Thanks everyone, and as Paddy said, Namaste.

Ruf

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Paddy,

As always, I respect your judgement.

It is my opinion that the Ghurka ex-servicemen and their dependents need all the publicity they can get for their worthy cause, as well as assistance of a more practical and material nature. As you know, I have been to Nepal recently and, believe me, allowing aged ex-servicemen into the UK for medical treatment will merely scratch the surface of the problems in Nepal, which is one of the four poorest nations on earth.

Contributions to the Ghurka Welfare Trust benefit people 'back home' and are always welcome. I don't see that drawing attention to that charity and ways it could be funded in the original thread was in any way against the guidelines of the forum. However, if I did breach any guidelines, I apologise.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My favorite quote

"The judge, Mr Justice Blake, said the Gurkhas' long service, conspicuous acts of bravery and loyalty to the Crown all pointed to a 'moral debt of honour' and gratitude felt by British people."

H.Johnson

One Too Many
But...

...predictably, the UK Government is now saying that in times of financial stricture the cost of meeting its obligation to pre-1997 Ghurka ex-service people is 'too expensive'. It estimates the cost in pension and welfare at an extra 3 billion.

It can be argued that this figure is not valid, as it is a comparison with the present cost (which has been shown to be against fairness and natural justice) rather than the alternative cost of recruiting and providing for UK service personnel.

If the cost of maintaining and providing retirement for a Ghurka regiment are compared with that of an indigenous regiment, the difference is far less.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I'm not sure if this is appropriate, as the Bartenders have in the past removed my posts relating to corporate donations the Ghurka Welfare Trust. I don't see anything on a 'sticky' to say we can't mention worthy charities, so here is another plug and a good read, which I have just finished:

'Ghurka Reivers' by Neil Griffiths. Neil (an ex-soldier and keen hill walker) does a charity walk for the GWT on a 'tough hill walk' in Scotland with a group of Ghurkas. He finds it hard to keep up. I could have told him that, as I have been long-distance walking (and running) with Ghurkas - these guys are amazingly fit. A part of the proceeds from the book go to the GWT, I understand. I recommend it anyway, as an insight into our charismatic Nepali friends.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
General disappointment

The latest categories for admission to thr UK for Ghurka veterans continues to evade the issue. The government says that it will allow a further 4300 to live in the UK - but the three qualifications to this are:
1. Must have won a high decoration for valour.
2. Must have 20 years or more service.
3. Must have a permanent disability directly attributable to service in the British Army.

So - decoration for valour - in what war? Period of service in the new legislation doesn't necessarily 'map onto' situations in which medals can be won, but still where loyal service (e.g. as peace keepers) was given.

Other ranks' and NCOs' terms of service doesn't stretch to 20 years - Unless I'm mistaken this only applies to commissioned officers.

Unless you can afford to employ a top class-action lawyer, it can be difficult to prove (against a Government!) that your disability was caused by military service.

Shame - again!!!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The support party has just left the Houses of Parliament after meeting with ministers and (although they can't say anything until the official announcement at noon) I have never seen Miss Lumley looking happier or more lovely.

I think they have won!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I was right!

All Ghurkas who have served for more that four years are now eligible to enter the UK.

The UK Government has seen sense - about time, too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner