Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hair Tutorials thread

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
Since this is the "hair tutorials thread" I thought I'd post some interesting finds when looking for inspiration. 40s gals may enjoy this. Personally I work for late 40s in my searches. I didn't want to link/upload the photos since they're massive, and I hate massive images stretching a post as it is. Personal taste from when I used to admin forums back in the day.

This has illustrations with written instructions on how to style these looks: Click Here

This tells you how to work with hair extensions to get your desired chignon. Click Here

HatLoverGirl

New in Town
This is so helpful! Thank you for sharing

So I've been threatening to start this thread, and I am finally getting around to it! I will add on as I come across things I think everyone might like, and please add anything you love that I didn't!

I have this list on my blog as well and will continue adding to it, so you can find a nice, concise, updated version here: Timescandal Tutorials

Basic Hairstyling Techniques

PART I – “Pin Curling 101″: Concepts and Advanced Technique

PART II – “Pin Curling 101″: Concepts and Advanced Technique

‘Poifect Pin Coils!” (Or ‘How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pin Curl Set’)

Pin Curls Part Two-Brushing It Out…

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques~Fingerwaving for Beginners

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques-The ‘Middy’ Haircut

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques-Styling the ‘Middy’!

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques: The Side Reverse Roll

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques: The Top Reverse Roll or Pomp…

Retro/ Vintage Hair Tips

1940s Hairstyle: hot roller set

Styles

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques~The 1940′s Pageboy

Pin Curl Waaaaaaaves – PART 1

Pin Curl Waaaaaaaves – PART 2

PART 1: Pretty, Polished, Playful Pin Curls!! A 1950s Hairstyle Tutorial

PART 2: Pretty, Polished, Playful Pin Curls!! A 1950s Hairstyle Tutorial

By Request: Pin Up Up-do Inspired by Doris Mayday

1940s Hair Tutorial Part 1

1940s Hair Tutorial Part 2

Quick Vintage Hairstyle

1940s Faux Bangs

Romantic, Braided Updo

1940s inspired *pin-up hair tutorial

40s working girl scarf hairstyle

Retro updo: Rosette Hair!

ClassyMica

New in Town
So I've been threatening to start this thread, and I am finally getting around to it! I will add on as I come across things I think everyone might like, and please add anything you love that I didn't!

I have this list on my blog as well and will continue adding to it, so you can find a nice, concise, updated version here: Timescandal Tutorials

Basic Hairstyling Techniques

PART I – “Pin Curling 101″: Concepts and Advanced Technique

PART II – “Pin Curling 101″: Concepts and Advanced Technique

‘Poifect Pin Coils!” (Or ‘How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pin Curl Set’)

Pin Curls Part Two-Brushing It Out…

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques~Fingerwaving for Beginners

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques-The ‘Middy’ Haircut

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques-Styling the ‘Middy’!

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques: The Side Reverse Roll

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques: The Top Reverse Roll or Pomp…

Retro/ Vintage Hair Tips

1940s Hairstyle: hot roller set

Styles

Authentic Vintage Hair Techniques~The 1940′s Pageboy

Pin Curl Waaaaaaaves – PART 1

Pin Curl Waaaaaaaves – PART 2

PART 1: Pretty, Polished, Playful Pin Curls!! A 1950s Hairstyle Tutorial

PART 2: Pretty, Polished, Playful Pin Curls!! A 1950s Hairstyle Tutorial

By Request: Pin Up Up-do Inspired by Doris Mayday

1940s Hair Tutorial Part 1

1940s Hair Tutorial Part 2

Quick Vintage Hairstyle

1940s Faux Bangs

Romantic, Braided Updo

1940s inspired *pin-up hair tutorial

40s working girl scarf hairstyle

Retro updo: Rosette Hair!

This thread is absolutely incredible! Thank you for taking the time to put this together. SO happy I found this.

Alli Ooh

New in Town
I have been trying to find 1920’s-30’s style tutorials for long hair (mine is to my low back), but having trouble. I’m just not that good with my hair, so I can look at pictures all day, but the styling still eludes me. If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it!

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
I have been trying to find 1920’s-30’s style tutorials for long hair (mine is to my low back), but having trouble. I’m just not that good with my hair, so I can look at pictures all day, but the styling still eludes me. If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it![/QUOTE]"]

I don't visit as often as I should... but if you can, offer a few photos of the style your looking for. I've played with quite a few methods in my day. Is this something you're after? Or this perhaps?

If you're after the finger wave swooshiness on the "large" side, you'll need some duckbill clips and a quick dry hairspray (I love L'Oreal Lock It). After having done a curl set of some kind, once you brush out the curls, you go with the natural S curl waves that develop as you carefully sculpt them. You have to comb, hold down a section with your index and middle fingers, then add a duckbill clip. As you move from roots to ends, the bits in between the clips will create a peaked wave. Once I have what I want without it being weighed down too much, I'll lightly hairspray while running the hair dryer on low. It's much easier to instantly seal the fingerwaves. I've never really seen anyone else do it this way. This is just my method without using heat.

There are fingerwave curling irons as well, but you'll need a curling iron or wand to finish off the ends. Now, I never get to see the back of their heads, but with most hairstyles, all the attention is on the deep hair part, while the back just blends into the waves or sculpted curls.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I suppose it's better to post this here than in the show us your hair thread -- I filmed a follow along with me video for my youtube page, Lolita Haze for a 1940s setting pattern called Feather Bangs. You can watch the video as well as check out my blog, Vintage Starlet for more photos.

1940sFeatherBangsYoutubeThumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

blissann

New in Town
I have still not had a haircut after lockdown got over. But today I did get a message from the girl who usually cuts my hair about her switching phone numbers so hopefully I can manage things soon. I wanna get two block haircut as I haven't had my hair cut since about the middle of March.

Last edited:

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Hello, I have done a series of very easy vintage hair styling videos. And you can also check out more content over on my youtube channel VeganVintageGeek.

Sorry about the audio on this video it sounded fine when I uploaded it.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Any tips for frizzy, shoulder length hair? Thanks:)
Its all in the way you brush out your hair. And what a lot of women/girls do not know, even though you have curly or wavy hair rolling or pin curling your hair will absolutely help when trying to tame those frizzies.

You'll need start with damp hair, get a spray bottle of water and lightly spray the ends of your hair as you roll your hair. No need to spray your hair first.

And as for the brush out here are my favorites.

And I highly recommend getting a brush with nylon bristles. This is the best one I found so far.
Denman Brush
https://www.jcpenney.com/p/denman-d3-iconic-medium-styling-detangling-brush/ppr5007932668?pTmplType=regular&country=US&currency=USD&selectedSKUId=06536300018&selectedLotId=0653630&fromBag=true&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Brushes&utm_content=06536300018&cid=cse|bing|Unisex Adult|Brushes_06536300018&msclkid=92a9411aa7fa1c26250d1e6e66d17227&gclid=92a9411aa7fa1c26250d1e6e66d17227&gclsrc=3p.ds

I went to Sally Beauty and bought the cheaper brush that looks just like the Denman brush only while I was cleaning it the brush broke off the handle, and now I am holding the brush pieces together with two rubber bands.:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk