The Hair Tutorials thread

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by Tatum, May 26, 2011.

1. AvavanBlythe

AvavanBlythe Familiar Face

Since this is the "hair tutorials thread" I thought I'd post some interesting finds when looking for inspiration. 40s gals may enjoy this. Personally I work for late 40s in my searches. I didn't want to link/upload the photos since they're massive, and I hate massive images stretching a post as it is. Personal taste from when I used to admin forums back in the day.

This has illustrations with written instructions on how to style these looks: Click Here

This tells you how to work with hair extensions to get your desired chignon. Click Here

2. ashleysummer

ashleysummer Banned

I like changes in everything. Especially what concerns my appearance. The easiest way to change is to style something new on my head. This gallery of hairstyles helps me a lot.

3. HatLoverGirl

HatLoverGirl New in Town

This is so helpful! Thank you for sharing

4. ClassyMica

ClassyMica New in Town

This thread is absolutely incredible! Thank you for taking the time to put this together. SO happy I found this.

Tatum likes this.
  5. Alli Ooh

Alli Ooh New in Town

I have been trying to find 1920’s-30’s style tutorials for long hair (mine is to my low back), but having trouble. I’m just not that good with my hair, so I can look at pictures all day, but the styling still eludes me. If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it!

Dixie_Amazon likes this.
  6. AvavanBlythe

AvavanBlythe Familiar Face

I have been trying to find 1920’s-30’s style tutorials for long hair (mine is to my low back), but having trouble. I’m just not that good with my hair, so I can look at pictures all day, but the styling still eludes me. If anyone could help me out, I would appreciate it![/QUOTE]"]

I don't visit as often as I should... but if you can, offer a few photos of the style your looking for. I've played with quite a few methods in my day. Is this something you're after? Or this perhaps?

If you're after the finger wave swooshiness on the "large" side, you'll need some duckbill clips and a quick dry hairspray (I love L'Oreal Lock It). After having done a curl set of some kind, once you brush out the curls, you go with the natural S curl waves that develop as you carefully sculpt them. You have to comb, hold down a section with your index and middle fingers, then add a duckbill clip. As you move from roots to ends, the bits in between the clips will create a peaked wave. Once I have what I want without it being weighed down too much, I'll lightly hairspray while running the hair dryer on low. It's much easier to instantly seal the fingerwaves. I've never really seen anyone else do it this way. This is just my method without using heat.

There are fingerwave curling irons as well, but you'll need a curling iron or wand to finish off the ends. Now, I never get to see the back of their heads, but with most hairstyles, all the attention is on the deep hair part, while the back just blends into the waves or sculpted curls.

7. JenniferYusi

JenniferYusi New in Town

Thank you so much for sharing!

8. LolitaHaze

LolitaHaze Call Me a Cab

I suppose it's better to post this here than in the show us your hair thread -- I filmed a follow along with me video for my youtube page, Lolita Haze for a 1940s setting pattern called Feather Bangs. You can watch the video as well as check out my blog, Vintage Starlet for more photos.

1940sFeatherBangsYoutubeThumbnail.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020