Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hatco Outlet Store in Garland, TX

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Wlcm Karl. It would cost abt $20 to get it to one of us PLUS another "X" amount to ship it overseas...
i'm in the middle of buying three hats, i think after that i'll have my european stable. Come the new year i want some very sought after ametican lids. And if you are willing bob, i'll try and ship 'em through you? Problem as i see it is that i can't even bid on conus or US delivery only hats, i've tried, quality lids, buyer puts conus only, which means, money and fear i'm a crook aside, time on your side. It's a bit much to ask imo.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
i'm in the middle of buying three hats, i think after that i'll have my european stable. Come the new year i want some very sought after ametican lids. And if you are willing bob, i'll try and ship 'em through you? Problem as i see it is that i can't even bid on conus or US delivery only hats, i've tried, quality lids, buyer puts conus only, which means, money and fear i'm a crook aside, time on your side. It's a bit much to ask imo.
If its simple and in black and white You can give me some details and I can try...

Last edited:

KarlCrow

One Too Many
As long as

If its simple and in black and white You can give me some details and I can try...
you are a nice man, that much is very obvious and just amazing. When one points out a fact like that on the internet it's looked down upon essentially by people on the internet so people like me and like them or am I them. I love being amazed by people on the internet. But you are top drawer.
Thanks.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
you are a nice man, that much is very obvious and just amazing. When one points out a fact like that on the internet it's looked down upon essentially by people on the internet so people like me and like them or am I them. I love being amazed by people on the internet. But you are top drawer.
Thanks.
Thank you Karl. I think many of our friends here would all help if possible.

I have also helped out my "foreign" friends on other hobby items previously. Bob is closer than be being on the East Coast, shipping may be better for him. We have your back buddy.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
I think I'm stopping by there Monday to pick up some hat boxes. Contact me if you want something shipped overseas. I've done it many times for people in the U.K. And Australia.
thanks for the offer Bill, i'm buying some hats this week which should sate my appetite for a while, hopefully be posting them in 'new hats' soon, and actually i think you'll enjoy the images. i'm very excited, but i may take you up on that at a later date, when i get a bit of savings up again. It's a kind offer. (-:

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does anyone really think the Outlet stores are there to sell $300 hats for $64.00? Does anyone really think they can even make a fur felt hat for $64.00?
Of course not. I'm sure they would prefer to close the outlet store and sell everything at the asking retail price. The outlet store is there to recoup some money vs. a total loss for seconds. But just like any retailer, inventory that is sitting on the self not selling is lost money. So retailers send the merchandise back for credit. Then HatCo can either ship to another retailer, sit on the product, or move it to the outlet store to at least get something.

Like I said I have a few from there. I go over them very carefully. If I can't find any fault (and I always assume that there is a flaw) and I don't have anything vintage of that color, I may buy it. For example a black Pinnacle for $64.50 I bought in February. It's a pretty nice hat. I bought a Grand Central silverbelly at the same time for $45.00. Took it with me earlier this month to Alaska. Was not the slightest bit worried it would get damaged or lost overboard. It was only $45.00 and not vintage.

But when you get right down to it they are still mass production hats. And I would assume anything acquired from there to be a second. With or without the hole in the hatband. And I have yet to find a hat there that I would trade for one of my vintage fedoras.

Revenger

New in Town
Does anyone really think the Outlet stores are there to sell $300 hats for $64.00? Does anyone really think they can even make a fur felt hat for $64.00?
I'd actually be interested to know how much it costs HatCo to produce the average fur felt hat.

Of course not. I'm sure they would prefer to close the outlet store and sell everything at the asking retail price. The outlet store is there to recoup some money vs. a total loss for seconds. But just like any retailer, inventory that is sitting on the self not selling is lost money. So retailers send the merchandise back for credit. Then HatCo can either ship to another retailer, sit on the product, or move it to the outlet store to at least get something.

Like I said I have a few from there. I go over them very carefully. If I can't find any fault (and I always assume that there is a flaw) and I don't have anything vintage of that color, I may buy it. For example a black Pinnacle for $64.50 I bought in February. It's a pretty nice hat. I bought a Grand Central silverbelly at the same time for $45.00. Took it with me earlier this month to Alaska. Was not the slightest bit worried it would get damaged or lost overboard. It was only $45.00 and not vintage.

But when you get right down to it they are still mass production hats. And I would assume anything acquired from there to be a second. With or without the hole in the hatband. And I have yet to find a hat there that I would trade for one of my vintage fedoras.

I live close to an Outlet & have been going there for yrs. I would agree with your statement, "The outlet store is there to recoup some money vs. a total loss for seconds." But I totally disagree with your comment, "But just like any retailer, inventory that is sitting on the self not selling is lost money. So retailers send the merchandise back for credit."

What retailers return for credit are hats received that do not pass their own quality inspection, not hats they are not selling in a timely fashion. Fruno (Jim) has posted numerous times that Gus Miller told him the reason Batsakes stopped selling Stetson hats was because of the number of rejects they were receiving, the time spent on sorting & the minor repairs they were making rather than returning so many rejects for credit.

Retail businesses fail every yr because of poor inventory control & cash management. Ordering 500 hats for stock, expecting to return for credit anything they didn't sell in a timely fashion would be bad business practices for both the retailer & the vendor. Manufacturing companies fail for the same reason. I would love to buy a new $45,000 Chevrolet or Ford truck for $15,000 because the factory or dealers were "overstocked".

Some of the hats at the Outlet are actually factory seconds caught by HatCo's QC dept. Between the dealer rejects & the QC rejects is the reason why most of the hats have the dealer names embossed on the sweats. The hole punch is so hats can not be purchased at the Outlet & returned to a retailer for full credit. No returns are allowed for hats with hole punched sweats.

I've got no problem with buying at the Outlet; just know what you're buying. But what makes me bristle are sellers on eBay selling hats they claim are "closeouts" & not revealing the hole punch or the fact they are factory seconds. Remember the old saying, "if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is".

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I live close to an Outlet & have been going there for yrs. I would agree with your statement, "The outlet store is there to recoup some money vs. a total loss for seconds." But I totally disagree with your comment, "But just like any retailer, inventory that is sitting on the self not selling is lost money. So retailers send the merchandise back for credit."

What retailers return for credit are hats received that do not pass their own quality inspection, not hats they are not selling in a timely fashion. Fruno (Jim) has posted numerous times that Gus Miller told him the reason Batsakes stopped selling Stetson hats was because of the number of rejects they were receiving, the time spent on sorting & the minor repairs they were making rather than returning so many rejects for credit.

Retail businesses fail every yr because of poor inventory control & cash management. Ordering 500 hats for stock, expecting to return for credit anything they didn't sell in a timely fashion would be bad business practices for both the retailer & the vendor. Manufacturing companies fail for the same reason. I would love to buy a new $45,000 Chevrolet or Ford truck for $15,000 because the factory or dealers were "overstocked".

Some of the hats at the Outlet are actually factory seconds caught by HatCo's QC dept. Between the dealer rejects & the QC rejects is the reason why most of the hats have the dealer names embossed on the sweats. The hole punch is so hats can not be purchased at the Outlet & returned to a retailer for full credit. No returns are allowed for hats with hole punched sweats.

I've got no problem with buying at the Outlet; just know what you're buying. But what makes me bristle are sellers on eBay selling hats they claim are "closeouts" & not revealing the hole punch or the fact they are factory seconds. Remember the old saying, "if a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is".
I don't believe any of my outlet hats were branded with dealer names. Some hats are also brought to trade shows and manufacturers conventions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR