Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The House in the Middle"

JimWagner

Practically Family
Notice the sponsors:

Producer: National Paint, Varnish and Lacquer Association
Sponsor: National Clean Up-Paint Up-Fix Up Bureau. Produced with the cooperation of the Federal Civil Defense Administration.

Guess my house would just melt since it's covered in vinyl siding.

Connery

One Too Many
I will have the nicest house on the block and approximately six weeks to enjoy it before I am dead.lol I better cleanup and paint up.......NOW!:p

DNO

One Too Many
Gee whiz...guess I'm lucky my house is double brick. That way I won't have to worry about a fire in those few milliseconds between the flash and the blast...and I wasted all that money on fire extinguishers.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Gotta love vintage propaganda. Your house may be standing after the blast, but never mind the fallout! lol And wow, their idea of clutter is a phone book and a newspaper on the end table. :eek: By their standards, I'm the worst housewife in the world. :p

rue

Gotta love vintage propaganda. Your house may be standing after the blast, but never mind the fallout! lol And wow, their idea of clutter is a phone book and a newspaper on the end table. :eek: By their standards, I'm the worst housewife in the world. :p

I thought the same thing lol
No...fool that I am. My tabletops are not particularly tidy and the plastic...if only I'd known!

Well, see now it's too late.... shakeshead

:p

LizzieMaine

Bartender
An awful lot of the campy cold-war stuff you see on the Internet is fake, cooked up by smirking hipsters anxious to point out how stupid their grandparents were.

flobar.jpg

This, however, is not such a fake. Flobar was real, advertised in all the best publications, and was eventually put out of business by the Federal Trade Commission.

DNO

One Too Many
There may be fakery out there but I remember "duck and cover". I also have a very clear memory of the near panic caused by the Cuban Missile Crisis. I remember people talking about building backyard fallout shelters. I remember diagrams of the 'blast radius' of an 'x' kiloton nuclear bomb. There was a very real fear of nuclear war...I grew up with it. I suspect that the authorities, faced with the fact that a nuclear war would bring unimaginable destruction, had to come up with some way of making the people feel that they could do something to survive. Hence, the Flobar...and duck and cover. The end of the cold war brought enormous relief.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart