Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Importance of Clothing: the View of a Rabbi

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I saw this on Jewish World Review and thought some of you might be interested. An excerpt:

The influence of clothing on a person cannot be underestimated. Clothes don't only "make the man" in the eyes of others — they define the person in his own eyes, and create his self-perspective.

A person who follows the lead of less-refined elements of society is identifying with them to some degree. He will feel differently about himself and will be less inhibited in his behavior. On the other hand, a neatly groomed and more formally attired person is associating himself with a more refined class of society. This will influence his self-image and his conduct will tend to be more dignified as a result.​

The rest of the article regards the story of Jacob and Esau and standards of dress as stated by the Torah (old testament).

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
I agree - and since I am Jewish and went as a shepherd on Halloween....

b117436860.jpg

b116878905.jpg

;)

Regards,

Matt

Weston

A-List Customer
A mighty beard you have sir. :) Oh, to have such costumes in these parts! I saw a young girl as half-angel, half-devil. "Truth in advertising?" I said. :)

Great costume too. Agreed about clothing – I find I choose mine based on how I feel that particular day.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I concur. Dress like a shlump,...become a shlump. At least make an effort to project some semblance of being civilized, and who knows, civility may be the end result. Clothes don't always make the man, but they can make a statement about an individual's individuality, or lack thereof.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
We've had the shared experiences of many of our members here to attest to the good Rabbi's words. How many times have we seen a newer member post something like "Since I came here, I've been trying to dress well, and wow, I feel better about myself, and people treat me with more respect."
:eusa_clap

vonwotan

Practically Family
Paisley, Thank you. I enjoyed the article. Growing up in New York, in our neighborhood, we heard a similar message from teachers, parents and friends and it's been hard to shake. Now that I'm a bit older and, only moderately wiser, I'm quite happy that we did not give in to the urge to be slovenly.

I'm happy to report that an increasing number of our young employees are stepping up their efforts to dress well and, they have remarked that they feel better about themselves and their working environment as a result.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ormbingley