Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Today's choice: the 1930's German 'Panonia' (Guben!?) you all may know/remember

44909678de.jpg
44909675wm.jpg

Cambiaghi woolfelt heather felt in an interesting design. Turns out to be a size 54 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Wonder about the age of this one. Old, but not that old. Forties maybe? To be fair to the seller, the size tag was somewhere behind the sweatband and I only paid €3 for it.

cambiaghi heather_1.jpg

cambiaghi heather_2.jpg

cambiaghi heather_3.jpg

cambiaghi heather_4.jpg

cambiaghi heather_5.jpg

cambiaghi heather_6.jpg

cambiaghi heather_7.jpg

cambiaghi heather_8.jpg

cambiaghi heather_9.jpg

Arlesia woolfelt feora. Size 56 with the overwelt brim at 5cm and the crwon at 11cm at the center dent. That it's at the bottom of the heap of this batch doesn't mean it's a bad hat. As far as woolfelts go it's quite good actually. What made me buy it is that I already own an Arlesia woolfelt brown lords hat I really like. No labels underneath the sweatband.

arlesia black_1.jpg

arlesia black_2.jpg

arlesia black_3.jpg

arlesia black_4.jpg

arlesia black_5.jpg

arlesia black_6.jpg

arlesia black_7.jpg

arlesia black_8.jpg

arlesia black_9.jpg

Uncle Will

New in Town
Today's choice: the 1930's German 'Panonia' (Guben!?) you all may know/remember

44909678de.jpg
44909675wm.jpg
Matt, that's a beautiful hat, the brim is so nicely swept from a sharp curve in the back to an almost straight line at the front, viewed in profile. The shape is so nice, all around. It's good to see folks dressing nicely for travel. I do that too as a reaction to people flying in their pajamas.

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Matt, that's a beautiful hat, the brim is so nicely swept from a sharp curve in the back to an almost straight line at the front, viewed in profile. The shape is so nice, all around. It's good to see folks dressing nicely for travel. I do that too as a reaction to people flying in their pajamas.
Thank you very much, Sir! Although it is a wool felt, so often falsely claimed to be inferior and lose shape in the rain, this hat has kept its original shape for 90 years. This is what this thread is for...

Completely forgot to post this one here. Nice one to give this thread a bump.

Ryn'h (probably pronounced "rinnash") woolfelt fedora in grey heather. Size 58 with the raw edge brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 10 cm at the center dent. Likely thirties or maybe early forties. Weighs 134 grams, which isn't too heavy for a woolfelt hat. The felt is quite thin as well. The moth certainly had a go at it, but it doesn't show all that much on the heather felt. It has lost its crown patch along the way. Nice woolfelt survivor.

RynH_01.jpg

RynH_02.jpg

RynH_03.jpg

RynH_04.jpg

RynH_06.jpg

RynH_07.jpg

RynH_08.jpg

RynH_09.jpg

RynH_10.jpg

RynH_11.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Cross posting here at the request of a friend, a Thibet by Jean Bourrel Manufacture De Chapeaux:
20230509_165451.jpg
A real gem!
It has all the features I like in a French hat:
- the manufacturer Jean Bourrel
- the quality of construction under the Thibet brand
- shape and finish
- it's my size
What more can I ask for?
An owner willing to trade :)

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
A real gem!
- shape and finish
- it's my size
What more can I ask for?

I appreciate the kind sentiments, Daniele, but as this arrived only earlier this summer I will be holding onto it for the time being. As a beneficiary of a past exchange with you I know a trade would yield a wonderful hat in return. Should circumstances change you will be the first in line for this Thibet. :)

PanosChris

Practically Family

Ryn'h (probably pronounced "rinnash") woolfelt fedora in grey heather. Size 58 with the raw edge brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 10 cm at the center dent. Likely thirties or maybe early forties. Weighs 134 grams, which isn't too heavy for a woolfelt hat. The felt is quite thin as well. The moth certainly had a go at it, but it doesn't show all that much on the heather felt. It has lost its crown patch along the way. Nice woolfelt survivor.

RynH_01.jpg

RynH_02.jpg

RynH_03.jpg

RynH_04.jpg

RynH_06.jpg

RynH_07.jpg

RynH_08.jpg

RynH_09.jpg

RynH_10.jpg

RynH_11.jpg
Cross posting here at the request of a friend, a Thibet by Jean Bourrel Manufacture De Chapeaux:
View attachment 559008 View attachment 559009 View attachment 559010 View attachment 559011 View attachment 559012 View attachment 559013 View attachment 559014 View attachment 559015

Crown6" (open)
Brim2-1/2" with 5/8" binding underside
Ribbon2"
Weight140g

A real gem!
- shape and finish
- it's my size
What more can I ask for?

I appreciate the kind sentiments, Daniele, but as this arrived only earlier this summer I will be holding onto it for the time being. As a beneficiary of a past exchange with you I know a trade would yield a wonderful hat in return. Should circumstances change you will be the first in line for this Thibet. :)
Thank you gentlemen for posting these beauties here.

"Thibets" are amazing, who could resist?
20211116_180139.jpg
20211116_130414.jpg
20211116_150517.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

RynH_01.jpg

RynH_02.jpg

RynH_03.jpg

RynH_04.jpg

RynH_06.jpg

RynH_07.jpg

RynH_08.jpg

RynH_09.jpg

RynH_10.jpg

RynH_11.jpg
This one definitely deserves its place in this thread, Stefan. I'm glad it ended up in my little collection.

PanosChris

Practically Family
This one definitely deserves its place in this thread, Stefan. I'm glad it ended up in my little collection.
Glad you got that one, Steve! It's in good hands to say the least ;) Old French hats are awesome.

Just to put it in context, Espéraza in France was one of the three biggest wool producers in Europe back in the day. Stefan has posted some very interesting materials in the French thread coupled with that Ryn'h:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Glad you got that one, Steve! It's in good hands to say the least ;) Old French hats are awesome.

Just to put it in context, Espéraza in France was one of the three biggest wool producers in Europe back in the day. Stefan has posted some very interesting materials in the French thread coupled with that Ryn'h:

[/URL]
Thanks, Panos. French hats are indeed awesome.

I'm aware of Stefan's research.

PanosChris

Practically Family
Fun fact: Seems like Espéraza ranks highly on the list of both vintage hat hunters and... Dino hunters!

Copied from Wikipedia:

"In the early 20th century, Espéraza was known for hat making. The town has a Hat Making Museum. Around 1815, the village experienced a considerable economic growth thanks to Bugarach hatters who settled there. First in 1830 and then in 1878 Espéraza enjoyed a prosperous period due to headwear, encouraged by the arrival of the railway. By 1929, there were 3000 Espéraza workers and 14 factories which allowed the village to become the second largest manufacturer of felt hats in the world (after Monza, Italy). But fashion had a terrible impact on the garment industry: the hat was worn less and less in the mid-20th century and Espéraza plunged into an economic depression. Now all that remains of the 14 Espéraza hat factories is a museum after the last factory burned down in 2002, although some have been converted to housing.

Since the late 20th century, Espéraza has become known for dinosaur fossil bones and eggs discovered in the area. These discoveries began at the end of the 19th century and excavations continue today and new species of dinosaurs continue to be found. Dinosauria, the local museum, exhibits these fossils along with life size reconstructions of dinosaurs."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112