Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The KitchenAid: Modern, Vintage or Timeless?

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
I was discussing in another thread my use of a KitchenAid. Still a quality product today but nothing like it used to be. The non pro "artisan" series mixers use nylon gearing and low wattage motors. I decided to go modern rather then hunt eBay for a quality vintage model like the 4C shown below. That's a restoration job BTW.

black-4c.jpg

So, i was curious if any of the FL have a KitchenAid and is it vintage or modern? I'm sure i'll fight the rest of my family for my grandmothers KitchenAid when the time comes, but i'm happy that i have my own i could pass on to my kids some day.

B00004SGG3.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I have one, and love it. It's modern, but I wouldn't want any other stand mixer. We put it to use every Saturday making pizza/calzone dough and grating cheese, and on Sundays making Belgian waffle batter.

Brad

Grace

Vendor
I've been lusting after a modern pink Kitchenaid for a while now, but I just don't have the counter space to display it! I also can't justify spending that when I'm not much of a cook.
So instead I've gone a quest to buy every other pink thing the KA makes-can opener, measuring cups, mixing bowls, etc.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Brad Bowers said:
I have one, and love it. It's modern, but I wouldn't want any other stand mixer. We put it to use every Saturday making pizza/calzone dough and grating cheese, and on Sundays making Belgian waffle batter.

Brad

Wow, I wanna eat at YOUR table :D

LD

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Well, mine is a modern one in Empire Red. I bought it about a year and a half ago. It's used mainly for mixing cookie batter, but most recently I kneaded my first loaf of bread.

I grew up using mom's. Her's is white and has the old glass bowl that she got for her wedding shower gift.... That was quite a few moons ago.

When it was time for me to buy a mixer, there wasn't another brand I'd choose. I wanted the Professional just due to durability, but opted for the Artisan because I liked the tilt head better than the lifting bowl. I just wish it still came with a glass bowl.

Maybe I'll get mom's someday, but since I have my own, I'm probably out of the running.

Mike

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yep I've got the "modern" although it's a good 15 years old. I'd still have Mom & Dad's original from the 50's/60's, except Mom decided to jazz up the kitchen, saw the mixer in cobalt blue, got it and gave the old one to a relative...and as of a few weeks ago, I know it was still going strong. Just in the last couple of weeks, I've used it to make meat loaf; pumpkin cake & muffins; and for Thanksgiving, ground up cranberries, oranges & walnuts for cranberry relish plus made scones & honey butter, and a big batch of mashed potatoes; and I'll be using it in the next couple of weeks to make pie crust galore, cookies, and cocoanut candy for holiday gifts. A huge time & effort saver, and relatively unchanged for decades.

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
Grace said:
I've been lusting after a modern pink Kitchenaid for a while now, but I just don't have the counter space to display it! I also can't justify spending that when I'm not much of a cook.
So instead I've gone a quest to buy every other pink thing the KA makes-can opener, measuring cups, mixing bowls, etc.

I kind of liked the "pistachio"color KitchenAid. but two things were keeping me from it. 1) It only comes in a tilt head variety and 2) I have a hard enough time defending my sexuality owning a KitchenAid yet alone in a pastel Green color ;)

B0001ZYYPQ.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

But i can understand the attraction to the Cook for the Cure pink model.

cureartisian-g.jpg

Grace

Vendor
Vermifuge said:
I kind of liked the "pistachio"color KitchenAid. but two things were keeping me from it. 1) It only comes in a tilt head variety and 2) I have a hard enough time defending my sexuality owning a KitchenAid yet alone in a pastel Green color ;)

lol! Pistachio is a nice color! Have you seen the poster they have up in store displays? A whole rainbow of different colors and a matte finish or a shiny finish!
I also have a pink toaster, but it's not kitchenaid. But it is the right shade of pink!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
We have a modern one as well. IMO it's much better than the older, light-duty mixers my mom used when I was growing up. Ours is 10+ years old and has gotten a good workout from my wife and a daughter who loves to bake. I think those mixers are about as good as it gets, and will last just about forever.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I think at this point mine probably qualifies as vintage. My mother gave me hers when she upgraded to the professional series for her work. (she teaches cake decoration and is an artisan baker, she makes some seriously awsome cakes) It's not vintage 50's / 60's but I think it is late 70's possibly early 80's. The thing is amazing, it still works perfectly. I had to call kitchenaid for a replacement paddle because my husband ruined mine (it got stuck on the connector and his solution was a hammer and needless to say the paddle was ruined) They actually replaced it for free, their customer service is really really good.
I love it. I hope it never dies on me.

floatinjoe

Familiar Face
Well, I mentioned this thread to my mom today and she surprised me with the fact that not only does she have spare glass bowls on a shelf somewhere, but that my grandmother still has hers that is probably dated 1952.

Turns out that a number of years ago, mom broke her glass bowl and when she bought a replacement, she went and bought several.

Looking forward to seeing grandma's while I'm home for the holidays.

Mike

BegintheBeguine

I use a Dormeyer FoodFixer my folks got as a wedding gift in the 50s and my mom didn't take when she left. My dad wanted to throw it away last year! His friend told him it was worth money online and I said I still used it. Geez. KitchenAid makes the food processor I wanted for a wedding gift but I'll have to save up for that.

Daisy Buchanan

I have a modern Professional series 6 quart mixer, and I just love it. It has every attachment imaginable, and it is the perfect mixer for making everything from fresh bread/pastry dough to homemade pasta.
I couldn't be happier with it. It is quite versatile. Mine is cherry red, and it does have a vintage look to it.
If you do end up getting one, I'd get the higher end line, it's well worth it. The thing I like the best about it is the ability of the bowl to go up and down. This makes it a lot easier to take on and off the stand. Also, the splash guard comes in quite handy, especially when slowly adding flour to dough mixtures.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have the "use" of a modern Kitchen-aid stand mixer-white. It was my husbands long before i met him, and as i like to remind him... I married him for the mixer. We use it all the time, pizza dough, bread, cakes, cookies..etc. He also has the pasta attachment so we can make fresh pasta,Now he wants to get the sausage stuffer:rolleyes:

I cannot live without access to the kitchen-aid, and i can't afford to buy my own, so i guess i will have to keep the man around , toolol

Daisy Buchanan

olive bleu said:
I have the "use" of a modern Kitchen-aid stand mixer-white. It was my husbands long before i met him, and as i like to remind him... I married him for the mixer. We use it all the time, pizza dough, bread, cakes, cookies..etc. He also has the pasta attachment so we can make fresh pasta,Now he wants to get the sausage stuffer:rolleyes:

I cannot live without access to the kitchen-aid, and i can't afford to buy my own, so i guess i will have to keep the man around , toolol
I actually have the "sausage stuffer". I've only used it once, but it did work great. It also came with a list of different recipes for spicing sausage, turkey, chicken, veal, all different kinds.
I found my Kitchen Aid at a restaurant supply company that is owned by a family friend. However, I have found a lot of the attachments for it on line at supply companies for a lot less money than places like Sur La Table and Williams Sonoma. I'm not sure which one you have. Since I bought mine at a restaurant supply company, it is a bigger version.. I'm not sure if the company I bought the attachments from offer them for the five quart and smaller, but it's worth a look. I wish I could remember the name of the place that I ordered the attachments from. I just googled "Kitchen Aid Attachment" and a ton of sites came up. This might help you find what you are looking for, at a much better price.

olive bleu

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
I actually have the "sausage stuffer". I've only used it once, but it did work great. It also came with a list of different recipes for spicing sausage, turkey, chicken, veal, all different kinds.
I found my Kitchen Aid at a restaurant supply company that is owned by a family friend. However, I have found a lot of the attachments for it on line at supply companies for a lot less money than places like Sur La Table and Williams Sonoma. I'm not sure which one you have. Since I bought mine at a restaurant supply company, it is a bigger version.. I'm not sure if the company I bought the attachments from offer them for the five quart and smaller, but it's worth a look. I wish I could remember the name of the place that I ordered the attachments from. I just googled "Kitchen Aid Attachment" and a ton of sites came up. This might help you find what you are looking for, at a much better price.

it sounds like we have the same one that you do.It is an industrial version, and we did get it a restaurant supply store. we actually get alot of our kitchen supplies there.Maybe, I will have to look into the Sausage stuffer for a Christmas present:) ...you know you've passed the honeymoon stage when...lol

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
To any one who wants to get a new KitchenAid. Be sure and hold out for the best deal. If you wait you are sure to get $100-250 off and they may even throw in a few of the attachments. I got my Pro 5 for under $300 with an offer to get a free pasta roller.

For the record I have the Ice Cream maker and it works great. Not so great on really hot days (when you really want to use it) so if it’s hotter then 105o in your house be sure and get the ice bath.

But it made some great ice cream in under an hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR