Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Legendary DURABLE (Wild One) Jacket

jeo

One Too Many
IMO yes, at least for that particular jacket with the black FQHH label and no Durable label.

Most of the ones we see do have Durable label. Maybe those were made by Durable and because of the big US market and high demand they couldn’t keep up so they needed to contract out production and those are the ones we see that didn’t have Durable labels.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Another label for the collection.

1691534304930.png

dmoser1978

One of the Regulars
Speaking of Brando jackets, check out what Tom Hardy is wearing in the upcoming movie "The Bikeriders"

Attachments

• Tom Hardy Wild One.jpg
    Tom Hardy Wild One.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 50

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
another Durable label, on a carcoat/barnstormer type jacket. T Eaton Co? Is the Eatons department store in Canada? If so, then is this the Canadian connection? Leather looks to be quite heavy.

100003160-3.jpg

100003160-1.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Eatons is a Canadian department store. The last Eaton store in Vancouver closed its doors to make space for Nordstrom and now Nordstrom has closed too...

The jacket label is the same font design as this old logo from the old building (in Toronto):
1697061537825.jpeg

I remember Eatons as this logo
1697061572252.png

But the Durable coat for Eatons was probably when Eatons still looked like this:
1697061856086.jpeg

If that's the case it would make the Canadian Durable pre-war in terms of timeline goes, or 1930s. At least two decades before the Wild One film, and on the other side of the continent.

"...Just a city boy, born and raised in South Detroit, he took the mid night train going anywhere..."

So logically speaking, the old Durable could most likely been located in the Great lake area, instead of all the way out west, on either the US or Canadian side, selling jackets to the retailers on both sides of the border. This is what I assume from seeing it with an Eaton's label.

Nacho

Practically Family
Eatons is a Canadian department store. The last Eaton store in Vancouver closed its doors to make space for Nordstrom and now Nordstrom has closed too...

The jacket label is the same font design as this old logo from the old building (in Toronto):
View attachment 551602

I remember Eatons as this logo
View attachment 551603

But the Durable coat for Eatons was probably when Eatons still looked like this:
View attachment 551607

If that's the case it would make the Canadian Durable pre-war in terms of timeline goes, or 1930s. At least two decades before the Wild One film, and on the other side of the continent.

"...Just a city boy, born and raised in South Detroit, he took the mid night train going anywhere..."

So logically speaking, the old Durable could most likely been located in the Great lake area, instead of all the way out west, on either the US or Canadian side, selling jackets to the retailers on both sides of the border. This is what I assume from seeing it with an Eaton's label.

Wow, the building looks similar to the Bay on West Georgia, yeah?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't it SEARS before Nordstrom? I remember vaguely unless I'm thinking of Capilano Mall.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Wow, the building looks similar to the Bay on West Georgia, yeah?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't it SEARS before Nordstrom? I remember vaguely unless I'm thinking of Capilano Mall.
Yup you are right, Sears was there before Nordstrom. Eatons was there in the last century, meaning 80s and 90s. I think they turned into Sears right after the millennium.

Granville street looks a bit different now.

Image3.jpg
Image4.jpg
Image2.jpg

Now I feel old...

Nacho

Practically Family

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yeah lots of things from the 90s are back. It feels nice and somewhat familiar. I am gonna get one of those Club Monaco sweatshirts and go as my younger self this holloween...
Zeller is back though. I remember them 10 years ago. Wonder how long they gonna stay this time around.

I was thinking last night, why don't we see any Hudson Bay leather jackets, vintage ones. If there are Eatons/Durable jackets it would make sense that there are also some Bay/Durable/other brands jackets right?

Nacho

Practically Family
Yeah lots of things from the 90s are back. It feels nice and somewhat familiar. I am gonna get one of those Club Monaco sweatshirts and go as my younger self this holloween...

I was thinking last night, why don't we see any Hudson Bay leather jackets, vintage ones. If there are Eatons/Durable jackets it would make sense that there are also some Bay/Durable/other brands jackets right?

I actually talked to an old flat track racer from Alberta a while back and he was about to sell me his Brimaco D-pocket, but he backed out last minute because it's too sentimental for him. He told me the Brimaco was quite popular among the Canadian bikers. And they used to get it at Simpson-Sears. Simpson later on became part of the Bay. So my thinking is that it's possible that we might find a Bay/Durable as well as Simpson/Durable leather jacket. But the chances are really slim since our market was too small.

Besides, I think the Canadian leather scene isn't as exciting as the American's so there weren't many makers to begin with. Like c'mon, the Brimaco MC was a knockoff of the Harley Cycle Champ, right? What designs that came out of Canada during that time? Most of my jackets are American. And the made-in-Canda jackets I came across was often an inspiration from American jackets imo.

Edwards & Edwards from Cobourg, ON.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Sprung and Clindinin Ltd. from Calgary, AB.

il_1140xN.4312326568_quc6.jpg

il_1140xN.4312189698_rojc.jpg
il_1140xN.4359581559_oz7v.jpg
IMG_0412.jpg

They look just like a typical American half-belt you've seen around here, don't they?

Last edited:

semolina_pilchard

One of the Regulars
I actually talked to an old flat track racer from Alberta a while back and he was about to sell me his Brimaco D-pocket, but he backed out last minute because it's too sentimental for him. He told me the Brimaco was quite popular among the Canadian bikers. And they used to get it at Simpson-Sears. Simpson later on became part of the Bay. So my thinking is that it's possible that we might find a Bay/Durable as well as Simpson/Durable leather jacket. But the chances are really slim since our market was too small.

Besides, I think the Canadian leather scene isn't as exciting as the American's so there weren't many makers to begin with. Like c'mon, the Brimaco MC was a knockoff of the Harley Cycle Champ, right? What designs that came out of Canada during that time? Most of my jackets are American. And the made-in-Canda jackets I came across was often an inspiration from American jackets imo.

Edwards & Edwards from Cobourg, ON.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Sprung and Clindinin Ltd. from Calgary, AB.

il_1140xN.4312326568_quc6.jpg

il_1140xN.4312189698_rojc.jpg
il_1140xN.4359581559_oz7v.jpg
IMG_0412.jpg

They look just like a typical American half-belt you've seen around here, don't they?

Both of these jackets are stunning! o_Oo_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner