Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The loss of occasion

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
pretty faythe said:
Even the cashier in the far end is checking him out and gettin' jealous. Ok so who is it, looks like he grew up to be somebody, something in the face is striking me as familiar.

He does look familiar. He's short, maybe 5'-0". A singer or musician, maybe?

cgab1

One of the Regulars
I saw a documentary today about the Brooklyn Dodgers back in the 40's. Just about everyone in the stadium was dressed to the nines, vintage galore. Today it's bluejeans and pullovers, suitable for any occasion.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
A friend said to me once: "Poor people have poor ways."

Eh, I see plenty of middle-class people dressed like trash. And look at people like Paris Hilton who don't lack funds.

I'm glad people are free to wear what they please. I would not want to live in a time where I was expected to wear white gloves & a hat every day in order to be considered a lady. I think that is much more shallow than people going to funerals in jeans. I'm a lady and I get respect, and attention from men, no matter what I have on. I would be ashamed of myself if I was ignored because I wasn't dressed up.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Miss Brill said:
Eh, I see plenty of middle-class people dressed like trash. And look at people like Paris Hilton who don't lack funds.

I'm glad people are free to wear what they please. I would not want to live in a time where I was expected to wear white gloves & a hat every day in order to be considered a lady. I think that is much more shallow than people going to funerals in jeans. I'm a lady and I get respect, and attention from men, no matter what I have on. I would be ashamed of myself if I was ignored because I wasn't dressed up.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

If I could make the little smiley men do a standing ovation...that would be what they are doing.

There is -so- much more important then clothing in the world...

Ben

One of the Regulars
Occasions Happen Occasionally

For a couple of years, I've gone out to Seattle on Thanksgiving to visit a friend of mine who was in grad school at the University of Washington. We've always tried to pay attention to the sense of occasion and dress and behave appropriately, though not necessarily vintage.

The first year I was out there, I was putting on a tie before dinner, and one of the other guys at dinner noticed. When we all sat down, this guy, a grad student mind you, said to the host "You should have told me and I would have worn a tie."

The next year, at the same place and time, everyone was in ties, or dresses.

But to get to the sense of occasion part, this group of grad students all went around the table, before we started to eat, and said something we were thankful for. It wasn't saying grace, it was a recognition that this is Thanksgiving and we should make a note of that fact.

So, occasions still happen. But you need to work at it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Brill said:
I would not want to live in a time where I was expected to wear white gloves & a hat every day in order to be considered a lady. I think that is much more shallow than people going to funerals in jeans. I'm a lady and I get respect, and attention from men, no matter what I have on. I would be ashamed of myself if I was ignored because I wasn't dressed up.

I dont find anything more shallow than wearing jeans to a funeral. Well, not shallow, just inconsiderate. That is an occasion where you are not the center of attention, the greeeving family and the departed are. But people are going to be saying "Why is he wearing jeans?" to themselves because that person was not considerate enought to just slap on some dress slacks and fade into the back.

How you look is one of the first things people see, we somehow dont want to seem to admit that. Like the original message from this thread, you dress for the occasion, weather you be uncomfortable or no, why, because its conciderate, respectable, and just plain something you should do.

LD

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
I dont find anything more shallow than wearing jeans to a funeral. Well, not shallow, just inconsiderate. That is an occasion where you are not the center of attention, the greeeving family and the departed are. But people are going to be saying "Why is he wearing jeans?" to themselves because that person was not considerate enought to just slap on some dress slacks and fade into the back.

How you look is one of the first things people see, we somehow dont want to seem to admit that. Like the original message from this thread, you dress for the occasion, weather you be uncomfortable or no, why, because its conciderate, respectable, and just plain something you should do.

LD

and what if the deceased is wearing Jeans a Tshirt to his/her final resting place and wanted friends to be comfortable?

I think everyone is -assuming- that these mytical jeans clad funeral goers are dressed like that amid the finely dressed other mourners. That is probably not always the case.

It's only disrespectful to us and our perception of things, and perhaps not -bad and wrong- to the vast majority of people.

Obviously that can just be argued that -they- are wrong and -we- are right.....or -we- are dinosaurs of another era...and they are 'with the times'

Obviously the entire universe but -me- is going to hell in a handbasket...lol

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with Lady Day

Someone wore skin-tight jeans to my 82-year-old father's memorial service last September. :( That isn't comfortable. I was and still am offended. It hurt my feelings and many if not all others' attending. It was inconsiderate. His body is donated to the University of Rochester so he's probably still dressed in what I found him dead in, but I knew him well and he would want people to be dressed for the occasion, which as we have read here can be comfortable, and that doesn't include jeans.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My sister wore an aqua track suit to our sister's funeral. She was more maudlin than anyone there--over someone she never got along with. I just took it as her being a flake.

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
A few years ago I read a theory by a noted psychologist on why the catholic church was losing its flock. His theory was that we need ceremony, or occasion in our lives and the church service was becoming too casual. It changed from latin to english, and now has musical groups up on the altar playing to the congregation and you and your neighbors are allowed up there too. Nice, but now its now something that you can get anywhere; no longer special. The church service lost it's sense of ceremony, or occasion, and as a result loses some its following rather than increasing.

Jovan

Suspended
Me and a few others were the only ones dressed in a suit and tie to Danielle's funeral. Many others in a shirt, tie, and trousers, but many also in jeans and a polo shirt. :( Given her family's attire, I think at least a tie was in order. Most all of the women were appropriately dressed, conversely.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Tommy Fedora said:
A few years ago I read a theory by a noted psychologist on why the catholic church was losing its flock. His theory was that we need ceremony, or occasion in our lives and the church service was becoming too casual. It changed from latin to english, and now has musical groups up on the altar playing to the congregation and you and your neighbors are allowed up there too. Nice, but now its now something that you can get anywhere; no longer special. The church service lost it's sense of ceremony, or occasion, and as a result loses some its following rather than increasing.

This is an interesting theory. I think it has a good foundation.

dnjan

One Too Many
Tommy Fedora said:
This probably (at least partially) explains why the church will be packed on Christmas and Easter with people only seen twice a year, and all dressed up.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Tommy Fedora said:

i don't know about this... people are flocking to non-denominational evangelical churches in droves - many of which are completely casual and have little or no restrictions as to who can give a message or be in a praise band.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Johnnysan said:
...and sadly, this axiom is too often used to excuse poor behavior. [huh]

Actually I was not using it that way. I was saying that people have been scandalised by others behavior since the dawn of time.....and that it will continue. There will always be something that causes others to declare its all going to hell......

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Agreed. There are times however, that it seems there has been an almost complete abandonment of societal norms. Today, it is the person who points out unacceptable behavior who is often chastised, as opposed to the person who is engaged in the unacceptable behavior.

I believe that while tolerance is admirable and leads to greater stability in a community, apathy ultimately erodes it from within.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Lady Day said:

So people shouldn't go if they can't afford dressy clothes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara