Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The loss of occasion

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Been watching this thread.... The comments made are indicitave of a bigger issue in modern society:

We live in a more or less honorless society.

There's a bigger problem that not dressing for formal occasions, failing to remove a hat in a Church/restaurant/etc, and leaving Church or other worship services before the close of the service are symptoms of: We live in a society that does not understand honor.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
plain old dave said:
Been watching this thread.... The comments made are indicitave of a bigger issue in modern society:

We live in a more or less honorless society.

There's a bigger problem that not dressing for formal occasions, failing to remove a hat in a Church/restaurant/etc, and leaving Church or other worship services before the close of the service are symptoms of: We live in a society that does not understand honor.

I agree with the above and will add that we do not enforce standards. When this is done the cry is that we are stifling individual creativity, or being Nazi-like, or being inflexible, yadda-yadda, etc.

M8

dnjan

One Too Many
still a sense of occaision ...

There are a few groups that still have a sense of occaision.

I have an invitation for a "Change of Command and Retirement Ceremony" tomorrow. The invitation includes the information:
Military Guests: Service Dress Blues
Civilian Guests: Dress Casual

People have varying opinions of our military, but the military has retained the sense of occaision.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, if one seeks a modicum of honor look to the military.
th_usmcflagwaving1.gif

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
What Entertainment?

Next week I'm having a birthday party for a friend. It's a potluck, and I'm inviting two other people over. I'm going to get a roast chicken and tiramisu, and two of the guests will be bringing potatoes (or something starchy) and salad. After the party, we'll all go out dancing.

Any suggestions for entertainment between dinner and dancing? If the party goes well, we might not need entertainment. But if things don't go well, I'll need something fun.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I thought about board games, but I don't have many. And I don't know how to play parcheesi.

I'll ask one of my guests if they have some games.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
If they are all dancers...maybe a quick trivia quiz ...with dance related questions...from the easy to the super hard?

Would be fun to see who really knew history of dance.

I used to do "Garden Jeopardy" at rose shows. Maybe I could do "Dance Jeopardy." :)

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Here in the U.K there is a really good Vintage scene...i have to travel far and wide but i get dressed up all the time. I attend lots of burlesque, caberet nights where performers and punters dress up to the nines. A friend of mine is having a birthday party next week and she has given it a 40's theme and has gone as far to hire a swing dancing teacher to get us all in the groove. There are lots of clubs in London that do Vintage themed nights...and of course i have to get a new frock for every occasion :p

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:

Not sure what the above posts have to do with the original topic as stated in the first post:

Matt Deckard said:
I think now is a time where we have lost the sense of occasion. Christmas and Holloween maybe not so muh, though the other times when we need to dress up and be there for an event tend to be underdone.

I do like how the vintage scene tries to recapture occasion though in a retro artificial way at times. Sometimes the feeling is there and sometimes it's a costume affair with some in t-shirts and some in black tie and neither feeling the energy of the occasion.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
:eek:fftopic:

Not sure what the above posts have to do with the original topic as stated in the first post:

The answer is...nothing....but menfolk like to take things and argue them even if its got no place for the occasion...

Speaking of...I am having my mother over for Mom's day....and am trying to come up with something nice for centerpieces and so forth....feeling very Martha Stewart (alas much poorer).....and want it to be really nice...

ideas?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
You could take a shallow container and float some blossoms in water. It's attractive, inexpensive, and lets you see across the table.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Geez don't get your panties in a bunch and create paranoid delusions. What dnjan was referring to and I was agreeing with is the fact that full dress military occassions are timeless in their traditional visual taste.

A parade or funeral illustrates how utterly perfect dress uniforms and precision orchestrated regimen looks so crisp and neat. As dnjan mentioned they have a sense of occassion which is what this thread was defining and average citizens haven't a clue about. There are uniforms for several occassions. You have to see a ballroom full of veterans in their formal uniforms and their ladies in gowns to appreciate the difference from the run of the mill civilian slob fests at the local disco, a funeral, wedding or otherwise formal event that dictates acceptable attire but ends up looking like a thrift store exploded on the attending gomers.:eusa_doh:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:
Geez don't get your panties in a bunch and create paranoid delusions. What dnjan was referring to and I was agreeing with is the fact that full dress military occassions are timeless in their traditional visual taste.

A parade or funeral illustrates how utterly perfect dress uniforms and precision orchestrated regimen looks so crisp and neat. As dnjan mentioned they have a sense of occassion which is what this thread was defining and average citizens haven't a clue about. There are uniforms for several occassions. You have to see a ballroom full of veterans in their formal uniforms and their ladies in gowns to appreciate the difference from the run of the mill civilian slob fests at the local disco, a funeral, wedding or otherwise formal event that dictates acceptable attire but ends up looking like a thrift store exploded on the attending gomers.:eusa_doh:

Indeed...but I would say the two are generally not comparable events...seeing as with the military function there is little -choice- about how to dress for it on the uniformed side.

I would hazard a guess and perhaps I am -totally- and utterly wrong....but those same well dressed military gents, if asked to go to a different occaision without the same expectation of uniforms....might we dress just like everyone else.....as you so charmingly put it ....a thrift store exploding.

D...who would really like to see this veer from the 'our group does it right' end of the conversation....but alas...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Twitch said:

The posts I was referring to seem to have disappeared. I assure you my underpants still conform to AFR 34-10...or whatever it is now. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters