Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

billysmom

One Too Many
Aureliano said:
Paid $18 bucks for it at housing works. It has a few superficial moth nibbles. Nothing that would bother me!
Here are some pics.

DSC04257.jpg

The bow is big and what I love about it is that there is no fold on the left side of it

DSC04258.jpg

The bow is fantastic! It looks really good on you, too. Congratulations on a wonderful find.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

buler

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Paid $18 bucks for it at housing works. It has a few superficial moth nibbles. Nothing that would bother me!
Here are some pics.

The bow is big and what I love about it is that there is no fold on the left side of it

The size tag isn't cloth as in my other Mallory, any idea of its age?

Aureliano, it has the "established 1817" and the paper size tag, so I'd say 50's. Nice looking hat!

B

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Aureliano, it has the "established 1817" and the paper size tag, so I'd say 50's. Nice looking hat!

B
Thanks Buler, the ones you posted are great too. My other Mallory has the 1817 and a cloth embroidered tag... I think you might have said it was a 50's too... what would indicate an older one?

buler

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
Thanks Buler, the ones you posted are great too. My other Mallory has the 1817 and a cloth embroidered tag... I think you might have said it was a 50's too... what would indicate an older one?

The cloth size tag would precede the paper. If your liner says "Established 1823" then the Mallory is pre-Stetson (Stetson purchased Mallory in Aug. 1946).
Determining age pre-1946 would be a combination of original price of hat if known, style elements, sweatband, establishing when the retailer was in business, etc.
I'm still working on the "quality" designations they used (premier, aristocrat, gold medal, etc...) hoping this will help date them.

B

Al Niente

Familiar Face
Here is the Mallory Ten I found on Ebay. Fur is in perfect condition and the liner survived the cleaning process. The sweatband looked good when it arrived but didn't survive getting cleaned. It was replaced by Joe and Henry the Hatter who also blocked it.

Alniente
[/URL]

This hat looks a lot like a Stetson Wippet. When did Stetson first produce the Wippet? Later they bought out Mallory. Was the Wippet a design they inherited from Mallory or was this a case of competing designs?

billysmom

One Too Many
It came with a sweater!

This little late 50's early 60's Mallory came wearing its own sweater! A knitted pug! :eek:

Mallory-in-a-sweater.jpg

DSCF1488.jpg

DSCF1489.jpg

DSCF1490.jpg

Where's that website for replacement pugs???

Sue

buler

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
This little late 50's early 60's Mallory came wearing its own sweater! A knitted pug! :eek:

[/CENTER]

Where's that website for replacement pugs???

Sue

Interesting, Sue. Never seen that logo/sticker before. You sure thats not a carpet sample pug?

B

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Mallory Something or Other

This arrived today. I've no idea what the model is. The sweat gives no indication and there are no labels anywhere that help.

Proportions:

Brim: 2 1/4 inches
Crown: 5 1/4" uncreased
Ribbon: 1 1/2"
Sweat: Just shy of 2"
Colour: Close to what Akubra calls 'Regency Fawn'
Size 7 1/4. The size tag is square cardboard.

I'm guessing it's late 40's/ early 50's? There's no retailer's stamp on the sweat, which is unusual for the time.
(The spots on the pics are some raindrops).

But I like it!

SDC10290.jpg
SDC10293.jpg
SDC10291.jpg
SDC10292.jpg
SDC10294.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Ephraim Tutt said:
This arrived today. I've no idea what the model is. The sweat gives no indication and there are no labels anywhere that help.

Proportions:

Brim: 2 1/4 inches
Crown: 5 1/4" uncreased
Ribbon: 1 1/2"
Sweat: Just shy of 2"
Colour: Close to what Akubra calls 'Regency Fawn'
Size 7 1/4. The size tag is square cardboard.

I'm guessing it's late 40's/ early 50's? There's no retailer's stamp on the sweat, which is unusual for the time.
(The spots on the pics are some raindrops).

But I like it!

SDC10290.jpg

Very nice, whatever they called the model!

Sue

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran