Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The man with Bogart's face!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Rick Blaine said:
:eek:fftopic: ... well not quite

Yes, not quite. If you calculate a generation with 30 years, you get one "black" ancestor against 2047 "white" ones. If you calculate a generation at 20 years, 1 vs. 8191.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
It is a fun film for "people like us". It references not only Bogart films but Laura as well.
I believe the actor also played Bogie in a couple of Gordon's Gin print ads.
I seem to recall an interview with by Jim Steranko mentioned that Sacchi doesn't normally sound like Bogart when he talks.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Matt and I watched it last night. The movie has some very cheesy elements....much like TV movies of the era.

Regardless, the guy is so much like Bogart it is amazing. He does the face twitch too much and there are times he just a little too over the top....but at moments he IS Bogie. I found myself forgetting he wasn't the real deal. It is a shame a top director didn't make a quality period gum shoe flick with him.
I would have rather had him play Marlowe than Mitchem in....I forget which movie they made about that same time.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
MK said:
I would have rather had him play Marlowe than Mitchem in....I forget which movie they made about that same time.

"Farewell, my lovely." And I beg to differ: Bogart as Marlowe certainly made a good movie, but Mitchum wasn't only good, he's also closer to the image I (personally) get from the books.

I'd have loved to see Mitchum in other Marlowe movies in the GE.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I like Humphrey Bogart because he is a singular talent. He was an actor who became a movie star by exploring his dark side, and he continued to do so when playing safe romatic leads would have been easier. Take a look at the malice he brings to The Maltese Falcon, the menace he brings to In a Lonely Place, the pop-eyed desperation in Treasure of the Sierra Madre and the schtrawberry-hoarding intensity in the Caine Mutiny. This guy was a one of a kind actor and star.

Robert Saachi's "talent" is bearing a passing resemblance to Bogart in a certain light and at a certain angle. And he can twitch and lisp, and twitch and twitch. His performance is on par with that of most Elvis impersonators: campy, empty imitation.

There were a lot of movies built around anachronism and nostalgia around this time, just as there was a general interest in period films and older film forms (gangster, detective, musical, screwball). The Black Bird, Movie Movie and Murder By Death are a few others that come to mind. The best of the type was Play it Again Sam, which understood something about nostalgia. It was sweet and melancholy and funny, but also interesting and in some ways profound. It managed to deal with how the present views the past, how we view our heroes on film, and it was very effective. The others, including The Man With Bogart's Face, were campy, time-wasting dross. If you want to see a guy who looks like Bogart, Root has posted the pictures, if you must hear hiom speak, then watch the movie, but wash your mind out with a double feature of the real deal right afterwards, okay. ;)

PS:

It is a shame a top director didn't make a quality period gum shoe flick with him.

I think that would have been horrible. A top director would have been wasted on this no talent look-alike. The Mitchum film is much, much better than you're giving it credit for.

Edited to say: I mean Farewll My Lovely. If you're thinking of The Big Sleep, the, yeah, that was stinker.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
"Farewell, my lovely." And I beg to differ: Bogart as Marlowe certainly made a good movie, but Mitchum wasn't only good, he's also closer to the image I (personally) get from the books.

Agree!

As Philip Marlowe, Bogart made a very good Sam Spade.

Wild Root

Gone Home
jake_fink said:
I like Humphrey Bogart because he is a singular talent. He was an actor who became a movie star by exploring his dark side, and he continued to do so when playing safe romatic leads would have been easier. Take a look at the malice he brings to The Maltese Falcon, the menace he brings to In a Lonely Place, the pop-eyed desperation in Treasure of the Sierra Madre and the schtrawberry-hoarding intensity in the Caine Mutiny. This guy was a one of a kind actor and star.

Robert Saachi's "talent" is bearing a passing resemblance to Bogart in a certain light and at a certain angle. And he can twitch and lisp, and twitch and twitch. His performance is on par with that of most Elvis impersonators: campy, empty imitation.

There were a lot of movies built around anachronism and nostalgia around this time, just as there was a general interest in period films and older film forms (gangster, detective, musical, screwball). The Black Bird, Movie Movie and Murder By Death are a few others that come to mind. The best of the type was Play it Again Sam, which understood something about nostalgia. It was sweet and melancholy and funny, but also interesting and in some ways profound. It managed to deal with how the present views the past, how we view our heroes on film, and it was very effective. The others, including The Man With Bogart's Face, were campy, time-wasting dross. If you want to see a guy who looks like Bogart, Root has posted the pictures, if you must hear hiom speak, then watch the movie, but wash your mind out with a double feature of the real deal right afterwards, okay. ;)

Well, it seems we have a critic on our hands. I didn’t rate this film #1 choice of the year, I just find it interesting how close to Bogart he looks… I think some people overly dissect things and have way too much expectations some times… I enjoy the real Bogart more of course, but, I just couldn’t believe how close he got it… I mean, we haven't seen any one who looks remotely close to other Hollywood icons... Sure would love to see some one who looks like William Powell or Myrna Loy! Yeah, it’s a low budget 80’s film but, it has it’s moments. I enjoyed it for what it was... all the other stuff is expected for what this film is.

Come on it wasn’t THAT bad.:rolleyes:

=WR=

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Shaul-Ike Cohen said:

I wish Mitchum had played Marlowe back in the day. He would have been the best. In my opinion he was too long in the tooth by the eighties. My favorite actor to play Philip was Dick Powell in Murder My Sweet.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
For those who liked "The Man With Bogart's Face" (or if you didn't but like Bogart) find a copy of the book the movie is based upon. Writer Andrew Fenady created a wonderful tale that touches on many Bogart movies. He also wrote a much less interesting sequal called "The Secret of Sam Marlowe."

Another fun piece of fiction with Bogart AS the detective is "We'll Always Have Murder" by Bill Crider. http://www.amazon.com/Well-Always-H...7736830?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175000151&sr=1-4

bogie.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo