Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Martini

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Bartender: What're you drinking?

Johnny Wayne: Gimme a martinus.

Bartender: You mean a martini.

Johnny Wayne: If I wanted two I'd ask for them.

Last edited:

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Way back in the dim mists of time, a bartender who frequently filled my orders for Gin and Tonic asked me if I had ever tried a "real" Martini. I was young and perhaps a bit stupid, but always willing to try something new. "The first thing," he said, "is to forget all the crap you hear about 'bowing in the direction of France' or whispering 'Vermouth' over the top of the shaker. A Martini is a cocktail, not a glass of cold gin." In those days, Tanqueray was the fashionable gin but Frank recommended Bombay and I have been hooked ever since. He shook it 4:1 with Martini and Rossi dry vermouth and served it with an olive. It was a revelation. I use Noilly Prat now, though I will still use M&R in a pinch. I tried other gins--including Bombay Sapphire when it was launched (this was a long time ago)--but I never found one that I liked better than the original Bombay. I've played around with the proportions as well but I always come back to 4:1.

I've seen a few comments on this thread to the effect that the Martini is dull or overrated or some such. I don't buy it. Prepared properly, a Martini is a wonderful thing. Of course, given my druthers, I often opt for vanilla ice cream, another delicious vice with an undeserved reputation for dullness. All that said, I don't drink Martinis often these days. When I want a cocktail, I usually go for a Sidecar. But occasionally, after I've shaken up a Sidecar for Mrs. Reno Kid, I will set up a Martini for myself (and enjoy it thoroughly). Cheers, Frank!
:cheers1:

PT Monteith

New in Town
I think a large part of why the modern martini has become increasingly dry is that most people, bartenders and consumers don't accept that vermouth oxidizes fairly quickly and starts to taste really bad. Vermouth like all aromatized wines will change dramatically if not used within a couple of weeks and kept refrigerated. The French variety suffers worse than the sweeter Italian wine. After a month or two French vermouth tastes bitter and full of oxidation. Real bad. Italian vermouth mostly just loses it's complexity and tastes like a cheaper shadow of it's former self.

Lots of bars keep bottles of vermouth on the shelf with the spirits so many peoples first, second, third experiences with a martini are likely to be rather gross. This has changed for the better where I live, but it's still easy to come by a martini with spoiled vermouth in a oversize glass.

The timelessness of the martini is due to it being a simple and well balanced platform for adjusting it's taste. ...wetter, dryer? A variation like the Gibson, Perfect Martini, Bronx, Vesper, etc. They are all based on the martini like how over a thousand classic drinks are variations of the Brandy Crusta and a thousand more are variations on the Manhattan.

I consider the Manhattan to be the martini's equal for the same reasons. It's just another spirit profile. I happen to like gin and whisky, so neither is better or worse to me. It's just a matter of what spirit I'm in the mood for.

Pardon my long-winded diatribe.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Way back in the dim mists of time, a bartender who frequently filled my orders for Gin and Tonic asked me if I had ever tried a "real" Martini. I was young and perhaps a bit stupid, but always willing to try something new. "The first thing," he said, "is to forget all the crap you hear about 'bowing in the direction of France' or whispering 'Vermouth' over the top of the shaker. A Martini is a cocktail, not a glass of cold gin." In those days, Tanqueray was the fashionable gin but Frank recommended Bombay and I have been hooked ever since. He shook it 4:1 with Martini and Rossi dry vermouth and served it with an olive. It was a revelation. I use Noilly Prat now, though I will still use M&R in a pinch. I tried other gins--including Bombay Sapphire when it was launched (this was a long time ago)--but I never found one that I liked better than the original Bombay. I've played around with the proportions as well but I always come back to 4:1.

I've seen a few comments on this thread to the effect that the Martini is dull or overrated or some such. I don't buy it. Prepared properly, a Martini is a wonderful thing. Of course, given my druthers, I often opt for vanilla ice cream, another delicious vice with an undeserved reputation for dullness. All that said, I don't drink Martinis often these days. When I want a cocktail, I usually go for a Sidecar. But occasionally, after I've shaken up a Sidecar for Mrs. Reno Kid, I will set up a Martini for myself (and enjoy it thoroughly). Cheers, Frank!
:cheers1:

Is that a Boston Sidecar? Many a Friday night sees Mrs. Hood with a Boston Sidecar and me with a Martini, generally 3 to 1, with an olive.
Great minds think alike...

Of course, given my druthers, I often opt for vanilla ice cream, another delicious vice with an undeserved reputation for dullness.

Just a side note, but I agree wholeheartedly about vanilla. Vanilla is one of the most exotic and intoxicating flavors ever discovered. That the term became synonymous with boring and ordinary is a shame.

On Martinis, I'm not a fan, but I agree with the point about it being a cocktail, not just a glass of gin. Like most older cocktails, everyone has a "recipe". I suppose that comes with the territory. But I'm not a fan of "updating" a classic or making it with a "twist".

hatguy1

One Too Many
I hadn't tried a martini since the early 1980s. Happened upon a happy hour special the other night on martinis (half price). So, I tried one. Can't say I am a fan. While I love olive oil (sorry, Popeye) in food, I can't say I'm a big fan of olives/olive oil in martini. Really made for a strange, oily taste in the finish.

While I might have suspected an aged bottle of room temp vermouth (as I've read in a few just prior posts), the waiter was discussing how they offer "dirty" martinis that have some olive oil added to the mix.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Is that a Boston Sidecar? Many a Friday night sees Mrs. Hood with a Boston Sidecar and me with a Martini, generally 3 to 1, with an olive.
Great minds think alike...

Just an (extra)ordinary Sidecar. My recipe: 3 parts freshly-squeezed lemon juice; 3 parts Triple Sec; 4 parts Brandy. Shake over ice and serve in previously chilled cocktail glasses with sugared rims. I use red sugar because it sets off the drink nicely. BTW, I have a hand squeezer for my lemons that makes more difference than you can imagine. I think it incorporates some of the oil from the skin of the lemon or something.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Just an (extra)ordinary Sidecar. My recipe: 3 parts freshly-squeezed lemon juice; 3 parts Triple Sec; 4 parts Brandy. Shake over ice and serve in previously chilled cocktail glasses with sugared rims. I use red sugar because it sets off the drink nicely. BTW, I have a hand squeezer for my lemons that makes more difference than you can imagine. I think it incorporates some of the oil from the skin of the lemon or something.

Sounds good~
The Boston Sidecar recipe we use, taken from a 1960's Mr. Boston Bartender's Guide, uses lime juice instead of lemon, and adds rum to the mix.

I use one of those hand juicers; it keeps out the seeds and maybe it does release some of the oil.

Occasionally I use the old-school trick of inserting the tines of a fork and squeeze the lime around it. Works well~

I suppose another variation of the Martini is the Aviation cocktail and you don't have to worry about vermouth (which I do not like no matter how fresh it is.:p)
The recipe of which is:
2 ounces Aviation gin1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur

1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
Dash of creme de violette

Flamed lemon peel for garnish
[h=3]Preparation:[/h]
  1. Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
  2. Shake well.
  3. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
  4. Garnish with a flamed lemon peel.

An yes you can find crème de violette easily now.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I even tried a vodka Martini as well, which was quite acceptable.
Would that have been shaken, not stirred?

In the 1980's, and probably before, Martini ran an advert on British television and cinema, with the decadent line: Anytime, any place anywhere.

[video=youtube;doFRO0uJe2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doFRO0uJe2o[/video]

About 20 years ago, my wife had a benign tumour removed from her uterus, she's fine, she kept all her lady bits, but the operation curtailed her ability to ovulate, and so brought on the start of the menopause. Whilst she was still in hospital, I brought her a get well card, in the shape of a Martini bottle, with the slogan: Anytime, any place, anywhere.

Do you really need that explaining?

Last edited:

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
Just had a Martini at the Ritz in London and it was fantastic. I'm pretty sure they use one measure of vermouth and that it is stirred and not shaken.

Tanqueray 10 Gin,
Dolin Dry Vermouth,
Orange Bitters and
Garnish of Lemon after a twist.

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
For a historical version I just happened to find this on the side of a 30s shaker.

Martini

1/8 Italian Vermouth. (1/4 oz)
1/4 French Vermouth. (1/2 oz)
5/8 Dry Gin. (1 1/4 oz)
1-Angostura

I added the oz information.
Dolin Dry Vermouth is a good French vermouth
Tanqueray 10 Gin would make a good vintage substitute. I'm not sure on the Italian Vermouth.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
In the Film " Boys' Night Out" from 1962 there's a scene where the actress mixes a small pitcher of martinis; she fills the pitcher with ice, pours in the gin, takes down a bottle of vermouth, and then takes a long glass swizzle stick, dips it once into the bottle, then stirs the pitcher. I rewound the scene and watched it again to make sure I hadn't missed a step or something.

In the Film " Boys' Night Out" from 1962 there's a scene where the actress mixes a small pitcher of martinis; she fills the pitcher with ice, pours in the gin, takes down a bottle of vermouth, and then takes a long glass swizzle stick, dips it once into the bottle, then stirs the pitcher. I rewound the scene and watched it again to make sure I hadn't missed a step or something.

Sounds like my kind of Martini. :p

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I can wonder what the real difference in taste of a Martini if it is shaken not stirred like James Bond always ordered?

I am NOT a Martini fan. I know some lady that just loves them. In fact, she thinks some ice cream makers like "Ben & Jerry" should make a Martini Ice Cream! Ewww!

I can wonder what the real difference in taste of a Martini if it is shaken not stirred like James Bond always ordered?

I am NOT a Martini fan. I know some lady that just loves them. In fact, she thinks some ice cream makers like "Ben & Jerry" should make a Martini Ice Cream! Ewww!

I think I can undertake the difference. A stirred martini is clear with no fizz. A shaken martini is cloudy and fizzy. If you like a gin fizz then you will like your martini shaken instead of stirred. I tend to like them stirred over ice and then strained into a martini glass.
Ben and Jerry are too big of hippies to make a classic martini ice cream. You need not worry. :p

filfoster

One Too Many
I like Martinis shaken or stirred. The '30's recipe above sounds too heavy on the Vermouth. I prefer a one to six or one to seven ratio, Vermouth to Gin, although in fairness, it's hardly science. I'm not using a beaker.
A local New York native, a restauranteur, told me something interesting. At the Algonquin, they used to add a drop of Pernod to the gin and vermouth. Anybody ever heard of such?

Last edited:
I like Martinis shaken or stirred. The '30's recipe above sounds too heavy on the Vermouth. I prefer a one to six or one to seven ratio, Vermouth to Gin, although in fairness, it's hardly science. I'm not using a beaker.
A local New York native, a restauranteur, told me something interesting. At the Algonquin, they used to add a drop of Pernod to the gin and vermouth. Anybody ever heard of such?

I have heard of it but I have never done it myself. It would certainly sweeten up a martini a bit----that would take care of the vermouth taste. :p In cocktail mixology, we always refer to a drink being made from parts of three groups to be balanced----sweet, strong and sour/bitter. When you look at a martini it is all strong and bitter. A little sweet might not hurt. :D

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
For a historical version I just happened to find this on the side of a 30s shaker.

Martini

1/8 Italian Vermouth. (1/4 oz)
1/4 French Vermouth. (1/2 oz)
5/8 Dry Gin. (1 1/4 oz)
1-Angostura

I added the oz information.
Dolin Dry Vermouth is a good French vermouth
Tanqueray 10 Gin would make a good vintage substitute. I'm not sure on the Italian Vermouth.

Almost a Ginhattan.

filfoster

One Too Many
I have heard of it but I have never done it myself. It would certainly sweeten up a martini a bit----that would take care of the vermouth taste. :p In cocktail mixology, we always refer to a drink being made from parts of three groups to be balanced----sweet, strong and sour/bitter. When you look at a martini it is all strong and bitter. A little sweet might not hurt. :D

After tracking down a bottle of Pernod, I suppose a lifetime supply, I did try it with some neighbors. It was OK but a little Pernod goes a long way. It's hard to improve on just Gin and Vermouth and an olive, twist or onion (yes, I know that's a Gibson).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21