Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The modern work ethic . . .

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
HistoricDetroit said:
Needless to say, I feel no remorse about the way I left things... smashing a headset, throwing a stack of trays across the room, and yelling a manager, all the while receiving applause and cheers from some of the regulars who were dining. I am happy to say that I have been 99% McDonald's-free since I quit! :hamburger

Now that's the way to leave a job! So many times have I wanted to do that but never had the nerve!
Retail jobs suck, especially at Christmas - I worked three at my last job - WOW a whole two days off, cheers, and ?Ǭ£3 each to go out for our Christmas 'do'. Luckily I got out and now I've got a blessed two weeks off (what sucks tho is I'm still ill!). I just feel sorry for my friend who has just one day off - Christmas day, nice!

Happy Christmas to all!

I'm going on something like 15 years without McDonald's now. I did have a coffee from there about 5 years ago, and I remember I couldn't even finish that. It was terrible! But I do have to confess that I have White Castle about once every two months - that's how long they repeat on me.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Bill O'Rights

New in Town
Back in the late seventies, I worked at McDonalds. Back in the old paper hat days. Sure, it sucked...a lot. But we took a measure of pride, even in that work. Our store was always extremely busy, being the only fast food joint within 30 miles, either direction, off of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Yet, we always had one employee dedicated to nothing other than keeping the lobby clean. Now, on the rare occasion when we go to McDonald's, you can't find a clean table in the entire building...during non-peak hours.
Part of it, no...a lot of it, goes to management. We had a franchise owner, and floor managers, that actually cared, and were older than 20. This, of course, rubbed off on the crew. As a result, we actually cared that our store was not only clean, but provided good quality, value and service...at a fair price. And this was while earning a whopping $2.90 an hour. I just don't see that level of...caring, anymore. Somewhere along the way, I think that people (read McDonald's employees) got the idea that they are owed, and that the customer is there just as an annoyance, and not their sole reason for being there in the first place.

Well, there you have it. I'm officially an "old-timer". "Back in my day..." :rolleyes:

Mc Donalds number 3

If you ever want to go back in time and are in the Southern California area please visit the Original Mc Donalds number 3 at the intersection of Lakewood Blvd and Florence in Lakewood California. This bulding is unchanged since the 1950's, the resisdents would not allow them to upgrade or remove this McD's even after eathquake damage. The last time I went, all of the hamburgers were cooked to order and it is the last place to still deep fry the apple pies. Next door there is a museum built like McD's number one a round drive up.

It is a nice step back in time with the old style building roof tilted to the back Golden Arches on each side. They havethe original sign with the Speedy Chef and the old logo "Your kind of Place" on it. Oh the number is stuck at 500 million sold.

Mc Donalds is your kind of place,
Put on a happy face!

When you get a McD's burger straight off the grill and not out of some storage heater area, you realized that they really were good burgers when made to order.

Warmest regards,

john in Covina

LeeB

Familiar Face
new here

Unfortunately, the concepts of common courtesy seem to have gone the way of the dodo along with common sense and speaking properly. I think people have forgotten what good manners truly are. Our only hope is to raise our kids with the type of manners we'd like to see in others.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The last time I ate at McDonalds was 5 years ago in Tokyo. I hadn't eaten at a McDonalds in the U.S. for about 10 years either but I was curious if it would be an apreciably different experience in Japan.
Well it was different. Not the food mind you,but the service. As is the custom in Japan the employees all say "Irashaimasse" when you walk in. This roughly means "please enter" or "Welcome". The young lady who took my order gave me complete attention and was faultlessly polite.
After I finished eating I got up to leave and again, per custom all of the employees who were nearby said (almost in chorus) "Arigato gozaimashita" (Thank you very much). Needless to say I don't expect to ever receive that treatment at any restaurant here. At least not from an inexpensive fast food place. Oh, and the food tasted much the same...I did eat it with more confidence because the place was so clean. Only down side to restaurants in Japan is all the cigarette smoking. They have non smoking sections but the smoke is pretty thick so good luck! I'm off to Tokyo tomorrow but no McDonalds for me. My burger needs will be filled by the wonderful Japanese fast food known as "MosBurger". Fresh and delicious...try the rice burger (seriously!). :hamburger :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
McDumpster aside, don't even get me started on the American Work Ethic. As far as I'm conserned they have no idea about a work ethic. Show up, do a half assed job and leave. I work in the Land Surveying industry and see a lot of constructions sites that hire the day labor that can't even understand english. Now that's just flat dangerous. On those same sites I see most of the underground work half assed. Then later they wonder why the sewer either didn't flow or it failed a pressure test and leaked. It's because they hire people that are brain dead and think that they are entitled to a high wage just because the work construction or opperate heavy equipment. I'm not saying all contractors hire a bunch of nit wits, but I do personally know a few that have and frankly it's embarassing. No wonder housing costs have gone through the roof. They have to do something three or more times before getting it right.
Well, enough of my soap box.

Have a wonderful McDonaldsless Christmas y'all.

Cheers!

Dan

Section10

One of the Regulars
I worked for an engineering consulting firm and spent several years on a survey crew. Then I decided I would do some construction inspection and testing so they taught me and sent me out. I did it for 3 years and then asked to go back surveying. It seemed like it was all about the paper work and what went on in the field was secondary. Now I'm not Mr. Rule Book, exactly, but if something didn't pass and I called them on it, it was like it was my fault and pretty soon I'd get a call from my boss and...... the bottom line was keep the job going smoothly -- regardless of what results you get. And make darn sure the paperwork reflected it. Now I'm not saying anything was deliberately shoddy, but contractors who bid low to get jobs are up against it all the way through and it shows. Only about 20% of the survey jobs we did were related to construction and I was very happy to put it all behind me.

A step back in Time!

I made a boo-boo it is in Downey not Lakewood.

John in Covina said:
If you ever want to go back in time and are in the Southern California area please visit the Original Mc Donalds number 3 at the intersection of Lakewood Blvd and Florence in Lakewood California. This bulding is unchanged since the 1950's, the resisdents would not allow them to upgrade or remove this McD's even after eathquake damage. The last time I went, all of the hamburgers were cooked to order and it is the last place to still deep fry the apple pies. Next door there is a museum built like McD's number one a round drive up.

It is a nice step back in time with the old style building roof tilted to the back Golden Arches on each side. They havethe original sign with the Speedy Chef and the old logo "Your kind of Place" on it. Oh the number is stuck at 500 million sold.

Mc Donalds is your kind of place,
Put on a happy face!

When you get a McD's burger straight off the grill and not out of some storage heater area, you realized that they really were good burgers when made to order.

Warmest regards,

john in Covina

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Section10: I know exactly what you mean. But because of liability we don't cut any slack. An underground crew had to dig up an entire stretch of sewer line because it just didn't flow and we weren't going to sign off on it and neither was the City. Boy were they ever mad at having to do that over again. And that was just two weeks ago. But if we did sign off on it and it failed even 10 years down the line it's our butts in a sling, and I'm not about to do that to my Company. I'm not saying all constructions crews don't care or don't know what they're doing, quite a few crews th I work with are some of the best and efficient groups to work with, but a lot of them are in such a rush that hefty mistakes get made by folks that don't have the experience or just don't care enough to do it right the first time or they just overlooks something simple and critical. In the end it's the new homebuyer that pays the price either padded in the housing cost or having to get stuff dug up and reworked later because of some failure in wokmanship. Very few people I meet care enough about their jobs to do a good and proper job of it. And then they have the nerve to be supprised when they don't get the big raise that they thought they were entitled to. It's all about caring and taking pride in a job well done the first time, and very few do. It is saddening. I take great pride in my job, I do most of it right the first time, but sometimes I fall and miss a couple of things, but I rectify the situation correct the mistake and own up to that mistake. My Boss appreciates that, and my work ethic. So that way there are a lot of "atta' boys" and very few "aw craps" to remember.
But hey, that's just me. My folks instilled a good work ethic from a very early age, and I thank them from the bottem of my heart for that lesson.

Cheers!

Dan

Cheers!

Dan

Modern Bussiness Ethics.

I got fired for pointing out the company I was working for was sending out Standard water pumps and Universal Joints as the Premium line. Now they did have most of the Premiums were made to a premium spec, but in the UJoints they had a number where they just packaged the reggular ones in a premium box. The UJ was supposed to have been manufactured with a specific forging style for greater strength. In water pumps their ad was that the premium was x amount better that the regular. They used an improved impeller to make the premium ones. The regular pumps with a cast iron impeller they would not make any improvements so they just sent out the regular ones in the premium box. Treat the customer as stupid was their logo.

Anyway I am planning to send a letter to the better business bureau shortly.

john

Section10

One of the Regulars
You are right of course, D J and you'll get no argument from me. Now that I'm employed elsewhere, I wish I had better feelings about where I worked before. I would spend months on end risking my life on a daily basis for this outfit doing what you might call "extreme surveying" and have nothing to show for it other than the daily wage I got and some aching bones. I guess I shouldn't complain, though, I expected no more at the time.

Steve

Practically Family
Well, you have to look at the big picture. I blame the "ghetto gangsta" movement more than anything. We have a generation who don't want to apply themselves in high school and consequently don't go to college. Then they're good for nothing more than McDonald's or bagging groceries.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Well said

Fast Food is just that; in and out. The people working there are entry level and can always go work at Hardee's or Burger King or Long John Silver's etc. The public always wants the best service for the least possible price. I prefer spending a little extra at Nordstroms or Dillards and getting a better quality with far superior service than Wal-Mart or Gap. Plus, I end up going there less because the quality is better. When I eat at McD's or Hardee's :hamburger I'm hungry in 90 minutes. I would rather hit speed dial on the cell phone, call a familiar diner and have take out ready when I get there. I spend $3 more but, the quality is there and so is the service.:hamburger :hamburger :hamburger :hamburger :cheers1:

varga49

One of the Regulars
Michaelson said:
Mixed feelings about McDonalds. My wife and I recently travelled up in Northern Tennessee, and stopped by a McDonalds for the required 'pit stop', and my needed cup of coffee. I asked the young, fresh faced lady behind the counter for a small cup of coffee.
She announced in a LOUD, clear, official sounding voice. "Yes sir, that's one Senior coffee...65 cents!"
I probably won't have that experience..but not because I don't drink coffee. I don't patronize Mc'Donalds..!

shamus

Suspended
I don't seem to see that there is a problem. Every place I worked, everyone for the most part tried to do the best they could.

Sure, there are slackers, there always were. Remedial jobs are where most slackers seem to filter down to anyway. And there were the ones that went above and beyond. There will always be both kinds.

As to a blame can you really use music? In the late 60's, some "people" were blambing the hippies, then before that in the 50's it was Rock and Roll. And Jazz in the 20's.

Are we measuring a work force attitude to a standard that was pre 1920? That was almost 90 years ago. I believe retirement is still 65. A total work life cycle has passed and this is what were using?

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
Michaelson said:
It's true in all forms of retail sales, be it McDonalds or a lumber store. I've worked them too, and your point is well taken, but not JUST limited to the fast food industry. Truth be known, some folks just get their 'jollies' making retail sales folks look bad, as they KNOW they aren't allowed to talk back to or bad mouth a customer, no matter HOW wrong the customer is...that's the job of a manager, and even THEY have their limits to what they can do. It's a power thing, and for small people, sometimes it's the only sense of 'power' they can ever experience, so the retail folks bear the brunt of it.

As someone who has worked retail, I can certainly confirm that. And if you work hardware or something that sells parts for home projects, don't ever tell someone that their project isn't going to work. First they get mad at you for questioning their plan, and then later they come back mad because it didn't work! LOL

But I also think that the quality of retail employees is in decline, probably due to many factors. Maybe that's why I like to buy through the internet and mail order when I can. And I avoid fast food joints ever since I saw one of those hidden camera investigations on 60 Minutes or 20/20 or some similar show. Ugh!

varga49

One of the Regulars
Well Said

shamus said:
I don't seem to see that there is a problem. Every place I worked, everyone for the most part tried to do the best they could.

Sure, there are slackers, there always were. Remedial jobs are where most slackers seem to filter down to anyway. And there were the ones that went above and beyond. There will always be both kinds.

As to a blame can you really use music? In the late 60's, some "people" were blambing the hippies, then before that in the 50's it was Rock and Roll. And Jazz in the 20's.

Are we measuring a work force attitude to a standard that was pre 1920? That was almost 90 years ago. I believe retirement is still 65. A total work life cycle has passed and this is what were using?
I aggree with you Shamus.
With regards to our work ethic, things have been changing in this country for a long time. And there's plenty to speculate on. I look at the dissolution of the american family and wonder if there is any correlation to a declining work ethic. In all my years of work (Dept of Defense), and after having supervised a few folks, I can say that I've seen slakers at every level. In a high demand field slakers either become productive or fall to the next rung on the ladder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points