Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The modern work ethic . . .

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Harry Lime said:
A friend of mine who is very successful and self employed told me that if there's one thing he hopes to teach his children "it's to never be reliant on a company." I think the argument about self-worth is a great one. We've all seen men broken by dissappointments.

As much as people may see a decline in modern workers we should also acknowledge a decline in quality of the average American company. Companies simply do not take care of their own the way they once did, the trust in many of these institutions has eroded, rightfully.

I personally no longer believe in being "a company man." There is too little incentive, too many dirty-dealings in backroom politics, too few people to trust. Business is not a religion, but that is what many big businesses preach to "build their brands." Business as religion and faux icons have no place in my life.

The person who truly values himself and his work needs to look for opportunities in this world to start his own business or become self-employed. Fine services and skills are still valued and will be sought out; the means of offering them may need to change. A strength of our country is that it offers all a chance to enter the system and succeed. Maybe more of those who want this success need to think about entering the system in a new way.

Harry Lime

I agree! Employer Ethic has also declined. This is why I work for myself.

Section10

One of the Regulars
varga49 said:
Self worth and work ethic, being a part of ones greater moral ethic are inseperable. It doesn't matter if your shoveling feces or gold, whether one can see it or not, work habits, directly impact/affect ones personal integrity. At the risk of sounding lofty and full of crap, I have to add; a person does not necessarily need to find fulfillment in their work BUT in themselves.
Oh By The Way I'm really enjoying this thread. Excellent points made by everyone!

A few slight differences, perhaps: For various reasons there are many people who have no job and never will do any kind of work, yet they can still have a sound self-worth independently of a work ethic.
I think one's personal integrity is more apt to impact their work habits and not the other way around.
A person ought to find fulfillment in themselves apart from any job they may have, but if you can also find it in your work it is an extra bonus to life even though it is not the cornerstone of self-worth.:cheers1:

Colonel

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
I agree! Employer Ethic has also declined. This is why I work for myself.
Working for yourself is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I made that move in March of 1995, and I've never regretted it even for a single moment. Also, there are plenty of reasons to do so beyond the "employer ethic" idea. I only wish that self-employment were emphasized (or even mentioned) in the schools. Students keep getting it drilled into their heads that making a living means working for someone else. I see a subversive reason behind that, but then I'm just a conspiracy nut...

Good day and God Bless.

Colonel said:
Working for yourself is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. I made that move in March of 1995, and I've never regretted it even for a single moment. Also, there are plenty of reasons to do so beyond the "employer ethic" idea. I only wish that self-employment were emphasized (or even mentioned) in the schools. Students keep getting it drilled into their heads that making a living means working for someone else. I see a subversive reason behind that, but then I'm just a conspiracy nut...

Good day and God Bless.

Well, join the conspiracy club.

Unless a child is lucky enough to be in a great school, the school is there to crank out cogs for the machine. Don't aim high, kids. Learn the skills you'll need to join the assembly line. Not that there's anything wrong with working an assembly line, but the schools shouldn't be discouraging aspiration, as they clearly do if i'm to believe what i hear from recent high school graduates.

bk

For various reasons there are many people who have no job and never will do any kind of work, yet they can still have a sound self-worth independently of a work ethic.

I am a great fan and admirer of St. Anthony of Egypt, who in the late third century and early fourth century went out to the desert and founded monasticism. Beyond question he was one of the great influence on the entire course of Western civilization and - by all accounts - apparently a most admirable man as well.

Nevertheless, the adjective "unemployed" fits him.

Billingsgate said:
I am a great fan and admirer of St. Anthony of Egypt, who in the late third century and early fourth century went out to the desert and founded monasticism. Beyond question he was one of the great influence on the entire course of Western civilization and - by all accounts - apparently a most admirable man as well.

Nevertheless, the adjective "unemployed" fits him.
Not true: he had a VOCATION where his job was service to the people thru spreading of the Gospel. He was called to do it and it was his job.
It is admiralble work.

I've been working for myself for about five years now. I'm a computer consultant and am the sole employee of my company. As Ring Larder had put it, my office is in my hat. Whenever I have a dispute about a bill with a client I always tell them:

'There are far too many people who are running their businesses as businessmen. I run mine as a gentleman.'

That usually shuts them up.

Regards,

Senator Jack

varga49

One of the Regulars
excuse me while I pick the fly poop out of the pepper!

"A few slight differences, perhaps: For various reasons there are many people who have no job and never will do any kind of work, yet they can still have a sound self-worth independently of a work ethic."

I assume you are referring to people with whom at least some, or perhaps all 5 basic needs are being met and will never need to work. true enough, but those people are the exception and not the rule

"I think one's personal integrity is more apt to impact their work habits and not the other way around."

I agree ones personal integrity is being formed much earlier than a work ethic.
After rereading my last post I think I meant to refer to ones self esteem!

"A person ought to find fulfillment in themselves apart from any job they may have, but if you can also find it in your work it is an extra bonus to life even though it is not the cornerstone of self-worth."

Again, a person is far better off doing the best he/she can do with the job at hand for no other reason than it feeds the soul.:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21