Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Monuments Men

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I saw it today and liked it quite a bit. It does have a bit of Hollywood to it in, one scene particularly, but it's better than I expected from director/writer George Clooney.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
As for the movie: I'm looking forward to seeing it. It should be pretty good as Clooney is rarely is attached to bad films these days.

Well, it wasn't bad, ACL, but it wasn't great either. The acting was good to very good. A well chosen ensemble, including John Goodman, Bill Murray, and Bob Balaban. The uniforms and vehicles were fun to see and the scenery was (as you'd expect) spectacular.

Still, both my wife and I left the theatre shaking our heads and wondering... "Why wasn't this better?" The answer came to me the next day. It was the story. It was just too episodic. This could have been a VERY interesting mini-series of say about four hours duration if the story lines had been stronger.

As a movie it was three stars overall, even though I would STILL encourage all you WWII flyboys and flygals to go see it. Your hard-earned shekels won't be wasted.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Zemke Fan said:
Still, both my wife and I left the theatre shaking our heads and wondering... "Why wasn't this better?" The answer came to me the next day. It was the story. It was just too episodic. This could have been a VERY interesting mini-series of say about four hours duration if the story lines had been stronger.
Just watched this for free... thankfully, for I didn't find it that compelling. As you say it was too episodic and almost seemed like a documentary with re-enactments, except someone forgot to attach the sonorous narration.

Metatron

One Too Many
Pretty mediocre film. Unfocused in terms of characterization, too self satisfied. There is a recurring 'i'm so proud of what we are doing and so happy to be with you guyz' speech that I find a bit tiring. Let the story speak for itself, I say!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Metatron said:
Pretty mediocre film. Unfocused in terms of characterization, too self satisfied. There is a recurring 'i'm so proud of what we are doing and so happy to be with you guyz' speech that I find a bit tiring. Let the story speak for itself, I say!
Yeah, you're right about that recurring speech, and about the fuzzy characters and self satisfaction. I'd go further and say it has the now-standard American awesomeness and self-sacrificial dedication to truth, light, and everything good while the Germans, all of them, including their children, were fanatical monsters seeking only to burn everything to the ground. The British character was very hackneyed. Wonderful actors like John Goodman and Bill Murray are given almost nothing to do and nothing that even begins to require their talent. Thinking about that, the movie might have been better if most of the actors were relative unknowns with only one big actor, such as Clooney as their leader. Also, I have never liked Cate Blanchett, lol

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, you're right about that recurring speech, and about the fuzzy characters and self satisfaction. I'd go further and say it has the now-standard American awesomeness and self-sacrificial dedication to truth, light, and everything good while the Germans, all of them, including their children, were fanatical monsters seeking only to burn everything to the ground. The British character was very hackneyed. Wonderful actors like John Goodman and Bill Murray are given almost nothing to do and nothing that even begins to require their talent. Thinking about that, the movie might have been better if most of the actors were relative unknowns with only one big actor, such as Clooney as their leader. Also, I have never liked Cate Blanchett, lol

You had me right until the last sentence... blasphemy.... BLASPHEMY I say!!!!!

Worf

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
I watched it on DVD a few weeks ago and really wanted to enjoy it. It couldn't make up its mind if it was a comedy or an action drama.....and sadly it didn't pull either off well.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I will grant the Cate Blanchett fans this much: by the time her dinner with Matt Damon's character happens and she dresses up and lets her hair down, then, yes, I would have been forgetting about the wife back stateside... And I should admit that the scene where Bob Balaban plays the record from home for Bill Murray brought tears to my eyes, probably because nobody can evoke sad, tired middle-aged man like Bill Murray.

I recommend anyone interested in the whole "Nazi's stealing western art at the end of the war" storyline check out "The Train" with Burt Lancaster. I imagine it's probably less historically accurate than "Monuments Men", but it's a helluva better film.

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Neat idea, great cast but execution left me a mixed/cold, something just didn't quite gel here... Also, I found it a little grating that is was only the token non-Americans who died. Maybe that happened in real life/book but it struck me a little U-571 ish...

tommyK

One Too Many
I thought Clooney and everything else was great about the Cohen Brothers dustbowl odyssey "Oh brother, Where Art Thou". I'm generally drawn to period pieces as well but this has too much of the Hollywood backslapping reek of "Ocean's Eleven".

I'm greatful for the reviews here. Convinces me to pass on this. Unless those who have seen it tell me it's jam packed with great period correct fedoras?

I thought Clooney and everything else was great about the Cohen Brothers dustbowl odyssey "Oh brother, Where Art Thou". I'm generally drawn to period pieces as well but this has too much of the Hollywood backslapping reek of "Ocean's Eleven".

I'm greatful for the reviews here. Convinces me to pass on this. Unless those who have seen it tell me it's jam packed with great period correct fedoras?
It's really not that bad but, based on what little I know of the real "monuments men", it's definitely a streamlined version of the story that (I believe) gives too much credit to the Americans' participation. Wait for it to come to cable/satellite tv, then watch it if you have any interest at all; I can think of worse ways to spend two hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24