Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most stylish 8 year old ever!

Geez, I'd like to know how much more it costs to dress a child correctly than it does to dress one like a slob. :rolleyes:
Vintage children's clothing is a vast untapped source for not a great deal of money. There are also other sources where you can buy the stuff by the pound. It doesn't really take a lot of money to make a child look like he belongs in GQ---just a little effort. The same applies to manners. [huh]
Soon after a child has a framework to work with, they will tell you what they want to wear and how. Believe me---I know. :p They have a sense of style. Its just a matter of letting them find it and go with it---color corrections and such go with the territory at the beginning. ;)
I think its great when parents show an interest and give guidance instead of letting the children go with the flow into looking like Bobby Hill:
bobby2.jpg

Ick!

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
Yes, that was surprising. I think that his folk's money had some bearing.

That may be true and its truly sad and slightly disturbing. But from living on this earth for 24 years I have figured out that you know...some people are blessed with money and some just aren't. Thats how life is and you just have to deal with it and make the most of what you have. Its fustrating to me that people who have been on this earth MUCH much longer than I have don't have the capacity to realize such things. Just because he was (possibly) raised in a family that is lucky enough to have money doesn't make him or his parents bad people. No one knows these people personally so to assume he's some spoiled rich kid is a bit ignorant. There are just as many examples of people with money who aren't ill hearted as there are of people who aren't with money who are.

I know I sound a bit passionate about it but I just can't stand when grown ups tease children. He's an 8 year old little boy, he hasn't been on this earth long enough to do anything horrid to make people say such things and I bet if he was any of ya'lls children you would claw out someones eyes for talking about your child that way. He didn't chose his parents and can't help his situation. (Of course all of this is pure speculation, I don't recall the article mentioning his parents net worth)

** Ok I'm stepping off the soapbox**

P.S. Sorry Tomasso, My response to your quote was only that first sentence, kind of went of a rant there lol

TheDutchess said:
That may be true and its truly sad and slightly disturbing. But from living on this earth for 24 years I have figured out that you know...some people are blessed with money and some just aren't. Thats how life is and you just have to deal with it and make the most of what you have. Its fustrating to me that people who have been on this earth MUCH much longer than I have don't have the capacity to realize such things. Just because he was (possibly) raised in a family that is lucky enough to have money doesn't make him or his parents bad people. No one knows these people personally so to assume he's some spoiled rich kid is a bit ignorant. There are just as many examples of people with money who aren't ill hearted as there are of people who aren't with money who are.

I know I sound a bit passionate about it but I just can't stand when grown ups tease children. He's an 8 year old little boy, he hasn't been on this earth long enough to do anything horrid to make people say such things and I bet if he was any of ya'lls children you would claw out someones eyes for talking about your child that way. He didn't chose his parents and can't help his situation. (Of course all of this is pure speculation, I don't recall the article mentioning his parents net worth)

You make several good points. Children are children and unless they do something that is wrong or illegal then they should be left alone by outsiders. To do otherwise also suggests that the parents are negligent, stupid or otherwise unable to raise the child correctly. [huh]
If a child grows up with a parents that have a few bucks than that is a good thing. I am perfectly happy for him and the achievement that the parents have made. I think of Horatio Alger stories there. They aren't asking for anything from me and that is even better. ;) :p It also seems that they are being attentive to the child and fostering his interests. Like my mother always used to say " a child needs a hobby, it keeps him out of trouble." If this keeps him from being a street urchin or mall rat then I say let them have at it. [huh]
I have two of my own that I spend plenty of time with and on. They don't learn through osmosis---you have to teach them. This child seems to be doing pretty good if he is already thinking of starting his own business at 8! I applaud that and encourage him. Nothing wrong with a few more entrepeneurs running around---8 or otherwise. :D

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
Like my mother always used to say " a child needs a hobby, it keeps him out of trouble." If this keeps him from being a street urchin or mall rat then I say let them have at it. [huh]

Looks like he's well on his way to becoming a thrift store rat. I think we can all agree that's a great step up from a mall rat, right? lol lol

And also, what Duchess said. Not much to add there.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
Very true, Jamespowers. For instance, my father taught me how to dress. I learned by watching him; he also took me to Brooks Brothers throughout my childhood and taught me about colors, cuts, patterns and fits there.

I don't think that little Arlo Weiner's parents are doing a particularly good job of teaching him. A scarlet velvet jacket is not becoming with burgundy velvet trousers (photo #1). Mixing one strong plaid with another (photo #2), or a strong argyle with a very strong plaid, doesn't look good. The trousers in photo #7 have never known a hem. The colors in photo #8 don't flatter each other. The other outfits are much better, but overall Arlo's style is uneven in quality. Mom and Dad should step in a bit.

I think Fashion is all about experimenting. If we all conformed and colored in the lines of fashion, fashion wouldn't progress what so ever. I'm sure Chanel was called a nut for creating womens wear that didn't require heavy under garments and John Galliano for Dior's collection has some of the most out there pieces but he is considered one of the most influential designers of our time. Arlo is just experimenting with fashion. His parents probably aren't stepping in b/c they want him to figure out what works and what doesn't work, thats how creativity begins. Arlo isn't that much of a fashion martian, here are other examples of people who don't color inside the lines:

2169dkgbweb.jpg

greenprintpants.jpg

fashgreen1111.jpg

Images from http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
This is very interesting to read Marc, as I think you are one of the sharpest dressed men I've seen (okay, at least in the pics you post!). I'm always now watching old movies of Mr. Astaire, the BBC JaneAustens and Merchant Ivory films with Daniel and we discuss the clothes and all; saying look at how he pairs x with y, see how that pattern goes with that solid, look at the color of those socks with his shirt color, see that hat, etc. Sounds like I need to take him to Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren for some window shopping/clothing lessons. Thanks!

We also now have the opportunity to see some amazingly well dressed ladies and gents in our local Art Deco Society and in the BAWMHRS group we've recently become part of. Its a wonderful learning experience in particular to see what the gentlemen show up in at various events, and they are always willing to talk clothes! Many of the people at these events have been "doing" vintage for years and years. They all are very delighted to see that Daniel is wanting to join in on the period fun at his age and making attempts to dress correctly (as best he can given the lack of vintage clothes available in his current size) for these period events.

Marc Chevalier said:
Very true, Jamespowers. For instance, my father taught me how to dress. I learned by watching him; he also took me to Brooks Brothers throughout my childhood and taught me about colors, cuts, patterns and fits there. .

Marc Chevalier said:
Very true, Jamespowers. For instance, my father taught me how to dress. I learned by watching him; he also took me to Brooks Brothers throughout my childhood and taught me about colors, cuts, patterns and fits there.

I don't think that little Arlo Weiner's parents are doing a particularly good job of teaching him. A scarlet velvet jacket is not becoming with burgundy velvet trousers (photo #1). Mixing one strong plaid with another (photo #2), or a strong argyle with a very strong plaid, doesn't look good. The trousers in photo #7 have never known a hem. The colors in photo #8 don't flatter each other. The other outfits are much better, but overall Arlo's style is uneven in quality. Mom and Dad should step in a bit.

They could well step in a bit as I mentioned---they don't learn through osmosis. However, they aren't discouraging him either and that is a start. He may, in fact, have more fashion sense than his parents so he might be on his own a bit interms of pairings and color coordination. ;) :p He'll learn. They don't exactly include pictures of his parents for reference. ;)

Tomasso said:
They could pass for vintage.

61st+Annual+DGA+Awards+Arrivals+VR-LwVaNal_l.jpg

Not bad, for Hollywood.

83935-MattWeiner.jpg

Not too great either. That white open collared shirt could use some pressing and starch.
The tux has that ridiculous white triagle showing. Either no cummberbund, vest or higher waisted pants I see. He could choose one or better yet two.
Shaving consistently would be nice too.
The son is definitely on his own there. I applaud him for his effort. :eusa_clap

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'd bet my 13yo against that kid any day...

bump.

The Art Deco Kid.

The ensemble:
vintage boater
vintage sunglasses
white pinpoint cotton spread collar dress shirt, Nordstrom
Ralph Lauren cream with black linen and cotton cricket sweater
vintage black and charcoal silk clip on bow tie
light yellow handkerchief linen bespoke trousers;
made in a 30s-40s style, with dropped belt loops, wide legs with deep cuffs, and a long rise, sitting at the natural waist
braided brown RL Chaps belt
vintage burgundy sock garters
multi-striped dress socks
Nordstrom black and burgundy shoes

Picture perfect complete with a peppermint flavored candy cigarette, posed in front of a vintage roadster!
374084024.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters