Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Moustache

coble

A-List Customer
image.jpg

3 weeks so far no cutting. One week on the rest of my face, except I did cut around the mustache area with a number one. My moustache can curl slightly, training has begun, soon the handlebar.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Been a long time since I've posted on the Lounge. I've been lurking for a long, long while. I've wanted a mustache since I can remember. All the men in my family except my father can grow one, and so the prospect of not being able to was devastating. When the 'stache began to grow in high school I was thrilled! After that I shaved it once, to dress as Glenn Miller for a history class presentation my freshman year of college. It was awful. Never again will I willing shave my mustache off!
10689740_863582010352817_5620894980428138038_n.jpg
While not the greatest photo of the mustache, it is one of my favorites. Here I am carving the brisket dinner for my wedding, the lovely lady in green is my bride.

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Moustache vs barber nightmare...

Ok gentlemen, learn from my mistake. I'm new to my area so I looked up a barber shop that got good ratings. The haircut went well, and in fact looks good. My mistake was not being super specific when I also asked for a beard trimming to clean up some of the wild edges. The barber basically went to town, and by feel it didn't feel like he was going to deep on the line out. Still that's not the bad part. Again the beard wasn't too bad, still really full and the parts that were over trimmed will grow back quickly. Here's where it goes south and I should have stated up front that this was a no go zone. I assumed that the moustache being waxed into shape should have been an indicator to trim near but not into. Without warning and before I could object, protest, or even say niet the clippers nailed the mid section of my fairly full moustache. One side was hit so the deed was done, I couldn't really stop him at this point. Now I am trimmed down to about 1/4 inch in the middle section with handlebar ends. Plus a very full beard. Needles to say I was livid, and I wanted to strangle the barber, but I keep my composure and paid my bill and left. But I will never go back in there. I know it is only one barber of many there but you think that should always ask if you want something trimmed. He asked if I wanted my eyebrows trimmed before hand, but not the moustache?
So gents, learn from my mistake. If you are with a new barber, over communicate, give him the perimeters he is allowed to trim. Let him know what is a no go zone. It seems pictures are not enough. Plus, never trust your beard and mustache to someone that is hirsute challenged.
Again, lear from my mistake. I may have a barber trim my head covering, but the beard and mustache will have to be up to me from now on. Of course this experience lead me to discover the Beard Baron and his youtube channel. So it's not a total loss. Knowledge is gained.
Hopefully I can retrain the mustache into shape again and I'll be back in good form in two or three months. Again, please over communicate if you go to a new barber. It will save you from looking like a total dork. This was my bad & I had to learn the hard way. Three years of growth and training down the drain.

Cheers!

Dan

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Gents, I'd really like to grow a moustache. But like a pencil/small moustache. But my wife is dead against it. She likes me to have a beard, but I find it too thin and patchy to look smart. Do you have any inspiration to persuade her?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Give her Errol Flynn's Autobiography "My Wicked, Wicked Ways" as a gift. There's a pic of Errol with a pencil moustache on the cover. If that doesn't melt her nothing will. ;)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Gents, I'd really like to grow a moustache. But like a pencil/small moustache. But my wife is dead against it. She likes me to have a beard, but I find it too thin and patchy to look smart. Do you have any inspiration to persuade her?

My wife hates me a) being unshaven b) growing a moustache c) growing a beard (maybe she just hates me?). So it's a massive barrier. But you should be careful, moustaches are really odd beasts and don't look good on everyone. Have you ever grown one? Do you know what it would look like on your face? They look bloody awful on me. So be warned!

fiftyforfifty

Sponsoring Affiliate
My wife hates me a) being unshaven b) growing a moustache c) growing a beard (maybe she just hates me?). So it's a massive barrier. But you should be careful, moustaches are really odd beasts and don't look good on everyone. Have you ever grown one? Do you know what it would look like on your face? They look bloody awful on me. So be warned!

True, mustaches don't look good on every face, some look much better without it.

dnjan

One Too Many
Ok gentlemen, learn from my mistake. I'm new to my area so I looked up a barber shop that got good ratings. The haircut went well, and in fact looks good. My mistake was not being super specific when I also asked for a beard trimming to clean up some of the wild edges. The barber basically went to town, and by feel it didn't feel like he was going to deep on the line out. Still that's not the bad part. Again the beard wasn't too bad, still really full and the parts that were over trimmed will grow back quickly. Here's where it goes south and I should have stated up front that this was a no go zone. I assumed that the moustache being waxed into shape should have been an indicator to trim near but not into. Without warning and before I could object, protest, or even say niet the clippers nailed the mid section of my fairly full moustache. One side was hit so the deed was done, I couldn't really stop him at this point. Now I am trimmed down to about 1/4 inch in the middle section with handlebar ends. Plus a very full beard. Needles to say I was livid, and I wanted to strangle the barber, but I keep my composure and paid my bill and left. But I will never go back in there. I know it is only one barber of many there but you think that should always ask if you want something trimmed. He asked if I wanted my eyebrows trimmed before hand, but not the moustache?
Cheers!

Dan
I once had a barber ask if I wanted my moustache trimmed. I respectfully declined.
I am still going to the same barber 15 years later, though admittedly less often since I grew my hair out 5 years ago.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
I've had a beard before, and a brief moustache for a day or so when the beard came off. I just want to try it out really. I'll give it a go when Movember comes around again. At least then if it looks foolish it's for charity.

willyto

One Too Many
I have a handlebar moustache and I assure you that I don't go unnoticed wherever I go. That's what happens when one grows his moustache and don't trim it for over a year when already having some months grown on it. I couldn't live without wax though...

November approaches and I guess with that Movember trend we will be seeing some moustaches, most of them to never be seen again.

Speakeasy

Familiar Face
I tip my hat to you gentlemen. My father has always had a moustache that suits him well, but I seem to have inherited my grandfather's habits, and prefer to be clean-shaven.

skydog757

A-List Customer
I've had a moustache ever since I could grow one, about age 19. This was during the 1970's, so they were quite common, perhaps even the norm. I have shaved it off perhaps 3 times since then and each time my nose gets bigger, my chin gets weaker and my hairline looks further back. I have not shaved my moustache for longer than most of my co-workers have been alive. I may dare it again, but I will probably begin the regrowing process the next day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails