Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Moustache

Depends on what look you want. If you're going for the "Western" look the way you have it is fine. If you want something a little more refined, then I would go with the look in the first picture, which would be more versatile. (Also if you want to keep the wife happy). Nice 'stache.

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
This thread makes me green with envy.

I would very much like to grow a mustache like William Powell sported in the Thin Man Movies, up to date all my attempts to grow a mustache have been to no avail, though.

I suffer form a hereditary aging disorder of the facial hair. I grow old at the normal rate but my mustache remains forever that of a thirteen year old.

I have this same problem. The mustache grows incredibly slow on me. Actually, it'd be more accurate to say, I grow about 1/8 inch of stubble, mustache and beard included, very quickly, and then it's a snail's pace from there. I've got a circle beard, and I only recently gave the whole thing an overall trim, but I think from now on I'll let it keep on growing. My stopping point for length of the goatee part is the jaw line, so if the mustache can extend that far as well, all the better. I've got a weak point in hair growth at the two points where the mustache meets the beard, so letting the mustache grow is probably the only way I can fix that. I'll have to try the handlebar lots of people here have. I never see anyone else doing it.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
I have always kept mine short. I don't like the feel of the hair down around the corners of my mouth.
2011-03-30175556.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Depends on what look you want. If you're going for the "Western" look the way you have it is fine. If you want something a little more refined, then I would go with the look in the first picture, which would be more versatile. (Also if you want to keep the wife happy). Nice 'stache.

Hi, I think that the guy on this site: http://www.jaxonbilthats.com/index.html is Roy Jackson, and I can't see looking like him being a bad thing in most of America. Your current look matches that pretty well. You might find out WHY el wifo doesn't approve, a longer mustache and beard is sometimes softer.

I just went back a page, and noted that you're from ENGLAND. Looking like a cowboy from the American West WILL make you stand out a bit in them parts. I have no clue if that's a good thing or not where you live. It looks good just the same.

Later

Last edited:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
You might find out WHY el wifo doesn't approve, a longer mustache and beard is sometimes softer.

You could always show her a picture of my 'tache :lol:

But yes, a longer 'tache is usually softer. Even better, use conditioner on it. Keeps it healthy and softer. Having a large moustache like I do has made me aware of the need to keep it healthy, hair loss is a terrible thing and is exacerbated by the heat and wax and combing needed to keep a handlebar in place.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I just went back a page, and noted that you're from ENGLAND. Looking like a cowboy from the American West WILL make you stand out a bit in them parts. I have no clue if that's a good thing or not where you live. It looks good just the same.
I don't always go for the full Buckaroo look like in the pic just the regular Carhartts and wranglers, wild rag when the weathers cold. The only thing that makes me stand out is the hat and I've been wearing them for years so I no longer care what anyone thinks.

1961MJS

You could always show her a picture of my 'tache :lol:

But yes, a longer 'tache is usually softer. Even better, use conditioner on it. Keeps it healthy and softer. Having a large moustache like I do has made me aware of the need to keep it healthy, hair loss is a terrible thing and is exacerbated by the heat and wax and combing needed to keep a handlebar in place.
Hi Nick, just how messy IS mustache wax anyway? I've started on my way to the "Roy look", but since I"m only half way, I have the capability to do a bit of a handlebar. I have light and dark brown hair in my beard along with some gray. Is the brown wax really really messy?

Thanks, I can scare small children, my youngest just turned 21 and I'm not a grandpa that I've been told about anyway.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My 'stash is rather mundane when compared to some seen on the Lounge. Sad to say, I must project a conservative image when I stand before a jury, lest my appearance distract them from the facts I'm trying to present. A good prosecutor tries to stay out from in front of his case, as they say.

Still, it’s an old 'stash. I first grew it thirty some years ago and haven't shaved it since.

Dscn3578.jpg

AF

I don't always go for the full Buckaroo look like in the pic just the regular Carhartts and wranglers, wild rag when the weathers cold. The only thing that makes me stand out is the hat and I've been wearing them for years so I no longer care what anyone thinks.

Good for you! I wear fedoras regularly and Open Roads, but still reluctant to wear a full on Cowboy hat, even over here in the States. (Unless to a Rodeo or something).

Very nice, conservative mustache you have Atticus. I would think that is not a problem in the courtroom. What part of Carolina are you in? We are familiar with the Wilmington, Southport area.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
For the better part of a decade now I've been growing a nice thin William Powell style mustache, leaving it on for about 18 months, and then deciding that it was time to liberate my upper lip again. Happened again last Wednesday. Nobody at work noticed for 2 days. Go figure. But I'm sure it will return in a year or so.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I grow at times a Gable stache, then sometimes a pyramidal mustache, and right now I have one styled much like DeGaulle's.
Personally I am not a fan of other forms of facial hair (on myself). I consider a moustache, if done right, to look sophisticated. It's sort of a family tradition as well. My grandfather and great grandfather had pyramidal, Gable-ish mustaches, very similar to my own. There's only three photos of my great grandfather, one dating from the mid-late 1930s and two from 1945. He's wearing the moustache in all three. My grandfather on the other hand is first recorded photographically as having a moustache in March 1966; By May of '66, it was gone. As far as I know, it didn't reappear until 1972 (though pictures from '66 to '72 are scant so it could've). He had it for most of the time from at least 1972 until his death in 1975. My father had for most of his youth (from 17 until 35) a thick mustache ala Tom Selleck--In all different stylings and variations until 1989. So it's a family tradition.

Bruce Wayne

Handlebar Mustache Questions

To the Gents of the Lounge that currently or have had in the past a handle bar mustache: How long did it take for you to grow your wiskers long enough to start creating the handle bar? I am currently at the "messy stage." I would say that I am about 1/2 way there. Also, what kind of wax do you recommend? I am currently trying a generic Pinaud wax that is more of a cream consistentcy & has little to no hold.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Big Fella

Familiar Face
Charlie, can't tell you how long it will take you to grow a handlebar, as I've had mine most of 20 years, but I can comment on wax. During that time, I have tried every(well almost) produced mustache wax, mixed them together,and blended my own from scratch. Just the other day, I decided to stop messing with all of this stuff. I am going to stay with Murry's with pure Australian BEESWAX.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
The times I had mine it took on average about 1 month or so, before I was able to pull the points. After 2 months, it was really full.

As for the wax ... I prefer Oregon or Firehouse.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Although all moustaches are different, I would recommend against Clubman. Firehouse, Hndlebars, and Oregon Wild Hair are all US-based wax brands with good reputations, I started out using Firehouse. Now I use a UK wax called Bounder, which is very stiff and has a great scent but doesn't hold up well in the rain. I may try a DIY wax.

It doesn't take long to start combing it to the side. I already had a trimmed moustache when I started growing mine out, and all grow at different rates, but within a few weeks you should have graspable extremities. Probably the best place to go for info on handlebar moustaches is the Handlebar Club's forum, www.handlebarclubforum.org

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo