Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The new Mullett

We call it a faux hawk around here as well, and I much prefer the mullet to it, we still have many around here. And hey, they usually are found wherever Trans Am's, Radar Love, and Bachman Turner Overdrive are found.

Tripnastic

New in Town
My wife was having her hair done at a salon in the mall and says "Why don't you just get your hair cut here so you don't have to go tomorrow to the barber". I give her the skeptical look, argue that it's 27 dollars more than I would normally pay...to no avail.

I sit in the chair and the stylist asks me what I want. "business cut, about a 3 on the sides, little longer on top, I part it on the left". The stylist said "I can't believe you still part your hair! and I never use clippers, here, what about something like this?" and he shows me a picture of a faux hawk.

I got up and told my wife I'd be waiting for her at the bookstore.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
AtomicEraTom said:
We call it a faux hawk around here as well, and I much prefer the mullet to it, we still have many around here. And hey, they usually are found wherever Trans Am's, Radar Love, and Bachman Turner Overdrive are found.
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
herringbonekid said:
in England that is called the 'Hoxton fin' after the trendy area of Hoxton, east London where the style was frequently seen.

That is it, yes... I was always torn between considering it to be an admirably flexible look, and regarding it as reflective of little more than born of cowardice in relation to getting an actual mohawk. Not that I much cared for a mohawk, myself - were I to adopt something along those lines, I would much rather a mohican.

mattfink

Practically Family
The new mullet is still the mullet....people are rocking them every day! I call that haircut you are describing the "safety hawk". I had a real mohawk back in the 80's and had to fight off attacks on a near daily basis.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Actual mullets were back-in in a big way about 8 years ago over here - but really only with the proper fashionistas. It made very pretty girls look like Nigel Tufnell. It seems to have died out again now thankfully.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
The mullet is still popular in deep South Jersey. Especially the moustache/mullet combo. Worn in all seriousness since 1982!!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tripnastic said:
My wife was having her hair done at a salon in the mall and says "Why don't you just get your hair cut here so you don't have to go tomorrow to the barber". I give her the skeptical look, argue that it's 27 dollars more than I would normally pay...to no avail.

I sit in the chair and the stylist asks me what I want. "business cut, about a 3 on the sides, little longer on top, I part it on the left". The stylist said "I can't believe you still part your hair! and I never use clippers, here, what about something like this?" and he shows me a picture of a faux hawk.

lol :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
MissHannah said:
Actual mullets were back-in in a big way about 8 years ago over here - but really only with the proper fashionistas. It made very pretty girls look like Nigel Tufnell. It seems to have died out again now thankfully.

Jinkies, aye, I remember that.... it was the very nadir of ironic dressing. I seem to recall it being particularly associated with the band Tiger (whom both the NME and especially the then still extant Melody Maker tried hard to hype, without much success). Sort of thing one would expect to see in abundance in the Shoreditch area where "Look at me! Isn't my intentionally awful haircut and outfit just hilarious!" styling is still rather popular.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Here in the Swan River Colony, 10 years ago all the Bright Young Things were running around town with the "Troll Doll" hair do (often Bleached blonde) it seems to have filtered down now, one seems to see middle aged Businessmen/Lawyers sporting it, thinking themselves young and kewl, too funny for words, yet rather sad too"

The sad thing is, this describes me and my friends now, in the Wal-Mart parking lot, except they all drive jacked up pickups. But there's usually "Gimmie Three Steps" or some David Allan Coe and my hillbilly friends who all work at the local Truck Wash. I have a white trashy side I guess.

Widebrim said:
Excellent, Tom! Sounds like my home town of Glendale in the '70s.

Miss Moonlight said:
Am I the only person who sees that style and thinks, "Kewpie Doll?"

I was thinking Ed Grimley.

84d1201139707-check-out-new-top-chef-contestants-grimley.gif

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
AtomicEraTom said:
And hey, they usually are found wherever Trans Am's, Radar Love, and Bachman Turner Overdrive are found.

I dunno about that... I've always been a Golden Earring and BTO fan, even had Radar Love playing on the MP3 player just the other day and not a mullet in sight! (Nor faux-hawk nor bed-head unless ya catch me just after getting out of bed...)

Cheers,
Tom

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Tango Yankee said:
I dunno about that... I've always been a Golden Earring and BTO fan, even had Radar Love playing on the MP3 player just the other day and not a mullet in sight! (Nor faux-hawk nor bed-head unless ya catch me just after getting out of bed...)

Cheers,
Tom

Haha! I love "classic rock", too and I look like I stepped out of the late 30s! :D

Talbot

One Too Many
Tripnastic said:

I for one salute you!

T

Talbot

One Too Many
AtomicEraTom said:
The sad thing is, this describes me and my friends now, in the Wal-Mart parking lot, except they all drive jacked up pickups. But there's usually "Gimmie Three Steps" or some David Allan Coe and my hillbilly friends who all work at the local Truck Wash. I have a white trashy side I guess.

Nothing wrong with keeping it real I say.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner