Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

carter

I'll Lock Up
I had lunch with Jimmy Pierce last week at Lover's Pizza & Pasta in Old Lake Highlands at Casa Linda. He was wearing a Stetson 100 and I was wearing one of his custom hats. The waitress always comments on my hat and has even seen some as they came out of the box for the first time. As we were chatting by the car after lunch, a man stopped and asked where we had purchased our hats as they were what he was looking for to wear with his suit(s). He wanted to know where the store was and was it close by. We explained that Jimmy is a custom hatmaker and I was wearing one of his hats. He left with Jimmy's card. Hopefully, he'll order a hat.

duggap

Banned
Yesterday I went for my afternoon glass of tea and as I was half way to the counter the clerk yells out, "wonderful looking hat". Then she showed me her hands to let me know they were clean and asked if she could touch it. She went on and on about the feel of the felt. Then today as I came out of a lunch meeting a woman I had never seen held the door for me and said "you look great in that hat." In both cases I was wearing one of Art's work of
Art. Yes folks, I know it was the hats, not me, but my chest stuck out just the same.:p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Last weekend I was in the Catskills with my GF. We went on a fall foliage ride, and stopped at a little antiques shop. I was just wearing khaki pants, a broadcloth shirt, a tweed sportcoat and my new Knox fedora.
After we got back in the car I was informed that the two ladies in the store had been going on and on about how nicely I was dresed, "like a real man, not like my husband", etc. Quite flattering.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
I was in Dunkin D's this am getting my usual medium coffee to go when an elderly lady commented on how I was dressed. I was wearing a non vintage coat and tie and had on one of Johnny Phi's Lee adventurer's. She said she loved the hat and the look.....

She smiled and said you must be running for office........:):)

Ghost

Wesne

One of the Regulars
A co-worker told me the other day that her teenage son wants a hat like mine; he thinks it's cool. But then she added something like "I never thought a teenager would think a hat like that was cool." :eusa_doh:

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
When it rains, it pours.

They've been coming rather often lately, though I haven't really changed anything. I wonder why they all come at once?

I'm a student teacher at the moment and we are supposed to dress "professionally" (meaning shirt and tie, no jeans). Most of the teachers at the high school where I'm teaching wear jeans and polo shirts or button-down shirts with no tie. I wear a jacket and tie, though I can't wear my hats there (bummer). Last week, one of the student told me I looked sharp and I reminded him of his grandpa on Sunday mornings. I can dig that.

Later that week, I was sitting on a bench at school (back at the University) doing my homework and smoking my pipe, wearing jump boots, jeans, khaki work shirt, and my grey fedora. A guy walked by, stopped, looked at me, walked back and said, "You look like an interesting character." I told him thanks and he informed me he was making a film for his senior project in Performance Arts and wondered if I might like to be in it. He didn't know what kind of movie it was going to be yet, though, and asked me what movie I would like to be in. Odd, but flattering nonetheless.

Today, as I was getting ready to leave the chiropractor's office after getting readjusted, the receptionist told me "I love that you wear hats! I wish more men and women wore hats!" I was pleased with that one, too. I do wonder, though, why people who say such things don't start wearing hats themselves.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
It has actually been some time since I've gotten a comment on my hats (positive or negative), so I feel like I should add this one.

Just yesterday, I was at my university's bookstore to purchase my cap and gown (and other grad paraphernalia) for my graduation in December. I was wearing my Johnnyphi Adam Executive with a nice blue button up shirt and slacks. The woman who came up to me and started helping me with my graduation package was telling me all about the different packages and the prices. Then in the middle of it, she just stopped and said, "Okay, I have to say this. I just think its very nice that you're wearing a hat!" I smiled and said thank you. She was a real nice woman to talk to, and probably in her 50's. I RARELY get comments from people in my own generation. I guess I just occasionally remind an older generation of a nostalgic past.

Golden Earache

One of the Regulars
Drive-by approving

I was walking down the sidewalk today to the store and someone, didn't see who, drove by at about 50 and yelled "Nice hat"! I thought it was funny.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScionPI2005 said:
lol Don't worry Big Man! When I said "older", I merely meant older than me. Definitely not OLD as in old. lol :D

Good answer. I'll bet your degree is in Political Science, right? :D :D :D

dnjan

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
"Okay, I have to say this. I just think its very nice that you're wearing a hat!" I smiled and said thank you. She was a real nice woman to talk to, and probably in her 50's. I RARELY get comments from people in my own generation. I guess I just occasionally remind an older generation of a nostalgic past.

Get a bit older, and you will start reminding widows about how nicely their husbands used to dress. Good, in an uncomfortable kind of way.

duggap

Banned
On those days when I am rushed I will go to our nearby shopping center and eat a quick bite at the food court. Yesterday, as I sat there, a man walked up to my table and excused himself and said he just wanted to tell me that was a beautiful fedora I was wearing. Made me feel kind of special. I was wearing a navy Trackside by Art Fawcett.:D

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I just finally started wearing hats last winter, I can't tell you how many nice comments I received just about everywhere I go.....

The latest one was in a Jared's Jewelry store. I had taken my wife's rings in to be inspected and cleaned, and was there to pick them up. The man came out from the repair area and said "NICE FEDORA" ...

Makes one feel good, yes it does......

ortega76

Practically Family
The wife and I were on the road this morning. We popped into McDonald's for a drink and there was an older guy in a Stacy Adams brown bowler. I was wearing my Champ stingy. I nodded to him, he came over and shook my hand.

carter

I'll Lock Up
While I was picking up a suit and extra troussrs at Jos A Bank earlier this week one of the salesmen commented on how much he liked my Akubra Campdraft . Whenever I go in there he makes a nice comment on the hat I'm wearing. They may sell inexpensive wool hats but he knows a nice when he sees one.

ken100

Familiar Face
Nice comments

I get heaps of nice comments, couple I really like... while in county New South Wales, wearing a very worn Snowy river Akubra a guy asked if my hat ever has pups can he have one. Two ladies in a park said that I was the stylish man they had seen in a long time and asked my marital status. Young lass in the super market commented "funky hat" towards my pork pie and borrowing a fellow loungers tag line I said "you know what they say about a man wearing a hat?, reply.. no, what do they say about a man wearing a hat?
....that mans wearing a hat! left the store with the girl almost doubled over with mirth. I love hats if only for the connection they create with our fellow travelers on this funny ride called life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner