Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Big_e

Practically Family
I wore my Dynafelt Derby today. I went to my favorite diner to have supper. After my meal, I sat at the bar and sipped on my coffee. Today the waitress and the cook were extra chatty with me telling me that I had a neat hat. An older patron drinking his coffee was sitting a couple of stools away looks me square in the eye and says, "That is a really nice hat." I raise my coffee mug in his direction and say thank you. He asks me if I was at the store earlier since he thinks he saw me wearing my hat there. I tell him I wasn't at the store today, I look at him and say. "Sir, nobody in town has a hat like this." He busts out laughing and agrees saying that the hat he saw was more of a Bogart type hat. All in all, I had good conversation today.
Ernest

Sam Craig

One Too Many
too many to choose from

I have been in a professional position in a small town for 31 years.

Same office

Same block of the same business district.

I've worn hats ... classic western or fedoras mostly with a few caps and homburgs thrown in ... for that whole time

I have noticed over the years that people have become ... at least in my experience ... more receptive of a nice hat, rather than less

But by far, the nicest hat compliment I ever received came in another country.

I was on a mission trip to a small town in northern Honduras ... coffee farm country.

I had worn an old, Steton Open Road on which I had done a "gus" crease on the crown and a "soft" pencil roll on the brim

It's a very comfortable hat and I have worn it for casual wear for years.

Anyway, the further south we went, the more people looked at the hat. I almost thought the customs inspector in San Pedro Sula was going to keep it.

One day, the missionary we were there to help and I were running errands in a town near the clinic where we were working and a group of Honduran men were watching us ... nothing new about that ... gringa and gringo ... and then one of them approached and asked her a question. They had a short conversation and then he said "'dios" and left.

She explained later, the group of men really like the old OR and he had just wanted to ask her is she had any idea where I had found it.

Kansas, she told him.

"I see" was approximately his disappointed reply.

I felt it was about as nice a compliment as any hat could get.

Sam

dnjan

One Too Many
bolthead said:
Indeed, I had nowhere to hang it, nor rest it, so it stayed on my noggin.....I'm funny that way. [huh]
I have been carrying an elastic string with a plastic-jawed clip on the end almost since I started wearing hats, to deal with that exact problem. I have always been able to come up with a way to attach it to the back of my chair, and the plastic-jawed clip is gentle enough for the hat.
Works well in airline seats also (elastic string goes over the top of the stowed tray table).

frussell

One Too Many
V.S. gets a few

Normally, as a fairly large fellow in an area of California that does not have a lot of fedora wearers, I get more stares than comments. Last Friday I wore my granite Fawcett to play music with some folks I get together with a couple of times a month. Since most of them are over 70, I was besieged with comments, all positive. The older ladies especially seemed to like it. "You look very handsome in your hat, Frank," said one octaganerian. Must have been Art's work, because I don't get accused of being handsome often. Frank.

It's a rarity for me to get complinments, my friends will on occasion let me know, now and again at church. I did get one in LA a guy managed to work in a compliment with his pan handling, he said i looked so good I should give him a hundred dollar bill.:eusa_doh:

theinterchange

One Too Many
I get FAR more good than bad

Nice to see this thread, as I somehow overlooked it in favor of it's negative sibling.[huh]

This afternoon I got a compliment from an older gentleman who works at the Chick-Fil-A around the corner.

After placing my order, I stepped back to give the crowd who hadn't ordered a chance to get up to the register. As I stood there, next to the trash bin, he came up and gave me what was at first a puzzled look aimed at my Federation, then his eyes went wide and he said. "INDIANA JONES!" then proceeded to compliment me on the hat, and we chatted about his 49 yr old son who owns an 80's Stetson Indy and a fairly large Star Trek collection.

As we parted ways, he once again complimented me on my hat. That Chick-Fil-A is good for at least one compliment on each visit. :p

Randy

Papa Smurf

Familiar Face
A couple weeks ago I was in Safeway wearing slacks, wingtips, a polo shirt, my peacoat, and a gray Knox. A woman came up to me and said "I love the spiffy dapper!"

Other than that I usually get "cool hat" or "I like your hat" with the occasional " your hat reminds me of Indiana Jones" comment.

NeilA

Familiar Face
Papa Smurf said:
A couple weeks ago I was in Safeway wearing slacks, wingtips, a polo shirt, my peacoat, and a gray Knox. A woman came up to me and said "I love the spiffy dapper!"

Other than that I usually get "cool hat" or "I like your hat" with the occasional " your hat reminds me of Indiana Jones" comment.

I'm not full up on the slang, but I dont think "spiffy dapper" can be a thing. Maybe a state of being, but I'm sure it was still a compliment none the less.:p

Also, yesterday I was visiting my old Boy Scout troop. I walked in with some slacks and a sweater with my fedora. One of the leaders said that I "looked like I owned the place in that hat". I thanked him and told him he could stay. :D

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
It always feels good to get compliments. I was at the grocery store yesterday (I had on my grey Camptown/Penman Fellow Traveler) and one of our locals that I see around town all the time paid me a kind compliment. He said, "I love that hat! Is that a fedora?" to which I said thank you and yes. Then he said, "Well, that hat is really you." He said it all with great sincerity.
I've seen him around for years and he had a semi-vintage western look to his dressing style. He's a bit on the large side so I've alway seen him in the old high back style of Levi's with suspenders, a button up shirt buttoned to the collar & the greatest pair of Windsor glasses I've seen in this area. He's one of those genuine folks around here who says what he means and means what he says. So a compliment from him made my day.

Cheers!

Dan

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Usually, I do take the Indiana Jones comments as compliments. I mean, what's not to like about the character, and let's face it, I wear a brown Federation IV with a near-identical bash to that of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (I sort of gave up on the Raider bash, as I feel I it did not fit me as comfortably as the current). One of my siblings even hums the theme song when I put it on, sometimes. But once, at church (after, and outside, mind you), I wore the Fed IV, and a gentleman approached me saying something to the effect of "Nice fedora!" An Indiana Jones reference was not apparent, so he knew what type of hat it was in reality, and it was a straight out compliment. I actually got a similar compliment once at Disneyland while wearing a dark grey wool c-crown Jaxon fedora too.

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
I was at the drive thru at In-n-out a few days ago wearing my Royal Stetson sitting at the window waiting for my order. One of the workers who didnt have anything to do with my order saw me through the window and came over to say she liked my hat. I dont like In-n-out burger (secret menu???) but that comment made me want to go back.

JimWagner

Practically Family
Really nice fur felt hats are fairly rare around here and I almost always attract good comments when I'm wearing one. Most are simply "Nice hat" or "I really like that hat". My Akubra Coolabah almost always draws positive comments when I'm out and about from perfect strangers. I get asked on a regular basis where I got it. Same with my Stylemaster.

A few years back a lady I worked with told me I looked very natty in my suit and panama. I have to admit that I had to look up "natty" to be sure it was a compliment.

KY_RudeBoy

Familiar Face
I was at the liquor store a couple weeks ago wearing my Jaxon diamond crown with the brim turned up. I was standing back in front of the freight elevator so I could take in the giant wall of craft beer. I heard the doors to the elevator open so I stepped out of the way and an employee bolted out carrying a case of beer on each shoulder. He whisked past me but then stopped so abruptly that I thought I had been in the way. He spun around and said, "VERY nice hat", and off he went before I could say much of a thank you. It made my day.

jwalls

Vendor
I was sitting in the food court at a local mall last weekend waiting for my wife, when a toddler walked up and ask 'Are you a cowboy?'. I was wearing mink brown fedora, leather vest, jeans and boots. Before I could answer his mother rushed from crowd, grabbed him up, and turned to go. Then she stopped turned again and said, ' What a beautiful hat.'. It's always nice to hear a pleasing response from an attractive young lady!

Lokar

A-List Customer
While waiting for my wife, an elderly lady told me that I looked so elegant, listing what she thought looked nice: my hat (black high crown fedora), black overcoat, scarf tied up, and thin leather gloves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy