Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ones that got away

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It was an interesting pattern, not really my style, but I would have gotten it for its collectible value, which Im sure it is.

Id never seen green pattern pieces before, or a 'Style Pattern'. The seller covered (on purpose) the pattern pieces diagram on the back of the pattern envelope, so you couldnt see how the top fits together! The tool. :rage:

Does anyone have any history info on that pattern/company? Id be very interested.

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
They pop up every now and again, but you really don't see them barely ever. I don't have any. I just looked through an old out of print book I have and they're not listed in there, either. When I see them they're usually mid 30s and pretty high fashion. Possibly they copied the colored paper from Vogue, who I believe did slightly colored paper in their higher end patterns (I know some Couturier patterns I have from the late 30s-50s have grayish green paper).
Really neat, and I bet it would be gorgeous made up in velvet and satin. Whoever got it sure is lucky!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I've just realised I don't think I've ever seen a 30s Style pattern, but I have a 40s one for beachwear, somewhere.

I used to really like Style before they stopped 'making' patterns (late 90s, I think). They always went together nicely.

zendy

A-List Customer
I'm sorry, but regardless how collectible that pattern may have been, I can't see paying that much for a pattern unless it is going to make the dress for me, and maybe cook me dinner.

Lauren

Wow. That's all kinds of fabulous. Super expensive. It either probably went to a fashion designer or someone with a large shopping budget...

Miss Sis, you're right! I totally forgot about that pattern company! I didn't realize they had been around that long!

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Why, WHY did this pattern sell for over $190!?

1930s SIMPLICITY NRA PATTERN 36

LD

I have no idea, but I clicked on the winning bidder's history and they are pretty active - maybe a vendor.

Another example of crazy final bid prices: I seriously considered bidding on an autographed photo of Warren William - my favorite pre-code actor. While I was giddy with the thought of watching his movies while having his autographed pic in my hand, I watched the bidding go up and up - astronomically, as far as I was concerned - and finally top out at $366. http://cgi.ebay.com/Warren-William-Signed-8x10-Photo-Movie-Actor_W0QQitemZ370229779162QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item56336a1ada&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yeah, I looked at the winning bidder too, and the 4th bidder who made the leap to $180. But I dont get it. Its not a 'designer' pattern, no special markings that I can see other than the NRA logo, which is fairly common. Its a simple dress. Ive seen other patterns like it go for less than $20. I just cant wrap my head around it.

Perhaps Im not meant to...it may have just been one of those moon alinement things. Yeah, thats it. :rolleyes:

LD

Shirin

A-List Customer
Yeah I was watching that pattern too. I guess if I was a costume/fashion designer I would pay that much, if it was absolutely what I needed for a client or something. But for myself, for everyday sewing, ummm.....no.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
!BWjoEKQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjYEjlLmS1ctBK(9uCO5c!~~_3.JPG
!BWjlvWwBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjEEjlLmZ(ZQBK(9jlEGRg~~_3.JPG

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
It was an interesting pattern, not really my style, but I would have gotten it for its collectible value, which Im sure it is.

Id never seen green pattern pieces before, or a 'Style Pattern'. The seller covered (on purpose) the pattern pieces diagram on the back of the pattern envelope, so you couldnt see how the top fits together! The tool. :rage:

Does anyone have any history info on that pattern/company? Id be very interested.

LD

:eek:fftopic: So, tell me, there are at least two patterns listed on this page alone in which the seller blocked out the pattern pieces from the back of the package.

What are your thoughts on sellers doing this if you are a buyer interested in the pattern? Can you create a pattern from looking at the back pieces of the package? Do tell!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I personally think its rude. Its not a picture that you can pull from online and print and frame, you dont need a water mark on the back of a pattern envelope. Its give a sense of distrust to whom ever you are trying to sell the pattern to. I think that is a crass way to begin a buyer/seller relationship.

Frankly, if someone is savvy enough to copy a dress from a picture, that sure as heck isnt going to stop them.

LD

Lauren

I do admit that there was recently a negligee pattern on ebay that went for over $200, and I had my husband save and print out pics of the front and back of the envelope. :eek: Sure, I could make it from the picture but having the layout makes is a lot easier to copy. I actually was going to do that with the other linked pattern, too, and realized they blocked it out. Smarty pants seller. lol

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I've saved a pic with the pieces for a simple dress that the actual pattern was too big for me. I reckon I could toile it up between that and the pic on the front without too much trouble.

It's a nice enough dress, but I do think that's a pretty crazy price. I certainly wouldn't (and couldn't) pay that sort of money just for a pattern.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
What are your thoughts on sellers doing this if you are a buyer interested in the pattern? Can you create a pattern from looking at the back pieces of the package? Do tell!

I'm with Lady Day - I think it's rude. If I'm going to buy a pattern, I want to see how it goes together. Frequently, the appeal of a pattern lies in a tiny difference in flare, grainline, or shaping. I need to know what I'm buying; the sketch doesn't always tell the whole story. You're shooting yourself in the foot, IMHO, by not letting potential buyers see the pieces.

Of course, if you can make a pattern by looking at the pieces, you can probably make a reasonable facsimile by looking at the sketch. That's what patternmakers *do*for a living, after all!

I certainly can't make a pattern just by looking at the pieces, but it at least gives you an idea of what you're aiming for. I'll confess to having saved dozens (if not many more...) of pictures of pattern backs. Not necessarily to copy, but for general reference and inspiration, and to get an idea of how vintage things went together. I'm simply not going to buy those same 100 patterns, especially if they're not in my size! But they're neat to look at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy