Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Justdog

Practically Family
OR

Pilgrim said:
If I had a Stetson 100, I sure wouldn't worry about whether it was an Open Road or not. Those 100s are the cream of the Stetson line...that's an absolutely superb hat! :eusa_clap
Nope not worried about that as I have enough ORs, not sure I really mean that or that enough means anything here:) That was in response to someone mentioning that it was not OR , I just love the hat. One thing my hatter told me to watch for yesterday and for online folks. The majority probably know anyway. The question might be asked along with mothbites stains and such. How is the condition of the liner attached to the hat felt? As my hatter was assessing several hats I brought in for blocking he looked at the one I was wearing and could see a bit of seperation of the threads from the liner and hat body. Just a condition do to age but significant for auctioning.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Don't hate me!

This hat was described on Ebay as a Stetson Royal DeLuxe. Looking closely at the pics I saw the two magic words "Open Road" on the sweat band. I couldn't believe nobody else on the planet noticed this. Anyway, I got it for $27, plus $6 shipping. Do you think I maybe got a little lucky? Don't hate me! (He said, gloating nauseatingly). It's a long oval, and I'm not. The result is that the brim needs a little careful tweaking or else it tends to twist somewhat oddly. But I'm very pleased to join the other members of the Guild, including former presidents Truman, Eisenhower and Johnson.
OpenRoad.jpg

RBH

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
This hat was described on Ebay as a Stetson Royal DeLuxe. Looking closely at the pics I saw the two magic words "Open Road" on the sweat band. I couldn't believe nobody else on the planet noticed this. Anyway, I got it for $27, plus $6 shipping. Do you think I maybe got a little lucky? Don't hate me! (He said, gloating nauseatingly). It's a long oval, and I'm not. The result is that the brim needs a little careful tweaking or else it tends to twist somewhat oddly. But I'm very pleased to join the other members of the Guild, including former presidents Truman, Eisenhower and Johnson.
OpenRoad.jpg
I like it!!!
But to just clear the air... what size was it??? :D

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I played around with it, and it told me it was happy this way. Now I have to figure out a whole new persona to go along with the hat. A mix of all the aforementioned presidents, plus maybe a little Sky King. Yeah, that's a start.
Did Rock Hudson wear an Open Road in Giant? Maybe a little Texas oil baron as well.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Whoa Nelly!

dhermann1 said:
I played around with it, and it told me it was happy this way. Now I have to figure out a whole new persona to go along with the hat. A mix of all the aforementioned presidents, plus maybe a little Sky King. Yeah, that's a start.
Did Rock Hudson wear an Open Road in Giant? Maybe a little Texas oil baron as well.

You do know that oil gives you gas? Right?

Justdog

Practically Family
Deluxe

dhermann1 said:

Sweet, nice ribbon. I got a deluxe with a cattleman crease and it smelt real nasty, hard as a walnut. Hatter turned it into a soft sweet hat. Looks like yours has a snap brim.:)

Justdog

Practically Family
Versatile

epic610 said:
in my mind the perfect way to wear the "open road"

Thats why I like the OR It can be worn many styles. I do like the western look and somewhat formal style of the stiffer cattleman crease sometimes.
Gives me the excuse to buy more ORs :)

Justdog

Practically Family
Clone discussion

GoneSolo said:
I removed it from here because I meant to post in the "Brotherhood" thread. It is technically not an Open Road, but similar.
Yes there is a thread on that very topic.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Interesting but...

Hello Daoud, You may be unaware of this but we are not suppposed to post any live ebay auctions in the FL threads. Only closed auctions may be posted. FYI.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yes, a great foe paw, but what a cool item! It's the kind of thing you expect to find on Antiques Road Show in about ten or fifteen years, with a huge price attached.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Hello Daoud, You may be unaware of this but we are not suppposed to post any live ebay auctions in the FL threads. Only closed auctions may be posted. FYI.
JEEZE LOUISE! a foe paw indeed! I am so sorry- I did read all the usage rules when I first applied and I just spaced it out- but that's no excuse. I deleted it, and it won't happen again. I am ate up with mortification!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass