Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Pacific" - can it possibly live up to expectations?

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
Viola! That is exactly the photo I was referring to. The scene from that episode is what triggered the memory-----and I think, was no accident. Very powerful.

Well done.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Notice in the picture that not one of those 3 are looking or even caring about the photographer. The gent in the back has that 1000 yard stare. To think what they endured. Only the young....

vinspired

Familiar Face
The Pacific starts tonight here in Syndey, Australia.
They have been plugging it like mad here, I dread the amount of ads that will be played during the breaks.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
GallatinHatMan said:
There was an earlier comment here about the ill -fitting uniforms depicted in Australia. What needs to be remembered is that these already lean Marines who survived Guadalcanal lost an average of almost 20 pounds. I found the ill-fitting uniforms to be true to the history.

I thought the wool uniforms were very badly fitting as well, surely they couldn't have been designed like that? They look like sacks of spuds tied in the middle...
Anyway did some digging to satisfy my curiosity and found a couple of images here that show exactly that! Long sleeves, collars to big, low waists... I'm guessing this is Australian made War Aid uniform?

4342362050_11f5e5b22d.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29847302@N05/sets/72157623258871155/

http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/Whatson/overhere/Pages/Imagecollection.aspx

http://www.history.unimelb.edu.au/overhere/indexmain.html

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
Presto!
This is exactly why one must keep his assessment separate from BoB.....and more importantly, see the series through before saying one doesn't like it.

It's not the same for many reasons.....in fact, nothing was the same.
I could go on historically about how the concentration was the ETO, hence resupply and availability were far different and more plentiful, than the Pacific which was not only less glamorous, but under reported, to say nothing of the fact that no one even knew the geography and where they even were. Everyone knew Europe.
The Pacific was a logistical nightmare, and as was typical, the Marine Corps sucked hind tit. Smallest branch of the Armed Forces----hated by the Army brass which ruled the Joint Services, in fact Truman attempted to eliminate them. You didn't hear of too many doggies going to Europe without an M1 in their hand nor a full ration bag. Not so in the Pacific where the Japanese Navy ruled The Strait and where resupply was extremely difficult in the early part of the Pacific Campaign.
Marines suffered intensely, were under supplied, went without the most basic of supplies, suffered malaria, yet carried on and did what they were tasked to do while fighting a far different adversary which did not honor the Geneva Convention.
Another thing worth mentioning is that the Marine Corps were also issued at one point, uniforms made in Australia, though I don't have in front of me to whom and how many. Keep in mind also, that the reason some of those uniforms were ill fitting was due to being so gaunt from service.

But lots of those questions and others can be answered by stopping by for a visit at the website I provided.
Good hunting..

WinoJunko

One of the Regulars
I gotta say that I'm really enjoying The Pacific. Maybe I'm a little biased seeing as my Grandpa was in the 4th Marine Division during World War ll but I'm glad to see that the focus is on this theatre of war which is often overlooked. Its not like Band Of Brothers and its not supposed to be like it. As others have said here, the war in the Pacific was a different type of war and the points of view its being told from are different as well.

I think that so far part 6 is the most powerful episode of the series. That run across the airfield was horrifying and brutal! It shows just how awful war truly is and how every single Marine, Soldier, Sailor, and Airman who was there is a hero. I'm looking forward to part 7

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Which one? The one that went berserk and threatened the whole platoon or the one who was moving outside his foxhole at night without singing out? With the reputation, based upon actual experience of Japanese infiltrators seeking into Marine positions at night, friendly fire incidents were fairly common. As tragic as they are, I don't know of any way they could have been avoided.

Doublegun

Practically Family
GallatinHatMan said:
Which one? The one that went berserk and threatened the whole platoon or the one who was moving outside his foxhole at night without singing out? With the reputation, based upon actual experience of Japanese infiltrators seeking into Marine positions at night, friendly fire incidents were fairly common. As tragic as they are, I don't know of any way they could have been avoided.

I believe he was referring to the scene when they killed the Marine by hitting with a shovel in order to quiet him down. I have little doubt that actually happened. Why include it? It's a pretty graphic way to show how much pressure the Marines were under and how close the Japanese solders were to the the Marines location.

Episode seven was excellent, I think the best one so far.

Norumbega

One of the Regulars
Agreed. Very powerful.
Interesting scene between Sledge and Snafu in Episode 7, as Sledge contemplated those gold teeth. It was as if Snafu saw a goodness and the last vestige of something good and decent on the battlefield in Sledge that he didn't want sullied.........

plain old dave

A-List Customer
Been off a while, but I'm back... Really enjoying The Pacific; read With The Old Breed as a History major undergrad at UTK, and they have done pretty fair by Sledge. I must say, though, that it was hard to watch when they brought Ack Ack back down the hill. Reminded me of when they brought what was left of a fellow I served with on the Theodore Roosevelt up out of the weapons elevator he was grievously wounded in. Intense.

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
That was a very touching scene. To have the battle hardened troops come to attention and salute is a real tribute to Ack Ack's leadership. My father never talked about his service until dementia set in and he started talking about the snipers and the infiltrators. I'm impressed by the "ring of truth" in the series.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Norumbega said:
Agreed. Very powerful.
Interesting scene between Sledge and Snafu in Episode 7, as Sledge contemplated those gold teeth. It was as if Snafu saw a goodness and the last vestige of something good and decent on the battlefield in Sledge that he didn't want sullied.........
I really like the character of Snafu. His crazy look and unpredictability make me look foward to what he'll do next. The scene last night was great.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Last night I went to the HBO website for The Pacific and spent an hour or so digging around there. It was time well spent and provided more historical context for the series. I recommend any of you who are interested in the series and/or the history do so. Lots of actual footage, analysis by historians...it's all good. Here is the link:

http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ