Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Palm Beach suit thread

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I have a cream double breasted palm beach jacket from the '30s which I won last year. It's a shame that it's not a full suit but can anyone provide inspiration on possible trouser-shirt-tie combinations?

Feraud

Bartender
I find a cream jacket is a great base with almost limitless possibilities! Grey or navy flannel trousers, a white or pastel color shirt (possibly with a club collar), a bowtie, or a knit tie should look great.
Basically almost any trouser color without trying to match the jacket should work.
Check the stickies, there are summertime references that will inspire you.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
For some reason I can't see flannel, maybe it's a seasonal thing. For PB jacket I think summer so I'd go with linen or cotton trousers, in pastels especially.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I agree, flannel seems too warm for summer.

Grey or white trousers in a lighter wool or linen sounds good though. Any other trouser colours that would work with the cream jacket?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I like the idea of heavy brown or green linen, or heavy cotton. I know green doesn't tend to be that popular, but i rather like it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Greys in tropical wool for a dressier look.....

htwp_R_16d2b53e.jpg

Colorful pastels for a casual look.....
cbpl_R_18d48ff0.jpg

White bucks with either look.....

8747_R.jpg

632~3_S_173c17a8.jpg

SteveAS

Practically Family
I have a dilemma similar to avedwards's. I have a light cream, single-breasted, shawl collar PB jacket. My first thought is to copy Bogart's Casablanca look, but I have two things on which I'd appreciate Loungers' input:
1. Is PB cloth too casual (I don't think so, but I'd appreciate input)?
2. Of greater interest, what other combinations might work with this jacket?

For reference, here's Mr. Bogart:

Claude-Raines-Paul-Henreid-Ingrid-Bergman-Humphrey-Bogart.jpg

I have a dilemma similar to avedwards's. I have a light cream, single-breasted, shawl collar PB jacket. My first thought is to copy Bogart's Casablanca look, but I have two things on which I'd appreciate Loungers' input:
1. Is PB cloth too casual (I don't think so, but I'd appreciate input)?
2. Of greater interest, what other combinations might work with this jacket?

For reference, here's Mr. Bogart:

Claude-Raines-Paul-Henreid-Ingrid-Bergman-Humphrey-Bogart.jpg
As Bogart is wearing it, it is perfectly fine. You have to remember that Palm Beach produced formal wear like that back then. You can find black Palm Beach pants like that from the era. Even the bowtie could have been a Palm Beach tie. Of course, technically, this is a semi-formal look. Tails is formal dress. :p

kyboots

Practically Family
My first Tux was a beautiful Palm Beach black with SB shawl collar contrast satin. Just like above but in black. I loved that Tux and wore it through out college. It was well made in central Ky. and it held up well; my stone writing tablets did not mark or damage the material at all. Sold it to a vintage kid about 10 years ago. He loves it and still wears it. Bow tie was given to me with the Tux and it was PB.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
As Bogart is wearing it, it is perfectly fine. You have to remember that Palm Beach produced formal wear like that back then. You can find black Palm Beach pants like that from the era. Even the bowtie could have been a Palm Beach tie. Of course, technically, this is a semi-formal look. Tails is formal dress. :p

What a picture! I have never seen it before but Paul Henreid wears a cream DB 30s suit and specs better than I have ever seen it done.

What a picture! I have never seen it before but Paul Henreid wears a cream DB 30s suit and specs better than I have ever seen it done.

Hollywood in the Golden Age not only had classic actors but they had fashion sense that made them look good all the time. I suppose they were into the whole Hollywood fantasy more than we are now. Now we have the Hollywood Nightmares. :p

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
A black Palm Beach suit

I've read through this whole thread and can't quite come to a conclusion about this Palm Beach suit... I know it's a later suit but could it be made of the coveted Palm Beach cloth? Since the union label is sewn on upside-down, I can't tell if there is a registration "R" and don't know if it's a 50's or 60's (or later) suit. It's most certainly a linen/blend-like lightweight cloth. When I hold up an unlined portion to the light, I can see through it. The pants have a metal Conmar zipper. (The suit is in great condition, any spots are from the camera flash.) Opinions, please and thanks!

P1070259.jpg
P1070261.jpg
P1070263.JPG
P1070262.JPG
P1070265.JPG
P1070267.JPG
P1070269.jpg

Editing to add: I just found a 1966 newspaper ad for a boy's suit showing the exact same Palm Beach label. The suit in that ad is described as a "lightweight, season right suit in crease resistant dupioni, rayon, and acetate." Hmmm.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto