Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Palm Beach suit thread

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
PRETTY. Sometimes I wish I were a guy. I LOVE ties and suits. Guess I'll have to be satisfied with dressing up Daniel instead (though he does very well on his own).

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yes, you are right. It is much more fun for me to be a girl :)

Why yes she did, as did Myrna Loy, for a photo or two. I think I'll pull it off sometime, but that would have to be a MIGHTY small man, for me to wear his suit :) Is there such thing as a 32L?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Funny thing about Palm Beach ties...their construction is considered unique to Palm Beach....

Until compared to a WWII U.S. uniform tie. Only difference is material - tropical weight worsted wool as opposed to the Palm Beach linen and angora blend. Guess the QMD liked the simplistic approach and inexpensive production cost!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Historically Palm Beach suits have been some of the more saught after on the vintage scene. I don't have one, though I would love it if I did.

My friend Remmi colects them and hopefully will show some pics of his soon.

Tell us about yours.

IMG_1341-vi.jpg

IMG_1503-vi.jpg

> missing picture of Art <

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
What is the criteria for Palm Beach? The last pic is of Art is actually a cream German suit, not summer weight.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I've always thought Palm Beach cloth an odd thing. It's nothing like the cloths on the market today; it feels slightly rough, but not quite like wool.

We know that it's a wool/linen blend. I think its main selling point was that it wrinkled less than pure cotton or linen, but was more porous and breathable than pure wool. What do you think?

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I'm glad you guys brought this up. I have never own a Palm Beach brand suit until recently. The double breasted one you have posted up there is a generic one that is extremely soft, wheras my Palm Beach almost feels "dried out." I was worried that the material was getting brittle but your straw hat analogy sounds just about right.

Dan

oh and by the way...

artfawcett5fn.jpg

THIS PICTURE OF ART FAWCETT :cool2:

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
sharp!

Anyone make a decent Palm Beach suit now?

And what is that summer linen suit from the 20s?
The one with the knee-length pants. I know we
have discussed those pants here before, but I
can't find the thread and don't remember the name.

Mycroft

One Too Many
feltfan said:
Anyone make a decent Palm Beach suit now?

And what is that summer linen suit from the 20s?
The one with the knee-length pants. I know we
have discussed those pants here before, but I
can't find the thread and don't remember the name.

Along with that are there any makers in Palm Beach itself?

In response to some questions asked earlier ...

No, Palm Beach cloth is no longer used in menswear, and it never was made in Palm Beach. (However, people did wear the warm weather fabric at Palm Beach resorts.)

Yes, "Palm Beach" still exists as a menswear brand. (Go figure.)

No, it does not make decent suits -- according to our standards, anyway.

And although Palm Beach cloth was indeed washable, so was (and is) linen and seersucker. Washable summer suits were nothing new when Palm Beach cloth came along.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
One of the things they did back then to make the linen more durrable and washable was wash the fabric before it was turned into a suit. Nowadays they just take the loomed fabric and make the clothes which if you try to wash turns into a disaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk