Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Passing of a Master Hatmaker

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
I don't know if Kevin O'Farrell got much ink in this forum. He was much more of a Western hatmaker, although he made hats in a variety of styles. He passed away this last September at age 57. I have great memories of visiting his shop in Durango, Colorado every year and admiring his work. Over the years I was able to acquire 3 of his hats: a "cowboy classic" which they rebashed into a style they call "the kid"; a custom-made "Aussie" in moss green; and a "vintage" dress weight cowboy had in the style of the "Gus".

When I decided it was time to start wearing hats more regularly (protection from the elements, cancer prevention...) my first stop was the O'Farrell Hats website, which to my dismay was no longer active. I have ended up with, uh, I'm embarrassed to admit, 10 fedoras over the past 3 months (a "Cliffhanger" from Baron's, the first, before I had found anyone else; an Adventurebilt in black, scheduled to be here in about a month; and Adventurebilt Deluxe "Aviator" that arrived last week (and may I say is sensational); 2 Stratoliners, a Stetson Whippet, a Stetson 100, and 3 Borsalinos, all from e-bay. But I kept searching to find what happened to my favorite O'Farrell Hat store. Sadly, now I know.

Farewell to one of the great custom Hatmakers.

RC

Hamandbacon

New in Town
Sad News

RC,

Sorry to hear the news! It sounds like you have lots of good memories; and an appreciation for his gift of hat making. I have been through a similar experience where I had suspected a fountain pen restorer of closing-up shop, later to find he had died, too.

Jeff G.

Mark G

A-List Customer
Kevin sold the business to the Glenn family in 1992, and I believe I saw an ad for him making hats in New Mexico, but I'm not sure. They were very fine hats indeed. I had heard that they had spread themselves to thin with sportswear, but again, the news is second hand. Sorry to hear about Kevin's passing

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rcinlv said:
I was able to acquire 3 of his hats: a "cowboy classic" which they rebashed into a style they call "the kid"; a custom-made "Aussie" in moss green; and a "vintage" dress weight cowboy had in the style of the "Gus".

Hey RC,

Any chance you'd post pictures of the hats?

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Posting pictures

Feltfan:

I have the digital camera, but I haven't yet figured out how to get them to the net so that I can post them here. As soon as I work that out I will post pictures.

RC

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I was in the O'Farell hat shop in Santa Fe NM a few years ago . They did nice work and were somewhat friedly to me . It's sad to see another hatter pass on .

Steven

Use photbucket

rcinlv said:
I have the digital camera, but I haven't yet figured out how to get them to the net so that I can post them here. As soon as I work that out I will post pictures. RC
****:eek:fftopic:
Search for photobucket,
set up an account
then set up an "album"
hit browse, that will open your photos
select a photo hit open and then upload at the photobucket album.
once uploaded you can click on img click copy
go to the thread you are posting in,
hit paste and it will put the image there.
Ta-dah!
Of course the photos need to have been downloaded from the camera into "your pictures" file in your computer.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
OK, finally, here are...

Some photos of My O'Farrell Hats:
The Kid:
DSCN0917.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

DSCN0919.jpg

The Aussie:

DSCN0928.jpg

DSCN0930.jpg

DSCN0931.jpg

The Gus:

DSCN0936.jpg

DSCN0937.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks RC

Those are very nice hats.
There's something very pleasant or quality about them.
And they are old fashioned without being
strict reproductions.

Sorry I never had a chance to
visit the store when he was there.

BladeRunner

New in Town
Kevin O'farrell

As Mark G. has pointed out, Kevin sold his "name" to the Glenns in Durango, where they continued to make some fine hats -- though some were a little flashy with colorful beads woven into the brim edges that matched beaded bands. Nice for the Dwight Yoakum types (who, by the way, does/did wear these hats sold by Billy Martin's stores in Bevery Hills and NYC).

Anyway, as has also been noted, Kevin set up shop again off the plaza in Santa Fe, and continued making hats by hand. Bottom line, he will be missed, and I do not know what the eventual outcome will be, but I called last week and his son is now running the business.

Jewel

New in Town
Kevin sold his Durango business and started anew in Santa Fe, NM. He worked out of his Canyon Road shop for many years and then moved downtown on the Plaza. After he died, his son moved to Santa Fe, took over the business and O'Farrell Hats is still going strong. Russell, Kevin's assistant still works there, so there is someone working there who was trained by Kevin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21