Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The people I've met from the Lounge.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, today I met another person from the Lounge, and it has caused me to look back on all the people I've personally met from the Lounge, and all the people I've met only online from this place, and I have to say, I'm pretty damned impressed.

Today I met someone from the Lounge I never met in person before and talked to her for several hours. And I found, as I have always done on the occasions I've sat down and talked to anyone from this place, a smart, interesting person with fine manners, very polite, funny, charming, and gifted at making a stranger feel at ease.

This has happened to me every single time I've met one of you all. And I have to say, I feel pretty special to have the opportunity to do this.

The first person I met from the Lounge was MK, up in Portland. The soul of graciousness, a fine conversationalist, genuinely interested in meeting a newcomer to the Lounge, willing to answer my wife's questions, completely unconcerned as to whether she was a card-carrying "vintage" person or not, interested in both of us as people. Cacklewack and Travis, whom alas I have not seen since that fine evening at MacMenamin's dome-top theater in Portland were the same way and so was Brooksie whom I am happy to say I have met and palled around with a few times since then.

I then met a whole slew of you in Walnut Creek in a place called Bing's. In that place Matt Deckard happened to be seated next to me and amused myself and my wife for hours with his wit, and I formed lasting friendships with FedoraGent and Lady Day, with whom I speak fairly regularly even though they both moved to LA. I also met Magneto, a delightful wry person, and The Wolf and many others.

FedoraGent, before he moved to LA, was kind enough to invite me to many outings, to most of which I came. I met Sefton at one of these outings, a fine fellow I've seen once since then.

On subsequent trips up to Portland I met Chucklehead, pdxvintagette, anon', Miss Melly, and even Reetpleat who took a train from Seattle to Portland just to hang out with us. Marvelous. With all these persons I have discussed many things, from vintage (obviously) to domestic politics to plants to foreign affairs to ancient history to academia, and none have failed to be polite, interesting, and interested in what others have to say. On my last trip I met Zaika as well, a delightful person telling me fascinating stories about her stay in Russia.

Here in the Bay Area I have met jamespowers and Lincsong and Miss1929, marvelous drinking companions, fine conversationalists, and solid people; I've seen Miss1929 a few times since then and she has shown herself to be one of the most gracious and knowledgeable folks I've ever met. Once with her I saw Sefton again and met Neecerie, who had come up from LA, a delightful evening of conversation and music while we watched Lavey Smith sing and Miss1929 sing as well.

I also met, in the Bay Area, Wingnut, the soul of old-fashioned grace, and excellent military manners, willing to discuss airplanes with me although I knew very little about the topic. We met at the Presidio Club in SF, at Julia Morgan House in Berkeley, and again at the Gatsby picnic in Oakland, the latter two occasions in which I also met Miss 1940s but we didn't have a chance to converse.

Miss1929 was gracious enough to not only invite me and my wife and daughter to the Gatsby Picnic, but to have us at the table she and her husband set up, and even to lend my wife suitable clothing for the event. Absolute magic, seeing some 600 people dressed 1920s/1930s, dancing to the Royal Society Jazz Orchestra.

And this afternoon I meet Bella Hell, and have hours of fascinating conversation with her on issues political, gustatory, family-historical, religious, and everything else in between. Very impressive intellect, a marvelous table companion, a delightful wit ... again. These qualities seem to be a theme I encounter whenever I meet all of you.

These are the people I have met in person and actually spoken with. I've met others but not had a chance to talk much; those will have to wait for future occasions. Even the people I've only interacted with on line have impressed me, especially those with whom I have had disagreements whose bases have (in all honesty) vanished into thin air, such has been their graciousness afterward: Carter, the long-departed Jovan, Spitfire, and many (many) others. Each has impressed me with their ability to look at what we had in common rather than what we did not. Jamespowers, whom I admire as a person yet with whom I have little in common politically, was able to drop politics when it seemed we'd never agree on anything, and no hard feelings. We'll talk more about tomatoes, Plato, and many other very interesting things we've touched on in the past.

Well, this is a toast to all of you. I first stumbled onto the Lounge in January of 2007 looking for the best wingtips to buy and was amazed to find so many people who loved so many of the things that I love, in even more detail than I knew. The conversations I have had with all of you online and off, and the times I have met so many of you in person have made my 2007 and 2008 a lot more delightful than they otherwise would have been.

Cheers to the Lounge and the wonderful people on it.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I feel inadequate to add to your thoughtful words, but I want to say how much I am looking forward to meeting many of the forum members next month at the Queen Mary. None more so that John in Covina, whose invitation to his home I accepted and then was forced to bow out of. It is very rare that I have the opportunity to meet online friends in person. What a pleasure it shall be, I'm sure.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Doran, What a generous and thoughtful message, my friend. You are a gentleman and a scholar in the finest sense. I hope that we have the opportunity to meet in person somewhere down the road. Cheers, Carter :cheers1:

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I have met very few loungers but, I have found the ones that I have met are wonderful people. Like Doran I joined to gain more konowledge about the golden era. I met BegintheBeguine and what a wonderful person she is! I'm hoping we have another chance to meet up again. Most of the loungers I already knew personally before I joined including KilroyCD, Teekay44, MPichito(spelling?),PoilceInspector,Mr.KLBowers and there are a few more. I recently met JedbourgOSS(sorry if I spelled it wrong) a few weeks ago, what a wonderful person! I hope to meet more loungers in the future. So Thanks for being such a wonderful group of people!

Samantha

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I've met very few Loungers in person, but I've entrusted two Loungers with serious responsibilities. Joie DeVive and her husband are my dog's "godparents" (dogparents?). They'll give her a loving home if the gods call me early. Lizziemaine is my backup in case I can't take care of my clients.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Last year...

I was blessed to be able to go to Long Beach to the Queen Mary FL event and meet with a number of Lounge Members. I cannot speak 'highly' enough of the individuals whom I met in LA, NYC and Boston. They are a credit to themselves and to this forum.

Also, at the London Dinners over the past few years, once again it showed that it is the calibre of our members that makes 'this place' such a unique site. I feel very priviledged to be a part of this unique gathering from across the globe.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
~

I read this thread earlier and I have been thinking about all the FLers I have met. The list is quite impressive to me, though shorter than others. After the first Seattle event in 2006 I was thrilled there were like minded vintage people about. After that, I made trips to Portland, New York and QM 07, then mix in all the other Seattle get togethers and my list is up to over 40 loungers.
The last event, with my favorite lounger Scotrace was the best. ;)

I too, am so looking forward to QM 08 :)

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Since, I'm new and have only gone to 2 fedora outings I still feel awkward and insecure around y'all.

I don't know why but everytime I get to be my usual rambunctious, loud self, I suddent feel innocuous and self-conscious and then I randomly turn back into either a book mouse... Or a pumpkin.

You all were very nice to me though.. I have to say...:eek:

*Sigh* Oh well...[huh]

Dr Doran

And I even forgot .... MetroPD, who was up in the area and with whom I had burgers and brewskies at a local Berkeley joint, Raleighs, and many, many hours of fine conversation, who turned out to be an expert on old-school rap. Who'd have thunk it? The range of skills, areas of knowledge, and talents this group has is just extraordinary.

This isn't even to mention the fine email exchanges I've had with Diamondback! And the list does go on ... I'm forgetting a few, and I'll remember them at some point!

Cheers to you all! A great bunch.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
If John in Covina is anything like his posts, you will have a great time meeting him!

John in Covina is everything you see in his posts, and much more. He's a gracious host who is generous with food and drink, time, hospitality, conversation and wit. You will truly enjoy meeting him.

I've lost count of all the Loungers I've met - the Griffith Park Picnic upping that number by about thirty - and I have felt nothing but friendship and belonging everytime I've met any of you. I've made at least three solid friendships since joining the Lounge, with many more in the making.

It is my pleasure and feel it is an enormous honor anytime I meet a fellow Lounger.

dahlia: Just continue being yourself. We love you just as you are. :)

Lee

Dr Doran

Lincsong said:
That's the Big Smoke Weekend in Las Vegas. Actually Tuesday Nov 11 is a non-work day Holiday for my company. So anything after the 8th would work. Perhaps I could drag along Powers.

That would be marvelous.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Meeting FL members is great!

I met and went out with two lovely newer members of the Lounge just today; Superkawaiimama and Lelaviavonie. Lovely gals :D We chatted about all types of stuff, and all things vintage as we wondered around Hollywood looking at all the stuff and having lunch. It was fun :)

Thanks ladies,

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner