Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The perfect movie

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
I've never seen it -so I probably shouldn't comment - but I will say that I have always felt that The Razor's Edge comes pretty close to perfection in the 'evocaation of time and place stakes'.

Steve

Practically Family
I'm a big fan of The Third Man as well. When I took Photo I in school, I based my final project on Robert Krasker's cinematography.

I get much the same feeling of "perfect film" when I watch Casablanca, Murder on the Orient Express, or The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp; they all had fantastically filmed narratives. More recent films such as Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World also resonates with me as a perfectly-executed story.

filfoster

One Too Many
The Third Man

Selvaggio said:
I've never seen it -so I probably shouldn't comment - but I will say that I have always felt that The Razor's Edge comes pretty close to perfection in the 'evocaation of time and place stakes'.
Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten, Trevor Howard, Valli: What a wonderful cast: and the time and place:noir to the highest power. You must see it. Loungers who have seen it: Pease post.

Feraud

Bartender
The Third Man is an excellent picture. Perfect casting, directing, music, location, story, etc.

You Third Man/Carol Reed fans should also see The Man Between starring James Mason. The location work ( Berlin, 8 years after WWII) is fascinating.

filfoster

One Too Many
The Man Between

Feraud said:
The Third Man is an excellent picture. Perfect casting, directing, music, location, story, etc.

You Third Man/Carol Reed fans should also see The Man Between starring James Mason. The location work ( Berlin, 8 years after WWII) is fascinating.
Feraud: Thanks for the tip. I am distressed that it isn't available in Region 1 DVD format. Yet.

Marjorian

New in Town
I'd suggest VERTIGO for the perfect movie. It's wonderfully filmed and wonderfully told, pure magic from one of the greatest men ever to make films.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Rear Window.

No great leaps of logic or suspension of disbelief required.
The snappy dialogue actually makes sense.
Likable, believable main characters we're afraid for.
Humor breaks the tension.
Grace Kelly in beautiful vintage dresses.

I can't say more without spoiling the movie for those who haven't seen it.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I recently saw "The Third Man" for the first time, I enjoyed it very much and was struck by many aspects of the film. The music was unique and added much to the movie.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen it several times, and I own a copy on DVD in my film noir collection. The thing toward the end where Orson Wells is looking out at the crowd and explaining his sick moral philosophy to Joseph Cotton is very disturbing. The moment wherein Orson Wells first appears is marvelous. The very beginning credits with the closeup of the zither being played is wonderful too. Perhaps I shall watch it again today.

As far as perfect films go, I offer Double Indemnity.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The Third Man is one of the first movies I ever remember seeing in a theater as a child. Definitely the recommended environment. I agree with all the favorable comments made so far. Plus, can you think about this movie without thinking about that haunting theme, played on the zither? Festive, sad, ironic, mysterious, all at the same time.

filfoster

One Too Many
The Third Man

dhermann1 said:
The Third Man is one of the first movies I ever remember seeing in a theater as a child. Definitely the recommended environment. I agree with all the favorable comments made so far. Plus, can you think about this movie without thinking about that haunting theme, played on the zither? Festive, sad, ironic, mysterious, all at the same time.

That zither music is perfect, indeed. I have the book about the making of the movie, In Search of The Third Man by Charles Drazin. Many of us Yanks think it's an American movie because of all the US stars in it but it was Michael Korda and Caroll Reed's movie. Anyway, I shall have to look at the book again for the story of the music. As I recall, it was accidental. I think Karas was playing at a reception for the production crew or cast. That is some small hope,for us agnotics, for a Higher Power at work in the world.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I was recommended it by a friend of my mother's about a year ago, as she commented on my style reminding her of that film. I borrowed it from the library and enjoyed it. The zither score is my favourite film music. The plot is good, and I like the images of the Cold War it shows - considering the Cold War was only starting and how well the film shows it, The Third Man is definitely ahead of its time. However, I found the final scene a tiny bit disappointing (where Cotton is standing at the roadside waiting).

My favourite mystery film from that time is The Scarlet Claw though. Nothing can beat a Sherlock Holmes B-movie made in three weeks which doesn't even fit in with Doyle's chronology. ;)

simmonsgc

Familiar Face
OK

OK, I checked out The Third Man DVD from our library's collection to watch as soon as I have time. Sounds great, given the recommendations. That being said, I agree with the Hitchcock fans who mentioned Rear Window, and Vertigo.

Pssst, I'd like to add one more, not to threadjack, but: North by Northwest.

Cheers,
GC

Feraud

Bartender
filfoster said:
That zither music is perfect, indeed. I have the book about the making of the movie, In Search of The Third Man by Charles Drazin. Many of us Yanks think it's an American movie because of all the US stars in it but it was Michael Korda and Caroll Reed's movie. Anyway, I shall have to look at the book again for the story of the music. As I recall, it was accidental. I think Karas was playing at a reception for the production crew or cast. That is some small hope,for us agnotics, for a Higher Power at work in the world.
Yep. And it is definitely not an Orson Welles movie.

filfoster

One Too Many
Noir perfection

Doran said:
I've seen it several times, and I own a copy on DVD in my film noir collection. The thing toward the end where Orson Wells is looking out at the crowd and explaining his sick moral philosophy to Joseph Cotton is very disturbing. The moment wherein Orson Wells first appears is marvelous. The very beginning credits with the closeup of the zither being played is wonderful too. Perhaps I shall watch it again today.

As far as perfect films go, I offer Double Indemnity.

I can easily appreciate Double Indemnity and many of the early Hitchcock films as contenders.
I think The Third Man stands up so well to repeated viewing, even for 10-15 minute 'installments' is the attraction of the music, casting and the dramatically 'noir' time and place. The cinematography is also part of the appeal.

frussell

One Too Many
The Third Man

I remember my grandparents watching that movie with me when I was a kid, and they went so far as to buy a zither in hopes that my father would learn to play it! It ended up hanging on the wall. Years later after they died, I happened to have dinner with my other grandparents, Mr. Cotten and his wife Patricia Medina at a Chinese restaurant for a huge Chinese New Year celebration. I sat for at least a half an hour just staring at him before I got the courage up to talk to him. An exceedingly kind, unassuming and intelligent man. He died one or two years later. All I could think was that if my Texas grandparents could have been there, it would have made their year. Frank

Edward

Bartender
I've not seen The Third Man yet, but Casablanca has increasingly cemented itself in my head as the perfect film: cynical, world-weary protagonist with great style, always a cynical, jaded quip that belies a dry wit and great intelligence, plenty of ideals, but too smart to be idealistic.... Rick Blaine is the perfect hero-model to me. That he not only doesn't get the girl in the end, but directly turns her down beause he knows it simply would not work, makes the whole perfect.

Did I mention I'm abit of a cynic myself?

mrfish

New in Town
What a remarkable forum. I don't think I've ever run across anyone who has even viewed this movie, yet here are some good beans who've not only seen it but appreciate it as much as I do.

It works as a wonderfully constructed whole. Acting, directing, music, cinematography, all compliment each other. And, there is a great sense of, pomposity alert, mise-en-scene that seems to be sadly lacking in modern films.

mrfish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran