Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Perfect Plain White T-Shirt

volatile

A-List Customer
It seems that finding a perfect, classic-cut plain white t-shirt is harder than it would seem... some are too long; others are too short. Some fit in the body but don't in the sleeve. Some are too light weight... I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!

Where can I find a well-priced, well-cut, classic plain white t-shirt? Is it so much to ask?!

William Shears

New in Town
I wear the Hanes Comfort Sot V-neck shirts. Not vintage by any means, but they are cheap and fit me perfectly if I buy medium and wash them in very hot water the first time.

I always hated the way my white t-shirts (the major staple of my wardrobe) fit for a long time until I started buying them bigger and shrinking them. That's my key to getting contemporary store bought shirts to fit like proper clothing. Your mileage (and tastes) may vary.

volatile

A-List Customer
Dixon Cannon said:
Hey! It's a Tee-Shirt!!! K-Mart, 'Basic Editions', $4.98. It's a Tee-Shirt!

-dixon cannon

All t-shirts are not made equal. I've had my fair share of $5 shirts that have been weird shapes, fallen apart in the wash, developed holes in about 5 seconds, are thin, nasty and cheap.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
volatile said:
All t-shirts are not made equal. I've had my fair share of $5 shirts that have been weird shapes, fallen apart in the wash, developed holes in about 5 seconds, are thin, nasty and cheap.

Me too. I sleep in 'em, then throw 'em away and go buy another one! I wouldn't spend $30-$50 bucks to see Niagra Falls run backwards, let alone to buy a Tee-Shirt! I view Tee-Shirts as the barest minimum of clothing - not worth paying for a name brand that no-one will see. My 'Basic Editions' look great on me, for what they are - Tee-Shirts - If some special Tee-Shirt type affair comes up, I stop by K-Mart and buy a new one, knowing how comfortable it will be in a few months when I get to sleep in it.

-dixon cannon

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've been lurking for a few years, and a member-who-mainly-lurks for a year or so (under 200 posts). Reading the snark is fun, but I don't think I'd ever post a photo of myself on there. My skin is thick for this place, but paper thin for SF. So, yes, it is very bitchy, but there are so many people who know quite a bit on a wide range of topics that it's worth the visit.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I treat t-shirts/undershirts as disposable commodity items. As soon as the collar starts looking funny or gets misshapen, the shirt gets tossed. And don't get me started on perspiration stains...yuck

Puzzicato

One Too Many
volatile said:
It seems that finding a perfect, classic-cut plain white t-shirt is harder than it would seem... some are too long; others are too short. Some fit in the body but don't in the sleeve. Some are too light weight... I'm sure you know what I'm talking about!

Where can I find a well-priced, well-cut, classic plain white t-shirt? Is it so much to ask?!

Land's End. Nice quality, their stuff launders very well and there is a promotion on at the moment.

Ed13

Familiar Face
I agree t-shirts are not all the same. I like both Sunspel and Calida. Some models within their line are better than others. When I find one I really like I stock up.

I have been a member of SF and AskAndy for many rears though don't post often. SF seems to like trolls for their comic relief and AskAndy is a little bit more grown up. Both have some good information. Both sites can be brutally honest. Good or bad, depending how you see it.

I just wear V-Neck Fruit of the Loom's since only a bit of it can be seen under a collared, button down shirt of some kind, which I always wear.

I worked at K-Mart for 3 yeas and the Basic Editions shirts aren't too shabby, you should pick one up and give it a try, at the worst you're out 5 bucks plus sales tax.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
The 3 pack crew necks for 6.99 at UNIQLO are the very best vintage cut ive found yet. Give em a go, you will love them. I wear them with my drop loop trousers and a light jacket at the moment. Cant beat it.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
^ Agree on the Uniqlo tees. Great price and fit well (for me). I bought a three-pack from Primark a couple of years ago for £5 thinking them a bargain but they were the most ill-shaped, poorly made excuses for garments. It's a false economy, i'd happily pay three/four times as much for something that lasts ten times longer.
I have a Goodwear pocket t-shirt bought from Aeroleather about five years ago that's still going strong. I consider that a decent lifespan for a t-shirt.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Banana Republic fitted cotton crew necks are my favorites. They are a little pricey but well made and comfortable. While they are lightweight, I wear them hard and they last a long time. They also fit me better than any other brand I've tried. Something else that I like about them is that they don't have tags at the back of the neck. :)

volatile

A-List Customer
repeatclicks said:
The 3 pack crew necks for 6.99 at UNIQLO are the very best vintage cut ive found yet. Give em a go, you will love them. I wear them with my drop loop trousers and a light jacket at the moment. Cant beat it.

Uniqlo on Oxford St were all out of white tees in my size, wouldya believe it! Next weekend, next weekend! The American Apparel tees look like a great shape, too.

I've found gorgeous vintage-cut tees in Garbstore, but they're £40 each!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I can't believe it took me this long to chime in...

...as those who know me of the lounge are aware, I worked in the i the after manufacture garment/textile printing industry for something like ten years, which translates as -- I know a lot about t-shirts! lol

To say that not all tees are created equal is quite an understatement. There are certain brands (the ones typically used for freebee/promotional purposes) that are what I like to call "tomorrow's shop rags."

I agree that UNIQLO does indeed make a good, basic, vintage styled tee, but they're hard to get in the US. Alternative Apparel also makes some good models. For my money, though, in the US, the way to go is American Apparel. Their basic mens t-shirt (the 2001 model). They're made of really lightweight 4.3oz ring-spun jersey cotton that seems like it might be flimsy that in fact holds up well in my experience. The cut has high armholes, short/snug sleeves, and narrow neck/sleeve bands.

I was actually once told by a wholesale rep that the design was inspired by 60's tees.

At retail I think they run about $15/per or $36 for three, which is a little pricier than other brands. But then again, they are assembled in the US from American loomed/dyed textiles, which is pretty rare these days and worth the extra scratch to support, if you as me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy