Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The philosophy of hats

hatmatt

New in Town
I have often thought about the purpose of a hat in the modern world. Surely in ancient times, hats were used for protection against the elements. And, of course, they still are used in such a manner today, when necessary. But above that, what is the purpose of a man wearing a piece upon his head? I have my theories, but I would like to hear yours.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
As vain as it sounds I believe it mostly deals with style and fashion. I could easily wear a hoodie over my head when it is cold but I prefer wearing a hat. I am not like some of the others on the lounge in one regard. I LOVE BASEBALL CAPS. They were my first hats that I ever wore and I still wear them a lot. THey do not protect from much except glare from the sun but I like the way they look just how I also like how a fedora looks. Hope that all makes sense :)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
In my own mind, my hats are indeed a philosophical statement, of sorts. They are a reminder of a time when a man's word was supposed to mean something...of a time when honor and integrity were not a rarity...when a man wanted a job instead of a handout...a time when if our country was attacked, every able bodied man wanted to join up and defend it, instead of finding ways to dodge a draft. My hats are meant to remind of those days. That's what they mean to me. And...they still keep the sun out of my eyes and keep my head warm on cold days. :)

Last edited:

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
For me, while there is a functional purpose (protection from the elements) I started wearing hats because I like the look. I also like that it further differentiates me from the sloppy masses my age who roll out of bed, into a hoody, and onto the streets. Hats give an air of distinction and authority as well as enhancing one's appearance. One of my goals is to be able to influence the way others think, so anything that I feel can give me an edge in that regard is something I'll welcome.

Last edited:
In my own mind, my hats are indeed a philosophical statement, of sorts. They are a reminder of a time when a man's word was supposed to mean something...of a time when honor and integrity were not a rarity...when a man wanted a job instead of a handout...a time when if our country was attacked, every able bodied man wanted to join up and defend it, instead of finding ways to dodge a draft. My hats are a meant to remind of those days. That's what they mean to me. And...they still keep the sun out of my eyes and keep my head warm on cold days. :)

Well said Blackthorn!

Monte

A-List Customer
Growing up on our farm, a hat was standard equipment for outdoor work. I like fedoras for the respect they demand. I also like being called "sir" when I walk into a business or restaurant. I recently made the move to working outdoors again, but forgot the lessons I'd learned about sun protection. I have ear damage so now I use big headphones but can't really wear anything but a ball cap with them.
What would Bogie do?
"I can't hear with all this background noise, so, here's looking at you, kid."
Bogart_zps2fe72f2d.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In my own mind, my hats are indeed a philosophical statement, of sorts. They are a reminder of a time when a man's word was supposed to mean something...of a time when honor and integrity were not a rarity...when a man wanted a job instead of a handout...a time when if our country was attacked, every able bodied man wanted to join up and defend it, instead of finding ways to dodge a draft. My hats are a meant to remind of those days. That's what they mean to me. And...they still keep the sun out of my eyes and keep my head warm on cold days. :)

Blackthorn you nailed that on the nose!

Futwick

One of the Regulars
The hat with its band and brim represents the planet Saturn. Saturn is imaged as an old man (slowest moving planet to the ancients) and the last one before the sphere of the stars and hence was also regarded as a gatekeeper and a timekeeper (Saturn is the old man with a scythe and hourglass). So he represents the wisdom. He (or she) who wears a hat is crowned with wisdom. For those who doubt, the vodoun god, Legba, was the god of the crossroads because he represented a point between the spiritual and the material realms. Although not specifically ID'd as Saturn in vodoun, Saturn is who he is. Many images of Legba depict him as an old man wearing a key and a wide-brim hat.

RPB_Legba_BW.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
The hat with its band and brim represents the planet Saturn. Saturn is imaged as an old man (slowest moving planet to the ancients) and the last one before the sphere of the stars and hence was also regarded as a gatekeeper and a timekeeper (Saturn is the old man with a scythe and hourglass). So he represents the wisdom. He (or she) who wears a hat is crowned with wisdom. For those who doubt, the vodoun god, Legba, was the god of the crossroads because he represented a point between the spiritual and the material realms. Although not specifically ID'd as Saturn in vodoun, Saturn is who he is. Many images of Legba depict him as an old man wearing a key and a wide-brim hat.

RPB_Legba_BW.jpg
Yeah, that was what I was gonna say next...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL