Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Picture of Dorian Gray

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
What a fabulous film! I have managed over the past few years
to only catch small bits & decided not to watch the film until
I could see it in it's entirety. Well, last night I finally had the
opportunity thanks to TCM.

This film & the story is excellent. I love that there is the suspense,
mixed with the horrors of Dorian Gray's deeds, and the lesson learned.

This was Hurd Hatfield's second film. He really put on a performance.
He really creeped me out with his cold stone manner, along with his
face that never seemed to drawl any emotion whatsoever. I am interested
in seeing his other films. Apparently, he aged quite well and in the 1970s he was
kidded a lot with questions as to if he had a decaying picture of himself in the attic.

Also, both Angela Lansbury & Donna Reed are stunning in this film.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I really enjoy the restrained manner in which classical films of the post war era were done in England, "The Importance of Being Earnest", this one, etc. I also like the very restrained use of color, only when viewing the horrifying picture itself. Cool flick.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I've seen this movie a couple of times. I'm almost sorry I missed it last night but I was watching Battlestar Gallactica.....

I think what strikes me about this film is how most of us can relate to it in some manner. Every time I see it, I see things that I missed the time before and it gives a small glimpse into I think brews in all of us time to time...maybe it's time I actually bought the movie...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I really enjoy the restrained manner in which classical films of the post war era were done in England, "The Importance of Being Earnest", this one, etc. I also like the very restrained use of color, only when viewing the horrifying picture itself. Cool flick.

Not to be pendantic, but this Dorian Gray was made in Hollywood. An A-list production at M-G-M. (No British studio would have cast Donna Reed as an aristocratic English girl!)

But you're certainly right about the other Wilde film...

Kevin Noel Olso

New in Town
George Sanders is excellent in this film. It's right up there as one of the best horror films ever made, imo!
SandersSaint.jpg
Of course, George delivered a Saint performance that is still unsurpassed. I think Kilmer could have approached it, but the script just wasn't there. Whoever it was in Kilmer's version just wasn't The Saint. Of course, Roger Moore did a great job for television, and Vincent Price even better for radio!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I have thought for many a year that Angela Lansbury was one of the most beautiful and talented actresses around in her younger years. She had such captivating eyes.
I love the Dorian Grey story the book is just wonderful, dark and strange and compelling. Great film too!

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I would so love to hear the radio program of it.
I am going to search the internet for it...and I also
plan on reading the book. Thx for the tips!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot