Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Powder Room is Now Ladies Only. But I LIKE Talking To Ladies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You'll quickly notice that the Powder Room and Beauty foams are girls-only. This really isn't a major change; boys weren't supposed to be in there, really, anyway. It's a formalization of rules.

Here's the thing: The entire rest of The Fedora Lounge is co-ed. There is no push at work here to stop the mingling of our members. Several couples have met, fallen in love, and even married after meeting at The Fedora Lounge. This is something of which we are rather proud, and don't wish to discourage. It is quite foolish to think that, among a gathering of some 30,000 people of like-minded interests, some of them aren't going to fancy one another as pals, co-collectors, or close friends and virtual companions.

You see, This forum, this place, is, for the majority of our members, the only place that people can talk to others who like the stuff we like. We hear, over and over again, that people are pleased to have found a home, and friends, here. To discover that they aren't so odd, after all. That is enormously meaningful, and important, to all of us.

For the California members, or New Yorkers, to a lesser extent- even the Londoners, who have a large, active, in the flesh vintage community, it is difficult to understand that for the rest of us, vintage clothing and accessories, and people who are really into the culture of the mid 20th century, don't sprout like dandelions on every street corner. The only place to come and find friends and learn and explore, for most of us, is right here.

We will continue to encourage that in every way at our disposal. We value your friendships, and your conversations.

So the Powder Room is closed to boys. But the conversations between men and women, go on as before.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you so much for all what you say. In all fairness, one of the most pleasant experiences of having the Fedora Lounge to come to is just what you state. We have to call it a "no brainer"! The Lounge has more information about vintage "everything" if you will, and then some. The amount of knowledge learned is as astounding. It even appears that as one comes to learn a small bit here and there, that seeking even more interesting facts and sources makes it all that much more fun.

Where else can a person start a friendship with some "bloke" that lives in Australia, or some Gal that lives in Texas?

No matter what any reasons are for a new policy, all the wonderful good people are going to be right here...we all know this is the place. And the real goodness is hard to beat!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
i think every topic we men could wish to discuss is already well and truly catered for. :rolleyes:

In all fairness to everything, it is sad enough that someone had to draw a line. But that is now past history. We all can take the time to be happy as ever with what we do here and be so very thankful for each other. I am most positive that was the spirit behind what Scotrace had to state within what was started on this thread. So yes, I have to totally agree with you Herringbonekid.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm cool with that. I like the idea of gender-specific spaces.

How about a men's only lounge?

We could create one and call it The Den or The Night Club, The Tavern or something like that...but I have no idea what we'd discuss in there. Everything we'd want to talk about is covered by most of the other boards already.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Art of Manliness once did an exposé on The Battle Against Sweaty Genitals.

I'm not crazy about hosting such a conversation, in a den, or anywhere else. :eeek:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The Art of Manliness once did an exposé on The Battle Against Sweaty Genitals.

I'm not crazy about hosting such a conversation, in a den, or anywhere else. :eeek:

There are 'speciality' websites for that sort of thing. I'll stick to suits, thank you.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
I VERY MUCH DOUBT there's ANY interest in a discussion of THAT nature on the Lounge! *Horrified expression...*

One certainly hopes so... although there seem to be a few posters who are rather too willing to share information that better should stay private.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
I find it rather curious that this issue has generated so much heat. Its a tempest in a teapot. I wonder if the controversy is somewhat generational?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If we DO have a males-only subforum/board, it's fine by me. My issue is - why would we need one? What are we going to DO with it? That's what I don't understand.

Feraud

Bartender
If we DO have a males-only subforum/board, it's fine by me. My issue is - why would we need one? What are we going to DO with it? That's what I don't understand.

Lord help us, apparently some want fly their freaky "non PC" flags with impunity. It ain't gonna happen..

Nobert

Practically Family
As a sporadic reader/poster here, I missed all the brouhaha that attended this transition. But I did read the reasons for it, they're sound, and whatever it means coming from a Flounger who is also possessed of a Y chromosome, I'll just throw in my hat in support of it. Also handled with aplomb and fairness by the bartenders, as near as I can tell.

Feraud

Bartender
Shangas, you absolutely have not! I am referring to the small minority that seem to feel equality and fairness means they hold all the cards and anything less is an insult to their warped perception of fairness.

We need more like you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner