Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The quest for a perfect fitting Aero goes on

borisna

A-List Customer
Hey Wallis, I think your HWM spent more time in Toronto then actually getting there from Israel - I hate it when this happens :mad:

pauleway

Practically Family
I have a 50's HB and the back length is 24". It sits just about where your Hwymn did on you and I am 5'7"! I would at least add another inch to the back length on your 30's HB at your height!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I am 186 cm and my half belt is 25.5". According to Amanda the standard length for size 40 is 24.5" and for size 42 it's 25". So I think it's safe to assume that the standard length for size 38 is 24". My jacket is a hybrid with 40 shoulders and 38 chest and waist. Being a lot taller than the average size 38 customer I went for a slightly longer jacket.

Looks like this:
4%2520am%252008-05-2012%2520um%252013.21%2520%25235.jpg

I hope this helps.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I was told my Amanda that the back length for a size 38 1930's HB was approx. 23-inches and it slopes around in the front by about 1.5-inches.

Edward

Bartender
Always go by what Amanda tells you, and keep a track of the emails. I say this for two reasons: one, and most importantly, Amanda knows her stuff. And two - it is my policy when dealing with any company, to if in doubt take their advice - they know their product and if what they supply doesn't it me right, then it's a whole lot easier to go back and get it changed (at no extra cost) than it would be if you have insisted on something that then doesn't work...

Borisna, FWIW, when Will at Aero measured me for my HWM, he recommended that it should lie just above the back pockets, exactly where yours sits. Mine looks the same as yours and is 25.5.

I would agree. If you look at photos of the late Fifties and early sixties leather boys at the likes of the Ace Cafe, from the era to which the HWM designs dates, you will see that these jackets were worn that little bit longer than the likes of the Thirties Halfbelt. Too much higher, and a boxier fitting jacket like the HWM would start to look odd, losing the balanced proportions of the design.

wdw, i was looking before at these pics of HectorTorta's half belt and I think his fit looks very nice:

Agreed. When I lose a bit more weight I am hoping mine will look like this too! ;)

Sounds good Boris. I think the size 38 30s HB should fit perfectly considering that the size 38 Highwayman was a little bigger than you wanted.

Yes, based on what you have said, Boris, I would agree with Wallis. My HWM and 30s Halfbelt are both a size 42. The Halfbelt is as tight as I could realistically go in a jacket and it still look credible, while the HWM I wouldn't care to have any baggier (without a shearling lining, anyhow - I'm entertaining lunatic thoughts of one of those for the Winter as an alternative to my brown shearlings - an Irvin and a B3...). Based on my experience across those two differnt designs in the same nominal Aero size, and what you say here, I think you will be much happier with the fit of the 30s halfbelt.

Perfect length but too wide (for my taste) ...

;)

Yeah, well.... we don't all have your build, Rudie! ;)

I am 186 cm and my half belt is 25.5". According to Amanda the standard length for size 40 is 24.5" and for size 42 it's 25". So I think it's safe to assume that the standard length for size 38 is 24". My jacket is a hybrid with 40 shoulders and 38 chest and waist. Being a lot taller than the average size 38 customer I went for a slightly longer jacket.

Looks like this:
4%2520am%252008-05-2012%2520um%252013.21%2520%25235.jpg

I hope this helps.

Jinkies, I can see why you like 'em so tight! I wish my profile looked more like yours, and less like Hitchcock.... ;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Jinkies, I can see why you like 'em so tight! I wish my profile looked more like yours, and less like Hitchcock.... ;)

Edward, it's really quite easy. You can have that, too, and permanently! No dieting and no yo-yo effect. Find a good hypnotist schooled in regression to cause, neutralize all your emotional triggers for overeating, and you're good to go. If you need help in finding a good one (it's not easy if you don't know what to look for) you can PM me. ;)

Also, if you go against what Amanda or the rep of any company tells you, they are off the hook for fit. That might mean you don't get another jacket without paying.
STRESS how you'd like it to fit, but five them the measurements (accurately) and let them make it.

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
Find a good hypnotist schooled in regression to cause, neutralize all your emotional triggers for overeating, and you're good to go.
I need a hypnotist that can tell me "You don't need another jacket. You are perfectly satisfied with the 25 you already own." ;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I need a hypnotist that can tell me "You don't need another jacket. You are perfectly satisfied with the 25 you already own." ;)

That's not what a good hypnotist does. Finding the emotional cause for the inner void you're trying to fill without success by buying all the jackets and then resolving it is the way to go. And yes, it's possible. ;)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
It's not a design that appeals to me, but the 30s pattern works best with a slender frame (Rudie is a good example) and high waisted trousers as might have been worn in period.
As soon as you start to wear lower slung trousers below the natural waist on the hips then the design is compromised somewhat as it accentuates the gap between belt and jacket.
The same is true, albeit to a lesser extent, with military jackets such as the A-2, which look great and hang well with higher waisted trousers.
Or am I speaking as somebody who is beyond his skinny, low slung jeans days ;-)

??

Last edited:

borisna

A-List Customer
Thanks for the advice gents, I looked at GriffDeLaGriff's half belt and went with his sizing as we are the same height, so now it's 24.5" back sloping to 26" front.
So the new jacket compared to the HWM should be ~0.5" higher in the back and ~1" longer at the belt buckle, something like this :

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I think 24.5" back sounds good. Its what I have and the jacket is short. It will pull up more then the Highwayman because of the sidestraps so it might just be what you want in the end.

But we also need to understand that not all bodys are the same even tho we are the same length. We have different lenght upper body.

And about the front length. I think its best to just say 24.5" back and then let Aero decide the front length, it can be quite troublesome to figure out the correct length. For instance mine is longer in the front but its still only 22" and this is because of the collar and how the jacket hangs. So if you specify 24.5" back and 26" front its gonna look terrible. I guess you have measured from the seem on top of the sgoulders but this is not how Aero measures....I think they basically measures the "zipper length" as the front length.

I think we need some others input here, but I say tell them back length and that you want the normal sloping front and let them decide what that comes to.

borisna

A-List Customer
Griff, Amanda was the one to suggest " 24.5” back and it will slope around to approx 26” in the front " i think she just means that the slope adds 1.5"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925