Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The quest for a perfect fitting Aero goes on

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Having some thoughts of changing the order to black corduroy strip at inside bottom instead of leather, might look good with black drill lining and be less bulky
Also having corduroy lined cuffs instead of double leather - did anyone try this before? I had corduroy lined pockets in my old HWM and that felt very nice and is also durable

Good idea. I'm under the impression that they will do the corduroy strip for free, but the leather strip is 50 pounds.

trapp

Practically Family
Does adding a leather strip at the bottom add that much bulk or weight to the jacket? I'm in the process of putting together a HWM order with Amanda and I'd been leaning toward the leather. But I'm open to the idea of corduroy. Setting the bump in cost for leather aside, are there other advantages to having the corduroy instead of leather at the bottom of the jacket?

Does adding a leather strip at the bottom add that much bulk or weight to the jacket? I'm in the process of putting together a HWM order with Amanda and I'd been leaning toward the leather. But I'm open to the idea of corduroy. Setting the bump in cost for leather aside, are there other advantages to having the corduroy instead of leather at the bottom of the jacket?

Some time back many folks ordering Aero's from this forum asked for the leather strip at the bottom. It used to be a free add on. I believe Aero started to charge the fee to disuade folks from adding it.
From my earlier discussions with the folks at Aero, they feel that it is not necessary...that corduroy does as good a job "protecting" the bottom hem...and, actually, that even corduroy is not really necessary.
They also noted that the leather strip at the bottom alters the way the jacket hangs from the wearers body...resulting in a less appealing look.
I own several Aero leather jackets that have gotten some pretty heavy wear over the years. None of them has leather...or corduroy...at the bottom hem. All are dong just fine. No wear and tear along the bottom hem...no hem sticking out from the bottom of the jacket.
If I ever order another Aero, it will be as all my others with just the standard lining at the hem.
If I were to ask for a strip of some different material at the hem...it would be corduroy. Doesn't change the way the jacket drapes, free, cuts down on the extra weight a leather hem would add.

Last edited:

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Why do they do strips? Why not construct them the way all other jacket are constructed by folding the hem over the lining or whatever it is they do?

Last edited:
Why do they do strips? Why not construct them the way all other jacket are constructed by folding the hem over the lining or whatever it is they do?

Don't know.
FWIW, those leather jackets I own that are of a "vintage" design (Aeros, my non A2 GW's,) don't have a strip of leather at the bottom hem.
My Vanson's and G&B "Indy" style jacket do.
I'd guess it has to do with ease of manufacture and/or how it affects the drape of the jacket.
The people to ask are those at Aero. Drop Amanda a line...I'm sure she'll let you know their reasoning.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I had a Lost Worlds Ryder that came standard with a 2-inch strip at the bottom. I have an Aero Long Half Belt with the Alpaca lining and the lining goes all the way to the bottom of the jacket. The jacket has only been worn 10-15 times, but I assume that the lining will eventually droop below the leather (and I seem to recall reading here that it happens), so I ordered my half belt with the 2-inch leather strip. I can't imagine it is going to hurt anything - other than my wallet.

trapp

Practically Family
Thanks for the responses. I'm neither set on or against an extra strip of fabric but would like to know as much as possible about the pros and cons when making a decision. I'll discuss it with Amanda. If anything new comes out of the discussion I'll communicate it on this thread.

Dav

One Too Many
I too have been debating weather or not to go with the leather hem strip, initially I was going to but have decided against it, based on the fact that my other two Aeros don't and at the moment they seem to be holding up just fine, plus I have the advantage of being in the UK so a repair at a future date would not be a problem to get done. Can't wait for it to arrive now, nine weeks and counting.

Edward

Bartender
I too have been debating weather or not to go with the leather hem strip, initially I was going to but have decided against it, based on the fact that my other two Aeros don't and at the moment they seem to be holding up just fine, plus I have the advantage of being in the UK so a repair at a future date would not be a problem to get done. Can't wait for it to arrive now, nine weeks and counting.

I have it on a Thirties Halfbelt I bought from Aero's sales page, while my Bootlegger and Highwayman are standard. Ideally, I'd do it. Makes nil difference to the feel / drape of the jacket in wear. That said, once you consider the extra GBP50.00 charge, I am inclined to agree that it's not really worth it for those of us in the UK - the postage difference is so minimal that I'd rather risk it and wait until (or if) it needs done - especially with the option of the corduroy for no extra charge.

wdw

One Too Many
You're right, Edward. For the sake of £50, you could save it and pay for the trip up there to deliver it yourself and then fondle all the lovely leather jackets.

trapp

Practically Family
If it makes no difference to the feel or drape of the jacket, then being in the States (making an Aero repair more cost prohibitive) I'm feeling inclined to suck up the initial cost and add the leather. I like the way it looks--it makes the jacket seem more finished. In the larger scheme of things, it's a minor detail, and I wouldn't want it to affect the drape or eventual shape of the jacket. If that has happened to anyone, it would be good to hear about it.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
My opinion is that it might be "needed" since my Highwayman has shown some wear along the hem. It isnt cotton drill tho, but some mustard cotton.

However, I just know it will feel too bulky for me. The double lether cuffs on my HB is bulky, and they aren´t even FQHH, they are medium weight. I wouldn´t even want a leather strip on the hem on a medium weight jacket. I actually wouldnt even want cordoroy since its kinda bulky aswell and I would advice against using it in the pockets because of this. The pockets will be visible from the outside as it is and I wouldnt want any more bulk, therefore I always choose white cotton drill inside my pockets or moleskin for handwarmer pockets. My Highwayman has cordoroy handwarmer pockets and its ok beacuse the jacket isnt very snug.

This is how I feel and we are all different.

I can't compare one with and one without, but my 50s HBD has it and I'm glad it does as I've seen some older jackets with sag in the back and the lining starting to wear out. But all personal taste. I won't wear this one enough to begin to wear it out here...

jeo

One Too Many
Hey Boris,

How often do you get to wear a hh jacket in israel? It gets SO hot over there!

Also, if you can post photos of your new jacket, that would be awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav