Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The quest for a perfect fitting Aero goes on

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Mojo, the half belt fits you very nicely.
what back length would you recommend for me?

Borisna,

We only like to give specification advice after talking in depth with our customers and getting an understanding of their style, how they'll be using the jacket, if they want the jacket to be historically correct, etc. We get pretty in depth and don't take fit lightly. For example, over the past two days, we have been fitting a gentleman in Australia using a fit jacket for both an Aero Cafe' Racer and an Aero 1930s Slimfit Halfbelt. Given the price of our jackets, we don't leave anything to chance; this also allows us to guarantee fit! However, I can tell you that the original length you specified will be WAY too short, given your height.

Warmest regards,

Wade
www.insurrectionvintage.com
www.insurrection-racing.com

Lungomare

A-List Customer
Thanks for the advice gents, I looked at GriffDeLaGriff's half belt and went with his sizing as we are the same height, so now it's 24.5" back sloping to 26" front.
So the new jacket compared to the HWM should be ~0.5" higher in the back and ~1" longer at the belt buckle, something like this :

Don't be to perfectionist with your sizing because there is always an understandable (!) making tolerance of 0.5", which won't make the fit better or worse. Once worn for a while an Aero gets better and better (if the deviation in sizing is not more than 0.5").

Regards,

Johannes

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
That's not what a good hypnotist does. Finding the emotional cause for the inner void you're trying to fill without success by buying all the jackets and then resolving it is the way to go. And yes, it's possible. ;)
Sounds like very logical, wise advice. I have slowed way down on acquiring jackets, so maybe I'm on the way to recovery. I do plan on selling some of them. There's probably about eight of them (two for extreme cold weather, two for cold weather, and four A-2s) I wear on a regular basis. I am happy with the ones I wear, but when there are reviews and pictures on forums like this....it makes a guy start thinking.

trapp

Practically Family
Borisna, sounds like you're doing the research and ordering a great jacket.

Count me among those who think the fit of the 38 highwayman was great on you. You're not going to be 160 pounds forever (or likely even for very long?) and one day when you're struggling to zip up the trim fitting halfbelt you might wish you still had that highwayman around;) Seems to me the highwayman is a jacket that a younger guy can 'age into', whereas some of Aero's halfbelts are likely going to be harder to pull off down the road.

That said, I'm sure you're new halfbelt will look stunning. Be sure to update the thread with pics.

wallis

Familiar Face
For those who have not been following the thread, I am the recipient of Boris' old jacket. I agree that the jacket fit Boris just fine... but it was not the fit that he was after. Boris is looking for the fitted cut of a 30s HB, while I'm looking for a utility jacket that I can wear 4 seasons (with some layering) here in Canada. I stand about 1.5" shorter than Boris, but out weigh him by almost 10lbs. I payed Boris a pretty penny for this jacket, much more than the going rate for a used Aero, as it was exactly how I would have ordered it from Aero; including the leather lined sleeves, leather facing at bottom of jacket, cotton drill lining, and extra length.

Anyhow, Boris has requested that I post pictures of the jacket. But first, the hilarious story of the first meeting with my new Highwayman:

I'd been tracking the jacket on it's journey from Israel, and was getting rather anxious after a 3 day hold up at customs. Monday morning I woke very excited to see that it was only a few blocks away from my house at the Scarborough (an area of Toronto) sorting facility. I was expecting it to arrive that day. Monday afternoon came and went with no signs of my new jacket, and I went to sleep knowing that I was mere hours away from receiving my new jacket. Tuesday started early, although my fiance would have preferred a lengthy cuddle, I was up and waiting on the front porch by 8 AM (I'm on holiday). I got an update shortly after rising that my jacket was at the "local distribution facility". By 10 AM I was growing rather impatient and there had been no update that "the parcel was out for delivery" so I decided that it would be a good idea to try and intercept the jacket at my local post office before it was put on a truck. After an argument with the lady at the post office (who spoke very little English) I was headed home confused as to the whereabouts of my jacket; round trip less than 15 minutes.

I arrived home to the bittersweet site of a delivery notice. I had missed the parcel... I turned into a mad man. I was headed out of town that afternoon and wouldn't return until Friday night. This meant that I wouldn't be able to pick my jacket up until the following Monday. I grabbed my car keys, rounded up my wallet, phone, and fiance, and jumped in my car. I chased down the post man. I chased down another post man. I chased down every ******** Canada Post truck in my neighborhood. It was now nearing 11 AM, and I was a defeated man; I had searched every street around my house. Just as I was pulling in my driveway I watched a Canada Post truck speed up the hill at the end of my street. The chase was on... me in a 300hp luxury sport sedan, and him in a diesel delivery truck. After running a red light, making an illegal u-turn, and scaring the daylights out of everyone around me I was able to maneuver my car in such a way that there was no getting past. I hadn't thought about the next part, that I would have to now confront the guy who I had almost run off the road. In a stroke of genius I sent my fiance (a very pretty girl) out to greet the obviously annoyed postman. In her bubbly, very endearing way, she was able to diffuse the situation and almost immediately had the postman laughing. I could tell by her excitement, and relief, that he was the guy who had tagged my front door. At this precise moment I jumped out of the car to introduce myself as the man behind the insanity. I payed him the 30 some odd dollars in customs fees and opened my jacket right there on the side of the road. A perfect fit. Exactly what I had hoped for.

I took my fiance out for Belgian waffles at the local place as a sort of thank you, and headed out of town wearing my new Aero Highwayman.

Here are the fit pics that I promised Boris. I don't mean to steal his thread, but I didn't want to crowd the outerwear forum with another Aero thread. There is enough room to fit a medium weight wool sweater, and its long enough that I can wear it on my bike. This won't be my long haul jacket, but it's perfect if I'm riding within the city with a couple stops expected.

2a4sr51.jpg

2yyccbn.jpg

This picture is in sepia tone because it is the only way that I know how to reduce the glare. The zipper is done up in this photo so the jacket, being so stiff at the moment, doesn't drape very well. When unzipped it falls nicely. Once it breaks in it won't look so bulky at the back.
2vlqjqc.jpg

1hwbup.jpg

24l6iol.jpg

4tts9z.jpg

Last edited:

borisna

A-List Customer
Wallis you are one CRAZY dude !!! And with that story this is now officially your thread :)

The HWM looks awesome on you !! perfect sleeve and back length
And if you compare our fit pics :

You can see that unlike all the creases in back and front I had wearing the HWM you fill out the jacket perfectly, so basically it was made for you :D

I am very happy the jacket turned out so good for you, enjoy it :)

Boris

Last edited:

wallis

Familiar Face
A lengthy cuddle with the girl would have been my choice. Leather jackets come and go. This one is a nice one, though.

Don't get me wrong, I never take her for granted. Jacket delivery makes for a special day though, and we've had seven years worth of lazy mornings.

@Boris

Yes it was a pretty ridiculous event, but life is all about having fun! As my fiancé pointed out, I'll remember that crazy morning as long as I own this jacket.

Please post photos of your new jacket when it arrives. I plan on ordering a cafe racer or slim half belt for riding within the year, and seeing how the size 38 fits you will help me choose if I need to step up to a 40. Did they give you an ETA for the jacket?

borisna

A-List Customer
Wallis, Thats true and now you have a great story to tell about the jacket when people compliment you about it, and they will :)

Aero quoted me 12 weeks, and I also keep track of their sales page, right now they have a size 38 30's half belt BUT it's in goat :(

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Boris, it won't fit you anyway, unless you have really long arms. BUT - the russet goat is great. ;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
No, they made it for me. Unfortunately most of my custom specs were lost during the order process (don't know how that could happen). We only realized it when it was ready to be shipped, so they had to make me another jacket. The sleeves are probably one or two yards too long for you. :D

schitzo

Suspended
well if that's the only bone of contention then it's not even an issue - Aero can always shorten sleeves. It's sleeves which are too short that are a real problem

trapp

Practically Family
Nice seeing the side-by-side fit pics for comparison. Wallis, the jacket looks superb--perfect fit all 'round. Looks like you molded the collar a bit since you got it and that looks good too.

wallis

Familiar Face
well if that's the only bone of contention then it's not even an issue - Aero can always shorten sleeves. It's sleeves which are too short that are a real problem

Agreed. Just can't get past that colour - personal opinion of course. I think I'll be going black fqhh (or possibly steer) on my next one.

Nice seeing the side-by-side fit pics for comparison. Wallis, the jacket looks superb--perfect fit all 'round. Looks like you molded the collar a bit since you got it and that looks good too.

Thanks! I'd have to agree with you. I was a little nervous that it'd be a tad on the big side through the shoulders, but this is exactly the fit that I had in mind. The collar has been molded a bit, simply by hand, no water involved.

borisna

A-List Customer
Having some thoughts of changing the order to black corduroy strip at inside bottom instead of leather, might look good with black drill lining and be less bulky
Also having corduroy lined cuffs instead of double leather - did anyone try this before? I had corduroy lined pockets in my old HWM and that felt very nice and is also durable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav