Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Relapse

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We all are well versed with the supernatural TFL Effect, which corrupts many new members of this fine community: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-tfl-effect.94299/ . I love watching new members as they succumb to the TFL Effect and purchase new jackets at a furious pace. Their vitality lubricates and energizes the entire community.

Over time, the TFL Effect inevitably wanes and the pace with which we acquire new jackets usually declines after the initial storm surge. For almost two years, I steadfastly resisted the urge to buy a new leather jacket. It appeared that I had triumphed over the TFL Effect. However, the TFL Effect is cunning and patient – it continues to lurk within us even during periods of abstinence. I initially fell off the wagon a few months ago when I purchased a FCL Tyler. I thought that would be it – one purchase/drink/hit/bet and I will return to abstinence. I was sorely mistaken. I just closed a deal to purchase yet another jacket. That’s two jackets in three months. The TFL Effect has reeled me back in.

I have officially relapsed!!!

Anyone else ostensibly gain control over the TFL Effect for a sustained period of time, only to subsequently relapse? What jacket caused the relapse? What pushed you over the edge? Was it a temporary relapse or did you go full bore?

Remember, the first step is to admit that we are powerless over outerwear!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I channel it to the power of "save picture as" and make a mandala to daily meditate to
Screenshot_20210323-084929_Gallery.jpg
My calming haiku is :
Fullgrain indigo
Time spent on creases and fades
Right click to save as

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
I hope to stay on the straight and narrow as well. I have overdone it this last 12 months. So I am done acquiring jackets for the year and (aside from the jacket already on order). Or if a reasonably priced size 36 FW Mulholland in black becomes available then that's it for me. . .

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Mwa ha ha ha ha... Good luck Pilgrim... I'm lucky... My last custom jacket from Aero took so long I went cold turkey... Of course now I'm on to other obsessions... like updating my computer room/man cave... it never ends. It just transmutes into something even more expensive...

Worf

Fonzie

One Too Many
I was jacket sober for nearly three years until I bought one in January that was too tempting to pass.

That started a chain reaction of lust over more and culminated by another ELMC Californian a week ago.

That’s two jackets in three months, taking my tally of leathers to sixteen and it’s not even jacket weather here in SA for more than 4 months...

Hi, my name is Fonzie and I am a jacket addict (Jacketeer).

56DeSoto

Familiar Face
I'm still in the learning and trial-and-error phase, but this site has been great for getting educated. I could see how it could become addictive, so I'm trying to sit back and learn more than buy (an effort which has been only partially successful). It helps that I can score some women's jackets for fairly cheap so it's not a huge deal if the fit doesn't work out. Perhaps some day I'll work up to something fancier, but in the meantime I'm benefiting from y'all's addictions. So thanks!

dannyk

One Too Many
I beat it for years. I’m currently in a relapse myself. I did the entire TFL system. I researched here for like 2 years before joining and making a purchase. Then I went through like 6-7 jackets in a few months. Then it slowed. Then I barely did anything for the last several years. Over the last few months my purchases have skyrocketed. Seemingly out of nowhere. I didn’t get a new job or win the lottery. I didn’t get more storage space, I didn’t leave my fiancé haha. I will say though in a change of pace my jackets haven’t increased a ton, in fact I’ve actually sold off most of them. I’ve decided to up the game in the rest of my wardrobe, jeans, shirts, pants, denim, etc... which is nice to be able to buy a lot more for a lot less than the jackets I’m into cost. Whatever is a trigger, whatever cycles come and go; the only way is to run far far away from here. Otherwise no matter how well you’re doing it will eventually suck you back in.

Last edited:
Why would you stop, or even slow down with buying clothes? You're going to get dressed every day. It's the only constant in ones life. You're going to wear something so it can be either something you really and truly want to wear or something you already own, which takes the choice out of the equation, and while simplifies things, might not make your day as happy as it woulda been had you bought that cool jacket. And we're having so little choices lately that I can at least pretend I look good.

TFL makes zero difference to me. Nothing online does. I just wake up, thinking - knowing - I absolutely need this or that and I don't need to see a single photo of it.

What honestly helps me think twice about a certain piece of outwerwear are Instagram accounts like fjorde, jorge, that bearded dude, that other bearded dude and anyone else using the word "rugged" in a non ironic manner. I instantly want to invest into a nice pair of Adidas sweatpants.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
There are ebbs and flows in this addiction/hobby for me. I've been through several phases when I didn't feel the need for any more jackets, where I had the feeling that my collection was "complete". It's never lasted more than 6 months for me. And the only reason that it lasted so long was that during those times I wasn't as active on TFL as I normally am. I recently entered a "downsizing phase" of my collection, sold off most of my Aeros with the goal of having 5 or 6 jackets to keep forever. A huge trigger for this was that I bought the Brooks. I realized I'm more happy with that one for a fraction of the cost of a repro, than I ever was with any of my custom jackets.
However, selling off so many jackets gave me access to a fund of "free jacket money" which led me to put in an order for a Fivestar, then a Thedi. And I'm currently looking at a vintage crosszip, messaging with the seller. If I go ahead with that one, thats' three jackets this year... While I'm actively trying to downsize... I realize just now that the downsizing phase has gradually transformed into a collector phase once more. I'm trying to resist, because I know I'm not happy when I have 15 leather jackets and not enough time to wear them all. I don't want to just watch them hanging on the rail. I want to actually wear them.
@Bfd70 is right on the money. There are people who can be active here and not buy a new jacket for years. Maybe they're not as prone to addiction or obsessive as I am, but I don't think I could ever do that.

What is this TFL effect you speak of?
I really have never experienced it... I don't even really like leather jackets....

3mAbxJw.jpg

I can stop any time, i swear, i just don't want to right now....

Lack of leather pants is disturbing.

Y'know, don't sell anything off these racks, ever. It'd just unbalance the perfection. Are they themed? First one has a lot of LW's with the second one being all Vanson.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Lack of leather pants is disturbing.

Y'know, don't sell anything off these racks, ever. It'd just unbalance the perfection. Are they themed? First one has a lot of LW's with the second one being all Vanson.

Pretty sure my GF would leave me if i started the leather pants route...

Yep, they are somewhat themed.
First rail is all LW + my Leathertogs copies (himel and FW)
Second rail is all Vanson + UK made (LL, ELMC, Aero, AL)
Third rail starts with Buco in the front (RMC, DD) then goes US made. (Langlitz, JL, Legendary USA, Lee, Golden Bear, Apparel Annex, Cal) and then the odd ones like my Thurlow and Schott police jacket etc...

Edward

Bartender
My last new jacket was 2014; I think I've bought one second hand since then. Mix of things: redecorating the flat with a view to moving house over the next few years, cost of a storage locker for a lot of things this last year (hopefully soon to be cleared out), carrying more weight than I want to (lockdown hasn't helped as I've not been commuting for over a year now, so not even the walk to the train station; trying to get out to walk for exercise more often now, but it's not easy given the extra hours work swallows teaching online)... That, and still dealing with the tail-end of a strong hoarding problem have rather curbed what I'm prepared to invest the money in. I still have a list of Aero jackets as long as my arm that I want, though: I'll treat myself to a new one when I get the weight off. If the timing is right, I have my eye on the Wilderness model.

Why would you stop, or even slow down with buying clothes? You're going to get dressed every day. It's the only constant in ones life.

One reason I have stuck with this "hobby" of wearing vintage / repro is the practicality. Sure, I don't *need* half a dozen leather jackets, but knowing I can take them out and wear them and they're not just taking up space - and. as you say, we all need clothes - does somewhat help in justifying having a 'collection'.

What honestly helps me think twice about a certain piece of outwerwear are Instagram accounts like fjorde, jorge, that bearded dude, that other bearded dude and anyone else using the word "rugged" in a non ironic manner. I instantly want to invest into a nice pair of Adidas sweatpants.

Ha! I diagnose an allergy to hipsters. You've been reading the LW website too often. ;)

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Why would you stop, or even slow down with buying clothes? You're going to get dressed every day.

For me buying leather jackets is not about buying an item of clothing. For me it's a hobby. I really appreciate the fine materials used and the craftsmanship that goes into making high quality garments. Since I've worked in the luxury fashion industry for more than a decade I've pretty much seen it all. From vicuña wool to hand stitched buttonholes to Norvegese welt shoes. But to me buying a leather jacket has something extra special to it.

What I like most about the leather jacket hobby is

1) The process of working closely together with the actual maker.

2) The hunt. Finding a rare vintage gem for a good price. I love to use the search term 'leather', wading through pages of junk only to spot that gem on page 189 :)

I'm not sure whether I'm ever going to slow down on the buying. Maybe when I run out of space one day :)

One reason I have stuck with this "hobby" of wearing vintage / repro is the practicality. Sure, I don't *need* half a dozen leather jackets, but knowing I can take them out and wear them and they're not just taking up space - and. as you say, we all need clothes - does somewhat help in justifying having a 'collection'.

Exactly that. Buy a new piece of electronic and it's basically junk after a year. Car will get you on an express highway to frustration town, either because of increasingly deranged traffic or having to deal with random imaginary new fees they come up each year plus gas prices, worrying someone's gonna steal/damage it, etc.
It's really not that simple finding an enjoyable hobby that doesn't seem like a complete waste of money and clothes is closest I can think of. Plus it makes you look... Well, if not good then at least more confident. Which matters. :D

Ha! I diagnose an allergy to hipsters. You've been reading the LW website too often. ;)

Did you see those guys?? How is it possible to suck out all the cool out of a cross zip like that? I would not think it possible, I really wouldn't but then fjorde posts another photo and bam, he did it again. May God have mercy on his soul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21