Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

Landman

One Too Many
Thanks for the information, Brad and Alan. Should I try to preserve the liner, or just put in a new one?

I had an older liner cleaned by my local dry cleaners. I was amazed at how good it looked after they finished with it. This was a small dry cleaners and the owner cleaned it himself. He told me he treated it like he would have treated a fancy silk scarf. Might be worth a try if you can find a small shop that will pay special attention to it.

Denton

One of the Regulars
Just scored my first Knox. A Knox Premier. It needs some work, so I plan on it being sent out to BSHW for a refurb. Any thoughts on manufacture date???

esuqa9aj.jpg

Very nice Knox, Harv! To my eye, that brim doesn't want to be snapped down. Have you tried wearing it upbrim?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It wasn't meant to be snapped, as it's a homburg, but it looks like much of the curl has been flattened at some point in its life.

Brad

It wasn't meant to be snapped, as it's a homburg, but it looks like much of the curl has been flattened at some point in its life.

Brad

Thanks for the input guys! I agree. It is a homburg, that at some point, was tried to be worn as a fedora. It actually works OK either way. Up brim, or down brim. The felt seems very nice on this one as well.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I picked up this hat this morning while out in the antique stores. I don't think this hat has ever been creased. I don't know if it has a liner at one point. I don't see any left over thread in it or any thing. The felt is very light weight. 50's?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Great find! Usually they have a tip sticker if they don't have a liner, but since it looks relatively unworn, who knows what the story is? In any case, that's a 1940s factory label, so it's older than you thought.

It looks like there are crease lines on the front. Was that from your creasing?

Brad

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Brad. Now that I look it looks like there are some light crease lines on the front that I can see from the camera image. Looking at the hat in person I can't really see them. It if was creased I don't think it was ever set into the felt. At any rate the thing is in great condition except for the missing liner. I figured there would either be a tip sticker or a stamp of some sort for branding. I am glad to see it is 40's. Thats my first 40's lid. So far I have some great lids but they are all late 50's or early 60's.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Just picked up this Knox Superfine Homburg at the post office (from Etsy):

KnoxHomburg_3_4.jpg KnoxHomburg_Liner.jpg KnoxHomburg_Label.jpg

Since the block depth can be found on the production label, I guess it's from the 50s. Brad can probably tell more(?) :)

It needs a little steam and brushing, and the ribbon also needs a little tightening and TLC. Then I'm sure it'll get quite some headtime. Inspite of the blueish hue, it's black with a dark Burgundy brim binding.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thanks to you all guys - not least Brad, who was able to look through the Botox and make it 10 years older. Seller wrote "50s - 60s" (not showing the label), but I thought it looked to the older side. Anyway, the binding got me, so the age is just a (very) nice bonus :)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I will, Steve. I have given it the first steaming/brushing, but I still need to give it a little care. Inside it's in fantastic shape - both liner and leather. It has been stored/shipped in a Churchill box with little "shoulder-room", so the right side of the brim had a little too much "roll". The first steaming took the most out, but it should look it's best, going to the photographer. I like it better and better, the more I get to know the fella :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy