Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The stingiest stingy ever

Wil Tam

Practically Family

I picked up this vintage Bianchi in olive green on the cheap & it has the thinnest brim I ever seen... like a skullcap with brim, hah!

IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0210.jpg

lite weight grosgrain sweat .. pristine lining .. top view
IMG_0205.jpg
IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg

front .. back -- side views
IMG_0197.jpg
IMG_0198-1.jpg

not too sure about this one ... this may be the wear around the house only hat... hah hah

But it is really soft & comfy!

smiley-think005.gif
smiley-score005.gif

----------------
Now playing: Cardigans, the - For What It's Worth
via FoxyTunes

Wil Tam

Practically Family
UWS Cowboy said:
I like it! I also just got a vintage stingy brim in brown. What does yours measure?

1.5" brim .. 4.5" crown in a 7 1/8" LO with a what seems like a natural porkpie bash

jpbales said:
maybe if you snap the front down and put on a thick ribbon it will look like the Watchman hat lol

I can try it the brim kinda has a bad cupping shape when I snap it down ... I can try to relax it

I was going to leave this hat as is but I'll work on it & I do have a vintage black ribbon I salvaged off of a Borsalino I can use.

The hat is really of great quality the felt is velvety soft and is a thick heavy weight. When it arrived it still had the tags on but in rough shape, the foam back on the sweat had disintegrated plus the hat was ill kept ... very wrinkled & crushed so I just soaked the whole thing in hot soapy water for a while to get it clean then I reshaped it.

chico-marx-sm.jpg

it sorta reminded me of Chico Marx

49734-main.jpg
IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0218.jpg

maybe.... pretty close on the third, but do you see the cupping?
the second photo has all of the brim snapped down

I'm really going to have to finesse this one if I want to get it to look like the Watchman's Hat

watchmen.jpg

----------------
Now playing: Dinosaur Jr - Almost Ready
via FoxyTunes

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice Lid Wil.....

....but I'm afraid I have you beat. :D

I have 2 as a matter of fact.

One has an 1 1/4", and the other is 1 3/8".

If you want, I'll post them for ya? [huh]

funneman

Practically Family
bolthead said:
....but I'm afraid I have you beat. :D

I have 2 as a matter of fact.

One has an 1 1/4", and the other is 1 3/8".

If you want, I'll post them for ya? [huh]

Hey bolt, please do!

Wil, that lid looks great on you!

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Watchman hat....

It's amazing what a little or in this case a lot of cold water can do ... after I swapped out the ribbon & re-installed the lining I saturated the whole hat in cold water. I then put the cold wet hat on my head [what a man will do to reshape a hat..... sheesh!!] I then went to work pulling and stretching the front of the brim to get the cupping out. Viola & Presto, like magic it is gone! Judge for yourself ... I gave the crown a tight pinch & BTW the cold wet hat is still on my noggin.

IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0227.jpg
IMG_0228.jpg

whadda ya think .... not bad ehh? :D

----------------
Now playing: Thievery Corporation - Wires And Watchtowers (Feat Sista Pat)
via FoxyTunes

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
kneel before the stingy king

the last 3 are customs by Art

adamgottschalk said:

beggg5.jpg

begg3.jpg

Here's a shot of the wide ellipse crown. It needs to be blocked.

begg4.jpg

The cool ridges at the back of the sweat band make for an ultra comfortable fit.

tbinside1.jpg

tbinside2.jpg

adamgottschalk said:
I purchased from the Fedora Store this Beaver Brand Heritage stingy-brimmed bowler, in kangaroo color.

bbbowler1.jpg

Time from placing the order to the time I received the hat: 2 1/2 weeks--and Duane was even on vacation when I placed the order!

The hat is fab, exactly what I wanted and what I ordered. I said 23"--it fits me like a glove. I asked for no pin and no feather and that's what I got.

The quality of the felt is at least as good as that of my vintage fedoras, Borsalino, Beaver Brand, Cavanagh, and others. It's plush and supple, robust without being too stout or too flimsy. I love the color. I can't imagine many outfits with which it wouldn't work (okay, maybe it wouldn't go so well with black).

I've never worn a bowler/derby before. The moment I put this on, I could tell why this style was once the style for "everyman." It goes as well with formal attire as it does with a t-shirt :eek: I've never seen one with such a stingy brim (1 3/8" curled)--just my bag! Out and about, you notice the hat--I think of it as "boss"--but it also blends in with everyday life perfectly. I just love the plain, perfect, boxy crown.

All in all, I will gladly buy another Beaver Brand in future. And much respect must go to Duane and co. for running such a great operation, so dedicated to good service--and great hats! Beaver Brand is doing right by traditions of quality fur-felt American hats. Don't hesitate. Thanks, Duane! (Sorry I couldn't get more/better pictures...I rarely can track friends down to take my picture, so I'm stuck doing it alone, which. as many of you know, is not the easiest proposition in the world, at least not if you want a good photo...)

adamgottschalk said:
I don't have a shot of Art's stingy brown pork-pie, a thrilling hat that receives praise wherever I go. Here's the stingy Bourbon St:

teardrop1.jpg

teardrop2.jpg

adamgottschalk said:

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Nice lids Lefty!

those are very cool & you wear them well ... good info on what to look for when going vintage, which is basically what I always do. It's usually hit or miss but I get lucky sometimes with the more expensive purchases ... this one only cost me $15.00 including s/h :D

Wil Tam

Practically Family

bolthead said:
That Bowler has me beat.....:D

Lids2050.jpg
Lids2051.jpg

Lids2010.jpg
Lids2012.jpg

Those are some nice lids Bolt ... I just don't think I can get away with wearing one that has a curl like the one that was on the one & only that I had

jpbales

Practically Family
It looks nice!

Wil Tam said:

It's amazing what a little or in this case a lot of cold water can do ... after I swapped out the ribbon & re-installed the lining I saturated the whole hat in cold water. I then put the cold wet hat on my head [what a man will do to reshape a hat..... sheesh!!] I then went to work pulling and stretching the front of the brim to get the cupping out. Viola & Presto, like magic it is gone! Judge for yourself ... I gave the crown a tight pinch & BTW the cold wet hat is still on my noggin.

IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0227.jpg
IMG_0228.jpg

whadda ya think .... not bad ehh? :D

----------------
Now playing: Thievery Corporation - Wires And Watchtowers (Feat Sista Pat)
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran