Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
So...being bored and after a little wine I decided my premier Stratoliner needed a change. It just never has had the shape I like. The brim was either flanged off center or something. It always had the "Raiders turn" no matter what I did with it. Teed me off. I did like how the brim looked when it was up so after months of fighting with it, I finally went with it. I always admired the picture Tommy used for a long time in his avatar so narrow brim-up cattleman's crease it is for now on with this lid.

View attachment 45089 View attachment 45090 View attachment 45091
Brim up! Looks good.

So...being bored and after a little wine I decided my premier Stratoliner needed a change. It just never has had the shape I like. The brim was either flanged off center or something. It always had the "Raiders turn" no matter what I did with it. Teed me off. I did like how the brim looked when it was up so after months of fighting with it, I finally went with it. I always admired the picture Tommy used for a long time in his avatar so narrow brim-up cattleman's crease it is for now on with this lid.

View attachment 45089 View attachment 45090 View attachment 45091

I like it. It's very close to how I have my Resistol 25 shaped. Many here have an aversion to the cattleman crease, I don't.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
It's the mink. Personally I thought the cornhill was too light for my tastes
It does look a bit darker in the first picture. (My third Stetson Temple was a mink, a deep chocolate color. I wish I hadn't sold it.) In any case, yours is sharp, and I wish a company made OR-style hats in such a color. According to those catalogs of western outfitters that we see here, Stetson, Dobbs, and Resistol once offered their OR-style lids in silverbelly, as they do today, but often there were other colors -- usually some shade of tan -- available.

Mm25

One Too Many
Amazon had the silverbelly royal felt for around $115 last week. When it arrived I was not impressed with the ribbon attachment, looked like it was sewn on with plactic thread and the tag ends were about an inch long. It also sat just above the stich line on the hat. After massaging it a bit and trimming the excess strings, I'm happy with it for the cost , although it might be just a little pink in color.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Amazon had the silverbelly royal felt for around $115 last week. When it arrived I was not impressed with the ribbon attachment, looked like it was sewn on with plactic thread and the tag ends were about an inch long. It also sat just above the stich line on the hat. After massaging it a bit and trimming the excess strings, I'm happy with it for the cost , although it might be just a little pink in color.

I wish you had come here and done some research first... anything below the Premier is not worth buying in my opinion.

... anyway ... I'll show my modern Strat appreciation .
I happen to be wearing my Excellent quality Sage today

a0bb915f44a2068edd2858df70db7ddb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish you had come here and done some research first... anything below the Premier is not worth buying in my opinion.

... anyway ... I'll show my modern Strat appreciation .
I happen to be wearing my Excellent quality Sage today

a0bb915f44a2068edd2858df70db7ddb.jpg

That has to be one of the coolest looking modern Stetsons. I hope they keep coming up with some good ones.

foamy

A-List Customer
That's the one rag I have on modern Stetson's; The tack stitching is horrible. It's a crap shoot. Mr. Deckard, are you listening? Institute some flipping quality control!

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
I'm seriously considering a premier Strat in Cornhill. I've got a modern Royal in silverbelly and really want a vintage in brown as well, but can't ever afford the ones that come available in my size. I figure it would be a good compromise and they are currently pretty cheap on Amazon.

I'm seriously considering a premier Strat in Cornhill. I've got a modern Royal in silverbelly and really want a vintage in brown as well, but can't ever afford the ones that come available in my size. I figure it would be a good compromise and they are currently pretty cheap on Amazon.
The Premiere Strat is a good stand-in for a vintage one. I have mink & silverbelly & would've gotten a cornhill but already had a couple of clones close to that color. I sold a dark brown vintage Strat since I got this Excellent Strat. I have a vintage grey that isn't getting any noggin time in 7 5/8...

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
The Premiere Strat is a good stand-in for a vintage one. I have mink & silverbelly & would've gotten a cornhill but already had a couple of clones close to that color. I sold a dark brown vintage Strat since I got this Excellent Strat. I have a vintage grey that isn't getting any noggin time in 7 5/8...

Too bad that I'm a 7 1/4. There's a brown vintage on eBay, but it's over $300 with a damaged sweat band. $160 for the premier seems like a great bargain in contrast.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Too bad that I'm a 7 1/4. There's a brown vintage on eBay, but it's over $300 with a damaged sweat band. $160 for the premier seems like a great bargain in contrast.

not sure Amazon is the way to go

not something I would do when buying a quality hat

go through a reputable hat store

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael