Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Thanks for the tips. It is definable a gouge out of the felt:
View attachment 115218
Michael at one 2 mini Ranch Hats agreed to take it back for a refund. Unfortunately he did not have another to send me as a replacement. Anyone have a 7 1/2 Stratoliner silverbelly, or similar they want to move on let me know.
Thanks.
First lest me say sorry for your hat. If I where you I would return it to the retailer for a new hat.

Jeff

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
I'm still after a western that will flop like this in the wind.

Walking through Union Square in San Francisco last weekend, the wind was really howling down Post Street. Not a western hat, but my Stetson Bogie was flapping like that, both up and down. Is that a good thing in a Fedora? Was kinda driving me nuts.

Walking through Union Square in San Francisco last weekend, the wind was really howling down Post Street. Not a western hat, but my Stetson Bogie was flapping like that, both up and down. Is that a good thing in a Fedora? Was kinda driving me nuts.
I don't really know if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I'd rather have the brim flap than have the hat fly off of my head and have to chase it down the street. ;)

My Stetsonians (as do my Strats) do that in a heavy wind.........always reminds me I am wearing a hat.....and it means you are wearing a good soft fedora!
M;)

What did you pay at Hatco? Was it the standard 50% off retail?

If I tell you what I paid, you'll stab yourself in the foot with a fork out of frustration.

Mine was actually a factory second, as there's a little goof in the brim binding. Nobody, including me, ever notices, though.

OK, I paid $75.

Here's a bandage...

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Ouch! Great price! Sounds like you get up there more than I. Let me just say that you have a standing order from me if you find another Strat of that caliber and price at Hatco before I do! My daughter is up there and can pick it up and pay you. PM me if you find something and/or I can give you my cell no.

If I tell you what I paid, you'll stab yourself in the foot with a fork out of frustration.

Mine was actually a factory second, as there's a little goof in the brim binding. Nobody, including me, ever notices, though.

OK, I paid $75.

Here's a bandage...

Ouch! Great price! Sounds like you get up there more than I. Let me just say that you have a standing order from me if you find another Strat of that caliber and price at Hatco before I do! My daughter is up there and can pick it up and pay you. PM me if you find something and/or I can give you my cell no.

No, this was bought by phone after a tip from a buddy who calls them periodically looking for hats. They can be very responsive by phone.

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to write up a little review of my new Stratoliner purchased over the weekend, to give anyone thinking about purchasing one a nudge.

I went to Nashville and was looking forward to stopping into Hatwrks to try on a variety of hats.

In my current hat arsenal are pretty basic standards for a new hatophile:
  • Akubra Bushman and Heritage grade Campdrafts in Cedar Brown, Moonstone, Tan
  • Stetson Open Road 6x in dark Chocolate
  • Open Road Royal Deluxe in Caribou and Sage
  • Hemp Stratoliner
  • Various other options but you get the idea of my frame of reference
I have been really pleased with how my OR Royal Deluxes have held up in bad weather. The Akubras are bulletproof but the difference between the Moonstone and the Cedar Brown are astromical. The Moonstone is delightfully soft, smooth and pliable...it's attention to detail is superb, and the color is uniform and beautiful. The Cedar Brown is much different, has a different flange, and feels almost, dare I say, a tiny bit cardboard-ish. It's an OK hat, I like it, but it's not a "favorite"- and I'm head over heels for the moonstone... Anyways;

I had no plans on buying a hat on my trip to Hatwrks but my wife had other ideas...I just wanted to stop in, but the Royal grade Stratoliner felt shockingly awesome. It was one of the nicest hats I've felt, and I was comparing it to others in the shop that are much nicer... This Stratoliner was stellar. The felt was so soft and smooth. I loved the Walnut color too. The Campdraft has a much boxier taper than the Strat, but I actually really liked the taper of the strat. My wife liked it so much she said had to buy it for me, wouldn't take no for an answer! :)

I cringed at paying so much for a Strat but I fell in love with it. It doesn't make a bold statement and I mean that in a good way. We were happy to be able to support a local business and a small hatter even if it meant paying a little more... and who knows if I ordered a different one if it would be similar...probably not.

So... I guess I was on the fence about ordering a strat bc of some of the negative things I've read, but honestly, I really like it and that's all that matters, so if you're on the fence, go for it, go try one on. Maybe you'll find a keeper.

(As an aside... I play mandolin in a bluegrass band and I totally nerd out on high end mandolins... If you think the differences in hat quality are frustrating, it's the same in the mandolin/fiddle world. Even among top builders charging $5,000 - $20,000 for a mandolin the same exact makes and models vary greatly! I make trips to play various instruments and it's shocking... A few builders have reputations for being consistent, but for the most part, it's really hard to order online on reputation alone... so I'm always amused reading about the similarities in the hat world. Just like my two campdrafts being so different.)

Last edited:
Just wanted to write up a little review of my new Stratoliner purchased over the weekend, to give anyone thinking about purchasing one a nudge.

I went to Nashville and was looking forward to stopping into Hatwrks to try on a variety of hats.

In my current hat arsenal are pretty basic standards for a new hatophile:
  • Akubra Bushman and Heritage grade Campdrafts in Cedar Brown, Moonstone, Tan
  • Stetson Open Road 6x in dark Chocolate
  • Open Road Royal Deluxe in Caribou and Sage
  • Hemp Stratoliner
  • Various other options but you get the idea of my frame of reference
I have been really pleased with how my OR Royal Deluxes have held up in bad weather. The Akubras are bulletproof but the difference between the Moonstone and the Cedar Brown are astromical. The Moonstone is delightfully soft, smooth and pliable...it's attention to detail is superb, and the color is uniform and beautiful. The Cedar Brown is much different, has a different flange, and feels almost, dare I say, a tiny bit cardboard-ish. It's an OK hat, I like it, but it's not a "favorite"- and I'm head over heels for the moonstone... Anyways;

I had no plans on buying a hat on my trip to Hatwrks but my wife had other ideas...I just wanted to stop in, but the Royal grade Stratoliner felt shockingly awesome. It was one of the nicest hats I've felt, and I was comparing it to others in the shop that are much nicer... This Stratoliner was stellar. The felt was so soft and smooth. I loved the Walnut color too. The Campdraft has a much boxier taper than the Strat, but I actually really liked the taper of the strat. My wife liked it so much she said had to buy it for me, wouldn't take no for an answer! :)

I cringed at paying so much for a Strat but I fell in love with it. It doesn't make a bold statement and I mean that in a good way. We were happy to be able to support a local business and a small hatter even if it meant paying a little more... and who knows if I ordered a different one if it would be similar...probably not.

So... I guess I was on the fence about ordering a strat bc of some of the negative things I've read, but honestly, I really like it and that's all that matters, so if you're on the fence, go for it, go try one on. Maybe you'll find a keeper.

(As an aside... I play mandolin in a bluegrass band and I totally nerd out on high end mandolins... If you think the differences in hat quality are frustrating, it's the same in the mandolin/fiddle world. Even among top builders charging $5,000 - $20,000 for a mandolin the same exact makes and models vary greatly! I make trips to play various instruments and it's shocking... A few builders have reputations for being consistent, but for the most part, it's really hard to order online on reputation alone... so I'm always amused reading about the similarities in the hat world. Just like my two campdrafts being so different.)

I’m happy that you found one you like. I’ve yet to feel one of the Royals that I cared for. The Royal DeLuxe is another story.

The problem for me is that we can get custom made hats starting around $200 so the value for price with new hats is hard to justify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
Sorry if I've posted this here (I checked my history as best I know how) but a few months ago I bought my first Strat. I love it! It's very soft and luxuriant-feeling to me... but then, I'm a hat newbie.

Picked it up on Ebay, here's the photo from the listing showing how it looked when I got it
nUuOPYt.jpg

Here's post-bash, IMHO a big improvement

Is64fxW.jpg

Here it is worn. I love it!

KfTnVRa.jpg

One question: Cornhill is evidently no longer made. I saw a Stetson in "taupe", did they ever make Strats in taupe? Thanks!

TunedVWGti

One of the Regulars
Sorry if I've posted this here (I checked my history as best I know how) but a few months ago I bought my first Strat. I love it! It's very soft and luxuriant-feeling to me... but then, I'm a hat newbie.

Picked it up on Ebay, here's the photo from the listing showing how it looked when I got it
nUuOPYt.jpg

Here's post-bash, IMHO a big improvement

Is64fxW.jpg

Here it is worn. I love it!

KfTnVRa.jpg

One question: Cornhill is evidently no longer made. I saw a Stetson in "taupe", did they ever make Strats in taupe? Thanks!
Looks great!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran