Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Appreciation Club {MODERN}

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I posted in “Ask a Question” if anyone had a walnut Stratoliner with a black ribbon. Every picture I have seen of the walnut Stratoliner what’s a brown ribbon to match the edge binding. I kind of like it, but I was expecting a matching ribbon and edge binding. Does anyone else have a Stratoliner in this color combination?

Sale picture:
857BA5AB-5D89-41F0-8795-CF32BD674F0B.jpeg

Actual pictures:
937F356B-F1E4-40F1-BFFD-58D40F35D703.jpeg

9232D5EA-F4EE-43BE-8A42-AA51091EB1E4.jpeg

Steven

I posted in “Ask a Question” if anyone had a walnut Stratoliner with a black ribbon. Every picture I have seen of the walnut Stratoliner what’s a brown ribbon to match the edge binding. I kind of like it, but I was expecting a matching ribbon and edge binding. Does anyone else have a Stratoliner in this color combination?

Sale picture:
View attachment 238050
Actual pictures:
View attachment 238052
View attachment 238053

Steven

It's brand new, right? Seems odd unless it's a second.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
It's brand new, right? Seems odd unless it's a second.
It’s new, has factory tags And box. I found the same color combination at Fashionable Hats

https://www.fashionablehats.com/stetson-stratoliner-soft-fur-felt-fedora-hat.html?v=9564&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5ZPE2JnV6QIVCZezCh3b2wZuEAQYASABEgKnS_D_BwE

I guess there must be more out there than just mine. I thought about sending it back but I have decided to keep it.

Fashionable Hats walnut Stratoliner with a black ribbon:
6918E18D-F645-4469-9933-5FDEA222927A.jpeg

Steven

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Yes. Although Strats generally match, I like a contrasting thin ribbon.
I just wasn’t sure about the contrasting ribbon at first, but it grew on me rather quick.

Me too......I have seen a few OR's (apparently from the 60's 70's) set up like that that I really liked!

I agree, the ribbon treatment while different than most Stratoliner’s presents well.

Steven

M Brown

A-List Customer
After a couple of years of hoping I'd find a Stratoliner in my size and preferred color at the Stetson/Resistol Factory Outlet Store, which is only a few miles away, I have finally given up the quest and hopes of saving some money ( they sell for $79 at the Outlet Store ) and ordered a new one from Stetson.

My color preference is Natural, BTW, and I've been on a wait list for one in my size to become available. Got the email on Sunday and placed the order.

Now, if the supply chain will just get moving, it might show up one day soon.
Based on my last direct order, the hat will probably ship from Colorado. So it has to go from Texas to Colorado then back to Texas. Seems like a lot of shipping around the country considering the factory where it's made is less than 30 miles away.

After a couple of years of hoping I'd find a Stratoliner in my size and preferred color at the Stetson/Resistol Factory Outlet Store, which is only a few miles away, I have finally given up the quest and hopes of saving some money ( they sell for $79 at the Outlet Store ) and ordered a new one from Stetson.

My color preference is Natural, BTW, and I've been on a wait list for one in my size to become available. Got the email on Sunday and placed the order.

Now, if the supply chain will just get moving, it might show up one day soon.
Based on my last direct order, the hat will probably ship from Colorado. So it has to go from Texas to Colorado then back to Texas. Seems like a lot of shipping around the country considering the factory where it's made is less than 30 miles away.

Which version of the Stratoliner did you order?

Have you tried the factory store in Missouri? It used to be that the Texas store had more westerns but the Missouri store had more fedoras. I haven’t called them for a few years now so maybe things have changed?

FFE3C5FB-7345-4015-9272-030D9B8F6012.jpeg
5737459D-4F38-40DD-99FE-DC18E123BDD5.jpeg

M Brown

A-List Customer
Which version of the Stratoliner did you order?

Have you tried the factory store in Missouri? It used to be that the Texas store had more westerns but the Missouri store had more fedoras. I haven’t called them for a few years now so maybe things have changed?

I ordered the blocked Strat in Natural. The store in Garland, Tx next door to the fatory has a huge inventory and usually quite a lot of fedoras. But the western styles probably make up 2/3 of the stock, split between felt and straw. Each time I've been there they've had maybe a couple of hundred fedoras...all styles, models, in both fur and wool felts. I came across a nice caribou gray Strat while there but the size was 7 3/4, way too big for me. It was priced at $79. And when you buy two, you get the 2nd one at $39.

View attachment 377158 View attachment 377159

Scooterz

Practically Family
A trip to the outlet in Garland resulted in a new Ultralight Stratoliner in Grey Mix. It is a nice thin felt with no liner and a cloth sweat. I think it will be wearable in a little bit warmer weather then my other modern Strats. I have only seen these online and was intrigued by the idea of a playboy-like strat. No idea how much if any fur is in it, but, it looks like some rabbit inside the crown. It is much thinner than any wool hat I have seen, so maybe there is some fur in there? StratUL1.jpg
ULstrat5.jpg StratUL2.jpg StratUL3.jpg
The brim is a little wavy (may be why it was at the outlet) but is not really an issue when I am wearing it and turn the front. Interestingly I can turn down the front and back and keep the sides slightly curled up. It is very lightweight.

thatguykeek

New in Town
A trip to the outlet in Garland resulted in a new Ultralight Stratoliner in Grey Mix. It is a nice thin felt with no liner and a cloth sweat. I think it will be wearable in a little bit warmer weather then my other modern Strats. I have only seen these online and was intrigued by the idea of a playboy-like strat. No idea how much if any fur is in it, but, it looks like some rabbit inside the crown. It is much thinner than any wool hat I have seen, so maybe there is some fur in there? View attachment 381090
View attachment 381093 View attachment 381091 View attachment 381092
The brim is a little wavy (may be why it was at the outlet) but is not really an issue when I am wearing it and turn the front. Interestingly I can turn down the front and back and keep the sides slightly curled up. It is very lightweight.
Fantastic Stratoliner. In fact I have the same exact one and I love it. I wasn't so sure I would until I started wearing it. It is Featherlite and super comfortable. I had a similar wavy brim issue with my other Stratoliner. I think it's common, but I did work on it with the steam. And for the most part it looks much better. Enjoy that hat!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I've been neglecting my fedora style hats recently, but pulled this one out of its box for some variety. This is my replacement Premier Stratoliner that was dispatched to me direct from the factory (thank you Mr. Deckard!). The hat I originally received from DelMonico was from a batch mistakenly made from the Royal quality bodies intended for the pre-creased model. This one has "prototype" on the inner label. I've mostly kept this hat safe from the elements and consequently it still looks pretty fresh. It also feels like the stiffener has loosened up a bit, so the felt feels a little bit more closer to vintage. The felt does a good job of conforming. Almost a little too good, the pinch has drifted a bit from the center of my face because I usually give a quick tug down on my left (count me in the Sinatra 'angles are attitude' camp). Now I've gotta be extra sure to plop it down centered on my head to correct it. Anyway, this is just a post in appreciation of a very nice modern Stetson.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Regular lurker, but with nothing to contribute, I haven't posted in ages. I always watch for this thread and finally ordered a Stratoliner in natural.

I really like the hat, but I'm disappointed in the sizing and need some advice, seeing as I'm not very experienced with proper hats.

I did all the correct measuring and even printed a device from an online site. I have a Stormy Kromer cap that should confirm I am 7-3/8s.

This Strat in 7-3/8s is floppy loose. I am experimenting with foam, but it seems like it could take too much to make it fit and it sure doesn't seem to be an elegant solution, as it becomes uncomfortable with a very rippled sweatband.

The kicker is, I ordered a 7-1/4 as well and that fits pretty tight. Tight enough that it probably won't be comfortable for too long.

Should there be that much difference between these two sizes? Something doesn't seem accurate. Will the sweatband shrink up and get even tighter over time (which would be a deal breaker) or do they stretch out some?

I'm not sure which to keep or if I should send both of them back and give up on the model altogether.

Either way, I sure am enjoying everyone's Stratoliners in this thread and would like to have one, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards at this point.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Regular lurker, but with nothing to contribute, I haven't posted in ages. I always watch for this thread and finally ordered a Stratoliner in natural.

I really like the hat, but I'm disappointed in the sizing and need some advice, seeing as I'm not very experienced with proper hats.

I did all the correct measuring and even printed a device from an online site. I have a Stormy Kromer cap that should confirm I am 7-3/8s.

This Strat in 7-3/8s is floppy loose. I am experimenting with foam, but it seems like it could take too much to make it fit and it sure doesn't seem to be an elegant solution, as it becomes uncomfortable with a very rippled sweatband.

The kicker is, I ordered a 7-1/4 as well and that fits pretty tight. Tight enough that it probably won't be comfortable for too long.

Should there be that much difference between these two sizes? Something doesn't seem accurate. Will the sweatband shrink up and get even tighter over time (which would be a deal breaker) or do they stretch out some?

I'm not sure which to keep or if I should send both of them back and give up on the model altogether.

Either way, I sure am enjoying everyone's Stratoliners in this thread and would like to have one, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards at this point.

AndyR; If I understand your question tonight would you not wish to procure a 7 2/4" ?
7 1/8 = tight< x < 7 3/8 = too loose.

Trick question? Am I not understanding something very simple?

I have had the sweatbands on the modern Stetson Stratoliner Staw hats shrink over the past couple summers. I can not comment on the modern felt Stratoliner.

Cheers, Eric -

AndyR

One of the Regulars
No, it is the 7 1/4 that is too small and the next size up (7 3/8) is too big. There is no in between.

Yeah, it is that possibility of shrinking that concerns me about the one that's a bit too snug. Thanks for letting me know.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Just to follow up and let you know, a funny thing happened on the way to returning my Stratoliners. I got my hair cut (well, I cut it myself) and I tried on the hats. It turns out that the smaller one (7 1/4) is the correct size with no foam at all.

The 7 3/8 was just too big and needed too much foam. Too bad, because it was the nicer hat. The smaller one I kept has a few minor issues that I will fix. I shouldn't have to, but oh well. It's not a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko