Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yes, plastic liners generally started showing up in the 50's, no earlier. There is a Dating Stetson by Size Tag thread in the "important hat forum threads" sticky at the top of the forum which will likely aid in dating it. Off the top of my head, I'd wager fedoracentric is right.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Hi, I know this is a 'Vintage' Stratoliner thread but I have just bought a modern version and was wondering what are the differences between the two. Mine, made by Stetson, looks identical to the vintage hats in the pictures, it is also fur felt and has a little aircraft pin stuck in the band. Mine is a light grey colour.
If you are ever in Niagara on the Lake, Canada, pop into the Beauchapeau hat shop, they have stacks of them plus many other styles.
J

Hello,
I am new to this site but I thought someone here might know about the age of an old Stetson hat I have. It is a Royal Stetson Stratoliner, 3X beaver quality, I know it is old just from looking at the size tag it appears to be made of paper or cardboard and reads Stetson 3/8. I got this at an estate sale for $10 which I know is a great deal but I was wondering how old it is and how much it might be worth, if anyone has any thoughts or knows of a good resource for finding this type of information I would appreciate the help, thanks

I think somebody has put a 3X liner in a Royal Stetson Stratoliner.
Strats came in Royal Stetson & Royal Deluxe but I have never seen or heard of a 3X plus the sweatband would have 3X instead of Royal Stetson as well.
Nice snag at the estate sale regardless.

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
thank you to all for the information, sounds like someone replaced the original liner with a generic Stetson liner, any idea what that does to the value of the hat?

thank you to all for the information, sounds like someone replaced the original liner with a generic Stetson liner, any idea what that does to the value of the hat?

If it is a model of Strat that had no liner, absolutely nothing.
A tip sticker in the top of the crown would make it more valuable if it was one of those.
You could try to find a Royal Stetson liner from the same period but not sure that is going to do anything for you.
Are you looking to keep it & wear it or sell it?

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Hello,
I guess it depends on how much it is worth. It is a 7 3/8 and I wear a 7 1/2 so it is a little snug. I can wear it, but I figured if it is worth a lot of money I might sell it and look for another hat in my size. I do have an old open road style hat that is a 7 1/2 and a couple of other old Stetsons, so I do have some other hats to wear for now. I have seen Stratoliners going for around $200 on ebay, if its worth that much I would probably try to sell it. Thanks for the information.

Hello,
I guess it depends on how much it is worth. It is a 7 3/8 and I wear a 7 1/2 so it is a little snug. I can wear it, but I figured if it is worth a lot of money I might sell it and look for another hat in my size. I do have an old open road style hat that is a 7 1/2 and a couple of other old Stetsons, so I do have some other hats to wear for now. I have seen Stratoliners going for around $200 on ebay, if its worth that much I would probably try to sell it. Thanks for the information.

It is worth exactly what somebody will pay for it & not a cent more.
Floating it on the Bay will depend on who is out trolling for Strats of that size.
Looking at the reed of the sweatband, it has some experience on it but it is a good color.
Stretching a 7 3/8 up a size to 7 1/2 is not unheard of, takes some training but doable if you want a wearer.
Finding a good one at 7 1/2 most likely will cost you more than what this one will bring.

theoldnorthwest

Familiar Face
Thanks,
I had it stretched at a local hat store and it fit perfect for about a day and then it shrunk back down. Is there any way of permanently stretching it or would I have to buy my own stretcher? The thing they had at the store was a big metal thing and looked expensive. Thanks again.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A band block would work well. Basically a piece of wood in the shape of your head that you pop into the hat at the sweatband area to maintain the shape. It follows the same concept as shoe trees. I know Art Fawcett sells these and there's probably other places you could get them as well.

Thanks,
I had it stretched at a local hat store and it fit perfect for about a day and then it shrunk back down. Is there any way of permanently stretching it or would I have to buy my own stretcher? The thing they had at the store was a big metal thing and looked expensive. Thanks again.

That is what I sort of meant by training = stretching & re-stretching.
I have some HatJack stretchers as well as some vintage hat stretchers, not the big metal one you mentioned but I do have one of those.
Even with lots of hats my size, I don't see how I can go without hat stretchers. You wear them, you sweat on the sweatband = you need to stretch them....repeat....
Band block is a good investment whether you are up-sizing or just maintaining. Wearing nice hats is a serious undertaking & investment....;)

Gregorian

New in Town
Hello, I am relatively new to hats.
I have a vintage Stratoliner with no liner or no sticker on the top of the inside.

Did Stetson make Stratoliner's like this or is it just missing the liner?
Thank you in advance.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
We've got a thread for that, Rocketeer. There are differences - whether they are important to you is something only you can determine.

Agree that Beauchapeau is a fun shop in a lovely town that we visit frequently.

Thanks for the link:), doubt I would have found it as was waaaaay down in the pages.
Funny how many older guys in the town gave me a second look, maybe thinking they wished they had bought something similar than the 'ball cap' they were wearing.

Now I'll have to look for a real one at a 'vintage' clothes fair rather than the dreaded eBay(and just get out bidded so many times)
J

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Blue Stratoliner

P1070462.JPG P1070463.jpg P1070464.jpg P1070468.jpg

Full size 5-3/4" x 2-3/4"+ but not all that light weight. Surprisingly well finished felt for a Royal level. Has wind chord. Rare case where the seller said hat was gray-looked gray in photos but turned out blue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff