Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

srserl

New in Town
I recently bought this standard quality Equador palm 3.5in open crown hat. It was very easy to crease when wet. The cloth sweat is very comfortable and holds better in the wind than the cloth sweat in my panama hat. This hat is a very good value...I may have to get a fine quality one next in a smaller brim width and shape the brim more fedora style.

Landman

One Too Many
Nice job on creasing your hat. I like to buy the 3" Fine Guatemalan Palm Open Crowns. The weave is a little denser and holds a crease better I think. Mine seem to be whiter than the standard Guatemalan palm too. That seems to be the perfect brim size for me. I can make them into either a fedora or western type hat very easy. Sunbody Hats are one of the best deals going for good, sturdy straw hats.

Parsa

New in Town
Custom Sunbody — mod of a Classy Lassie

I had a Sunbody hat made custom for me through a great gal who goes by the moniker "Sassy Teton Lady." I believe she does competitive shooting, if it's the same lady. Her online shop is now closed, but I thought you'd like to see the hat. I wanted one that resembled an authentic, late 19th century, southwestern ranch hat, but in fiber instead of felt. I wanted a wide brim and wide leather lacing, which was added by the cow pokes to keep the brim in shape when exposed to the elements like the one shown on this page. I got a hat with the rather embarrassing name of Classy Lassie, and modded it this way:
Classy Lassy Wide Lace (hclasa2), size 7-5/8
Low crown
4" brim
wide brown lacing (can be as wide as the "Moab" if possible)
5 strand horsehair hatband, Pattern 3 (bhh05-3, brown-black-natural) [substituted in place of 3 strand band]
Horse Hair Stampede Strings w/ Pins, Solid Brown (sshh501-brown) [installed]
Open crown, unshaped (no need for creases, dents, or pencil rolls)​
Here are some pics after bashing and without the Stampede Strings:
Sunbody_Varner_custom_1s.jpg
Sunbody_Varner_custom_2s.jpg
Sunbody_Varner_custom_3s.jpg

coble

A-List Customer
Does anyone wear a Sunbody Open Crown Hat?

Tons of people wear them as open crown including myself. I'm also an employee who is over all the shipping and receiving if that helps. I recommend all our open crowns except 5c because 5c is really tall unless you like tall crowns. I hope that helps.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Here's an open crown Sunbody. Then again it is a derby, after all. I think it works, but sometimes I feel like it looks a little bulky on my own head.

001pcg.jpg

Here's mine, used mostly as an outdoor work hat now. When I got it a few yrs ago I learned firsthand about the miracles of steam by wearing it while sitting in a hot tub for too long. After the brim started to get droopy I was able to block & curl the brim & add the Gus crease. It is starting to crack out now along one of the pinches where I grab it all the time but it has served me well.

10qe154.jpg

5xl8d0.jpg

It looks good!

I've dunked mine several times in a rain barrel or stock tank when out mowing on a real hot day, & it has always held its shape.

Reactions: RJR

RBH

Bartender
This last year has been a long one for me.
I lost my job after 28 years.... spent most of last summer working in an Ag related job.
And now am working for the State.
And that brings me to now....
The State allows us to wear a brimmed hat as long as the hat band with the logo is present.
And that brings me to Sunbody hats....you cant beat them for durability and they look good!
After having known Jimmy Pryor for several years.
{here is a photo of us from the Denver Market 3 years ago}
a6upatub.jpg

I spoke with him on the phone last week.
I ordered the Fine Palm Derby in open crown with 2 1/2 brim.
derby_1000.jpg

Here is my hat with the first 'crease'... it is a work in progress.

T975ut.jpg

Jimmy and the folks at Sunbody are FIRST CLASS! Give them a try.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, RBH. I'm a big fan of Sunbody, and their 3-inch brim fedora is my go-to hat, especially fishing down in the Keys. Would you happen to know which hat Jimmy's wearing in the photo? Also, one thing I wish they'd do is come out with the 3-inch in the oak-colored straw. Great hats, though, and you can't beat their prices. Cheers.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Hey, RBH. I'm a big fan of Sunbody, and their 3-inch brim fedora is my go-to hat, especially fishing down in the Keys. Would you happen to know which hat Jimmy's wearing in the photo? Also, one thing I wish they'd do is come out with the 3-inch in the oak-colored straw. Great hats, though, and you can't beat their prices. Cheers.

Photos!

IMG_5058_zpsbcg803fx.jpg

IMG_5063_zpskdtezpp8.jpg

IMG_5056%20Guide_zpsr8mde8lu.jpg

SunBodyJim

New in Town
This last year has been a long one for me.
I lost my job after 28 years.... spent most of last summer working in an Ag related job.
And now am working for the State.
And that brings me to now....
The State allows us to wear a brimmed hat as long as the hat band with the logo is present.
And that brings me to Sunbody hats....you cant beat them for durability and they look good!
After having known Jimmy Pryor for several years.
{here is a photo of us from the Denver Market 3 years ago}
a6upatub.jpg

I spoke with him on the phone last week.
I ordered the Fine Palm Derby in open crown with 2 1/2 brim.
derby_1000.jpg

Here is my hat with the first 'crease'... it is a work in progress.

T975ut.jpg

Jimmy and the folks at Sunbody are FIRST CLASS! Give them a try.
Thanks, RB! We like your style, as do a lot of our customers.

Reactions: RBH

SunBodyJim

New in Town
I'm wearing the 3" brim fine palm teardrop with brown leather band (hg3f+TD+b58brown). It's almost become my trademark.

Yeah, a 3" brim oak would be nice, but we've got so many hat bodies we've run out of places to put them. We have a 2-1/2" brim oak, and you can have us cut down a 4" brim and bind the edge.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm wearing the 3" brim fine palm teardrop with brown leather band (hg3f+TD+b58brown). It's almost become my trademark.

Yeah, a 3" brim oak would be nice, but we've got so many hat bodies we've run out of places to put them. We have a 2-1/2" brim oak, and you can have us cut down a 4" brim and bind the edge.

Hi, SBJ. Thanks, and I'll be giving you a call very soon.

Scooterz

Practically Family

Hey. I have short-brimed sunbody that I like, I think it is the fine mexican palm based on brim measurement. I think I would like a teardrop fedora with 2.5 inch brim but I can't find any photos of someone wearing one. A local shop has something similar but it has a wide band and the crown is kinda tall and it looks almost like an Amish hat. Not crazy about that one but I cannot tell what it is for sure since there is not a model number or name on the hat anywhere. Can you take photos of someone in the 2.5 inch teardrop or post a link to some. Thanks.

The summers here in southern California seem to be getting hotter every year, so I'm giving serious consideration to getting my first straw hat when finances permit. Since I started wearing hats for sun protection, my first thoughts ran to Sunbody; so far the front runner is their 2-1/2 in brim Oak-Colored Tear Drop made from their standard Guatemalan palm. But before I pull that trigger, I have a few questions that I'm hoping those of you who have experience with Sunbody hats can answer because I'd rather hear from people with practical experience than someone from the company who is trying to make a sale.

Sizing. My head measures so close to 60 cm (regular oval) that the difference isn't worth mentioning. Normally I'd order a size 7-1/2, but having read through this thread it seems the prevalent wisdom is to order a 7-5/8, soak the hat, and wear it as it dries so that the sweatband shrinks a little and the hat conforms to my head. Is this correct?

Shaping. Is it difficult to re-shape one of their pre-shaped crowns? It wouldn't be anything drastic--tighten the pinch a little, maybe widen the teardrop a bit.

Brim. Are the brims really as flat as they appear to be in the photos on Sunbody's website? If they are, is it possible to give them a little upward curl on the back and sides? Again, nothing drastic, just a little shaping so it's not completely flat.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk