Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Type A2 Flight Jacket Identification Manual

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I went American Classics for the launch of Gary Eastman's A2 book and spent over an hour chatting to Gary about his book and other things. Naturally I bought the book, which Gary researched, wrote and took the photos and had privately published. The book is excellent value. It represents the culmination of thirty years collecting A2s during which he has spent a small fortune on originals. He has been to the States quite a few times to undertake archival research.

The book is really the A2 "bible" for the serious collector. There is significant new information in it. For example the heavy use of steer hide by several contractors (proven by recent DNA analysis), the size and dates of contracts and information on the makers of A1 jackets as well as all the A2 contractors. The book is illustrated with photos of jackets in Gary's collection and he has at least one example of every contract! First impressions are it is an excellent book and will be an invaluable reference source on A2s for years to come.

Here is a Gary signing a copy earlier this evening.

P1100857.jpg

majormajor

One Too Many
Excellent stuff.

I couldn't make it down there, but the order will definitely be going in:D;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
On the Lounge topic link about Jon Maguire and A2 collectors it states the book will be available 'on line', does that mean a Kindle version ?

Foster

One of the Regulars
Looks like my library needs a new volume, and this is it!
I am curious how extensive the use of steer hide was n the wartime contracts. For this and answers to many other questions in my mind, I am sure to be getting a copy.

Edward

Bartender
I hope to afford one of these in the New Year. Interesting the steerhide rumour has now been confirmed.

aswatland

Looks like my library needs a new volume, and this is it!
I am curious how extensive the use of steer hide was n the wartime contracts. For this and answers to many other questions in my mind, I am sure to be getting a copy.

Steer was used extensively by several Wartime contractors, which is what I had suspected for years. With this book we now have the proof.

aswatland

Don't get me started on that one Edward... ;-)
Andrew is currently researching said tome...

True. A similar format to Gary's book may be the way to go. The issue is tracking down the original contract documents in the National Archives. Unfortunately we were not as diligent as the Americans in preserving our flying jacket contract documents.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
True. A similar format to Gary's book may be the way to go. The issue is tracking down the original contract documents in the National Archives. Unfortunately we were not as diligent as the Americans in preserving our flying jacket contract documents.

The small matter of a blitz might have had something to do with it...

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Steer was used extensively by several Wartime contractors, which is what I had suspected for years. With this book we now have the proof.
In that other thread where everyone was weighing their jackets, I was going to put that I was having a DNA analysis done on my jacket to certify:

Leather type, horse, sheep, cow, bull etc.
Breed, Marino, Guernsey, Sahelian, Azteca.
Sex of animal.
Date of Birth.
Date of Death.
Cutting and manufactured date.

Ok, a bit tongue in cheek but it appears someone somewhere probably has done this:eeek:

Foster

One of the Regulars
If those parameters could be determined, then surely they could also determine the date of issue, and the unit the jacket was issued to, right?

aswatland

The manual contains the dates of issue of all the contracts, the cost of each jacket in terms of making it (the leather and hardware was all sourced by the War Dept.) and the size of each contract.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The manual contains the dates of issue of all the contracts, the cost of each jacket in terms of making it (the leather and hardware was all sourced by the War Dept.) and the size of each contract.
Go on the Andrew, give us a teaser. How much was an average jacket to make in wartime and what would that relate to today.
Cheers, John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24