Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Upcoming BISON Jacket !!

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
hey guys;

I am thinking about getting a jacket made in heavy Bison leather ! My two main options are the 5oz heavy Bison from Johnson Leathers or the Chromexcel Horween Bison from Simmons Bilt.

I love my leathers to be Heavy and Thick but also want them to have some color variations and depth !

I am not sure if the CXL Horween Bison can be obtained in heavy 5 oz from Simmons.

What do you guys think ? Anyone handled bisons from both JL an Horween ?

samo

One of the Regulars
SB offer two option black and brown. The thickness of my samples was approximatelly 3.5 oz. From my perspective black is simply superior as it is dyed almost through the hide. Regarding the thickness I suggest You to ask what they can offer as there could be quite a lot variances inbetween the hides? The thickest leather they have to offer is Kudu which runs close to 6 oz, but has quite different appereance as other hides.
Regarding the Johnsons leathers I am shure that other members can help You.

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
SB offer two option black and brown. The thickness of my samples was approximatelly 3.5 oz. From my perspective black is simply superior as it is dyed almost through the hide. Regarding the thickness I suggest You to ask what they can offer as there could be quite a lot variances inbetween the hides? The thickest leather they have to offer is Kudu which runs close to 6 oz, but has quite different appereance as other hides.
Regarding the Johnsons leathers I am shure that other members can help You.

thanks samo ! I have emailed SL but also wanted to get opinions from people here who have seen samples from both JL and SL. I hope Horween can supply a more thicker Bison like maybe around 5 oz !! Having it in CXL would be awesome !

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've seen a swatch of the brown bison Johnson uses and was impressed with the color. I believe it was Horween.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I have a JL 50s Car Coat on order in 3.5 oz black bison hide, it should arrive in around 2 weeks. I will post pictures then.

I have seen pictures of a black bison SB Detroit jacket here on this forum which looked amazing, see here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...r-Leathers-Detroit-in-Horween-Bison-PIC-HEAVY

May I ask why you want your leather 2mm thick? It's a big bulk of leather that will look stiff and fall strangely when standing still and will look nothing but awkward as soon as you are in motion and the leather bulks up, at say the shoulders, IMHO. Besides, 5 oz can offer you no protection from nothing which 3.5 oz couldnt and both will last for life.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero does an amazing blue-black bison. Edward's got a jacket made from it - stunning stuff and very heavy. I think it's blue over-dyed with black, so it's very subtle.

Mickey Bowtie

New in Town
I have a AL Halfbelt made from black Horween Bison and it is a substantial jacket. The leather is very nice and grainy, but I found that for me it is just too heavy, so that it sat in the closet most of the time. I am currently pondering selling it.

But as you said that you like your jacket heavy, this will certainly fit the bill.

I'll try and post pictures tonight.

Cheers,

Roma

A-List Customer
I have a AL Halfbelt made from black Horween Bison and it is a substantial jacket. The leather is very nice and grainy, but I found that for me it is just too heavy, so that it sat in the closet most of the time. I am currently pondering selling it.

But as you said that you like your jacket heavy, this will certainly fit the bill.

Cheers,
Mickey, would be great to check them out.

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars

Cheers,

Agreed, Mickey ! Would love to see the pics !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner