Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The very *pink* of perfection!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've just read this article...
It said:
“So they think, for example, that what makes someone female is having long hair and a dress,’’

..and that is EXACTLY what I'm fighting against every single day.
Dress.. yes.
Long hair? What if I can not grow my hair long?????

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
hayley6.png

Hayley Mills perfect pink outfit in The Moon-Spinners http://scathingly-brilliant.blogspot.com

vintageTink

One Too Many
The sad thing is, I used to HATE pink and any pastels. But now I love them! I guess it kind of switched when I decided a few years ago (I'm 31 now) that I was going to start being more feminine. You know, wearing makeup (which I still don't do, but that's because I don't have any but that will hopefully soon be remedied) and more dresses and skirts. I learned how to sew a couple years ago and now I make vintage repros. ;)

JennieWren

Familiar Face
Pink hasn't always been the color for girls. Maybe some of you can tell us more about this?
This was interesting: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/When-Did-Girls-Start-Wearing-Pink.html
In June 1918, an article from the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department advised, "The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl." Through the following decades, several department stores, including Filene's, Halle's and Marshall Field, recommended that boys be dressed in pink.

I have multiple vintage knitting patterns, and I have noticed this in several cases. It seemed to have switched some time around the mid '30's. It was explained to me by a friend who has an encyclopedic knowledge of vintage knitting that pink was considered to be a pale version of red which was thought to be a strong, masculine colour, and blue was associated with the Virgin Mary, and thus suitable for girls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran